Clean drinking water

We never drink the water in France Spain or Portugal on our tours.
Not because there water is not good it's because wd hsve seem so many people Washing there toilets out using the wrong taps .
We buy bottled water for drinking .
I would never drink bottled water.
People washing toilets out with taps isn't really an issue, as long as you wash the tap down before using it. After all, the water comes out of the inside of the tap, not the outside.

Good point! Still a concern for some.

While in deepest darkest foreign places. Okay, the other side of the channel. I’ve been a bit nervous about drinking local tap water. My digestive system has issues. I’d tell you about them, but you might be eating your dinner.
Bottled water is cheap enough, although carrying it is sometimes awkward.
So was thinking of investing in a water purification system. And then using the on board water.
Looked at the Lifesaver cube, and a inline system also.
Any suggestions? Other than, Man Up!

+1 vote for the Lifesaver Jerry Can. I got one a few months ago. Drinking a cuppa now with a load of water I got from a Loch - does the job well. I will have a shower with the rest later as I don’t like using my onboard shower ( it’s crap anyway) and the jerry can I got came with a shower attachment. Just sitting in the sun now and I will boil some later and put it back in to keep it warm.

But yes the £200 for the can is good. I don’t have space for supermarket water for the next 8.2 years! (Based on 3L a day- I don’t even drink that to be honest)

Edit; it also has a tap and can be used upright as well as on it’s side. I keep it behind the toilet where the old filler bottle used to be

The Wiltshire chalk I grew up on is wonderful stuff, well not for kettles and plumbing. Until I emigrated to Yorkshire I never knew I had a serious stomach problem. The chalk took care of it. That said Devizes was another story. The water one side of the town gave you the runs and the other side bunged you up. Bath water had a green tint to it. After a few weeks you'd get used to it, but it makes you wonder about the quality.
In my dads place on Northern Ireland, not only was the Bath Water green (not just tinted green) but bits of twig would usually come through the pipes and past the taps. Needless to say we didn't drink that water and used to use the well in the Courtyard for drinking and cooking.
Most places I have lived the water used to scale up kettles and boilers within seemingly weeks. But here in the Borders, the water is incredibly soft and seems to actually de-furr stuff!
A good indication of water is when washing cars - usually if you don't dry after washing, you get loads of spotting, but not here.

Do you actually drink the water as a drink itself Del, i.e. a glass of water? If you are boiling it there shouldn't be any problems at all. I usually have some containers with water in but I drink and cook with the water in my tank (always boiled). I use the extra containers for convenience, I can have stuff on the glass sink cover and not have to move it to fill the kettle, it gives me longer before I need to top up. One a site/aire where you have water on tap (pun intended) just top up each day and dont worry.

If you are drinking water as a drink in itself then boil it, let it cool and keep some in the fridge

If you are drinking water as a drink in itself then boil it, let it cool and keep some in the fridge
I'm sure you're correct, it is safer that way, but it often tastes terrible after you've boiled it.

[QUOTE="nabsim, post: 181309, member:
[/QUOTE]
I’ll stick with the bottled stuff for drinking water

I’ll stick with the bottled stuff for drinking water
That's a bad idea. The plasticiser in the plastic leach into the water. Very small amounts, but they accumulate in your body. They are endocrine disruptors.
The occasional bottle of water won't do much harm, but regular long term use is extremely unwise.

We have recently done an eight month trip through 15 European countries. Wild camped for most of it. We drank the tap water everywhere. Water in EU countries is perfectly safe to drink. In countries like Greece and Romania communal taps in villages are used by everyone. Bottled water is an environmental disaster.

We found it difficult to find 5 litre bottles of water in supermarkets last time we were in Europe.
Interesting hearing how bad it is , not sure my wife will swallow that one though!!!

WE take one from UK and fill it from suitable taps for drinking water
We also use a "Dead French Wine Barrel" for "cooking water".
Maybe Tommy Cooper "Bottle drink Bottle cook"

We found it difficult to find 5 litre bottles of water in supermarkets last time we were in Europe.
Interesting hearing how bad it is , not sure my wife will swallow that one though!!!
Not many 5 litre bottles. Plenty of 6, 7 and 8 litre bottles. If that’s what you meant 🙄. As well as half and 2.5 litres.
How bad it is? It ain’t bad at all. Shopping here in Portugal is very civilised. A short queue, the shops don’t seem to have any shortage of stock. People observing the 2 metre rule, nearly always. Compared to what Nikki tells me about her local Morrisons, I consider myself blessed to be self isolating, saving the NHS, in rural Portugal.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back