Cow's milk alternatives

jagmanx

From the breadmaking thread, I noted the use of SOY milk instead of buttermilk for soda bread.
Thus have been using it more. Where we are there is also flavoured soy milk eg sesame seed and more.
Porridge..Today I used plain soy milk for porridge...It was very good nice and creamy !
So experiments will continue using soy milk (flavoured if sensible) instead of cow's milk in the small range of recipes we use.
Other milk alternatives, as has been posted, are Almond, Oat, and Coconut and maybe goat's milk

Not sure about this. I do like semi skimmed cow’s milk in my tea, and cereals. Daughter uses lactose free and I find it doesn’t have a very pleasant taste. I’m not keen on the taste of uht either. Yes I am a stick in the mud.

Going onto milk alternatives . How long do they last once opened?

I use almond milk every day, I prefer the taste to any of the other alternatives. Use it in tea/coffee and in porridge etc.

For cooking/baking I am leaning more towards oat milk than anything else. It works really well in pancakes, bread and cakes. Other milks, especially coconut (which I like, btw), cashew and hazelnut etc. are too strongly flavoured for many traditional recipes. Oat milk is nice and neutral.

Can't stand soy milk, btw. Sorry, but personally I think it's a very disappointing product all round 😉 😁

Not sure about this. I do like semi skimmed cow’s milk in my tea, and cereals. Daughter uses lactose free and I find it doesn’t have a very pleasant taste. I’m not keen on the taste of uht either. Yes I am a stick in the mud.

Going onto milk alternatives . How long do they last once opened?
Yes semi-skimmed cows milk in tea and coffee.
Flavoured (eg sesame seed) soy milk is nice with some cereals. I do not go with the likes of chocolate etc

If giving up cow milk completely, goat's milk is a good alternative. Same with sheep's milk, if you can get it!

I quite like goat's milk, it's not to everyone's taste, but I actually now prefer almond milk in tea and coffee and on cereals.

If giving up cow milk completely, goat's milk is a good alternative. Same with sheep's milk, if you can get it!

I quite like goat's milk, it's not to everyone's taste, but I actually now prefer almond milk in tea and coffee and on cereals.
I read somewhere...The Chinese have a much lower incidence of cancer possibly due to lack of dairy produce.
Not surprised you have either given up milk or severely restricted it ! Best wishes.

I drink/use Raw milk , worth trying if you have problems digesting processed milk , couple of friends who were lactose intolerant tried it with result they now use all the time. There are quite few other benefits , compared with other milk

Sorry, I’ve taken your thread off topic. Unusual for me 😉.
I’m intrigued in finding a way of making milk last longer in the van. Apart from keeping it chilled, I’m not sure there’s another way. Apart from powdered or developing a taste for uht🤢

Small cartons of eg Goats milk or almond or oat MAY help if you find the taste good.
Soy probably nogo (taste)
SOME UHT is OK and agian small cartons..the semi-skimmed works for us as a backup
OR go posh and drink posh tea with lemon juice (fresh of course !)

PS it lasts a very long time if you do not use any ! :devilish:

I drink/use Raw milk , worth trying if you have problems digesting processed milk , couple of friends who were lactose intolerant tried it with result they now use all the time. There are quite few other benefits , compared with other milk

I used to love unpasteurised milk products! 😟 😢

I'm not lactose intolerant, just being bit careful now after cancer diagnosis last year.
It's like shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted I suppose, and I do still have proper dairy once in a blue moon as a treat.
When I do, it will be unpasteurised for sure 😉 😋

Yes like artificial sweeteners etc

Is Pasteurised milk a natural product ?

Using the definition of ultra processed in the article “What characterises ultra-processed foods is that they are so altered that it can be hard to recognise the underlying ingredients”, I’d reckon it is natural.

When moving away from natural products there can be pitfalls, as this article describes.

The only item mentioned that I actually use regularly is almond milk.
None of the other things mentioned on that 'offenders' list would ever get over my doorstep 😉

Considering that I eat very little else that is 'fattening', I reckon I can easily get away with almond milk as a substitute for dairy milk.

It's also worth noting that nuts in general have a high fat content, but despite being high in fat and calories, they are incredibly healthy.
And regularly eating nuts as part of a healthy diet is definitely not associated with weight gain.

The only item mentioned that I actually use regularly is almond milk.
None of the other things mentioned on that 'offenders' list would ever get over my doorstep 😉

Considering that I eat very little else that is 'fattening', I reckon I can easily get away with almond milk as a substitute for dairy milk.

It's also worth noting that nuts in general have a high fat content, but despite being high in fat and calories, they are incredibly healthy.
And regularly eating nuts as part of a healthy diet is definitely not associated with weight gain.

The 'Almond Drink' (aka almond milk) that I have - branded 'Rude Health' - has 1% almond in it. It's principally rice.

Colin :):):)

The 'Almond Drink' (aka almond milk) that I have - branded 'Rude Health' - has 1% almond in it. It's principally rice.

Colin :):):)

I use Plenish organic almond milk, the one they do in a 1 litre carton, not a plastic bottle.

Water, almonds (6%), sea salt and that's it.

The only place I can find this particular product now is at Sainsbury's.

They seem to have it on offer every time I go in (it's not cheap), so I keep buying plenty to show a demand... because normally when I find something that I like, or works, the blinkin' manufacturers stop bloomin' making it!!! 😝 😳

A lot of milk is very processed now , clarification, homogenization, pasteurization , filtration, etc etc , mostly to maximise profits by using fractional constituents. .

A lot of milk is very processed now , clarification, homogenization, pasteurization , filtration, etc etc , mostly to maximise profits by using fractional constituents. .

... and American milk, if it hits these shores, will be full of extra hormones and antibiotics, most of which have been banned by the EU :oops:

Good old fashioned, unpasteurised, local and (hopefully) organic dairy products would be the way to go, if you still want to eat cow products, imho;)

I started to eat FAT, ie full gold top, butter, lard, and coconut oil, I forgot the other stuff like bread, pasta, rice and went very low carb having meat, fats, and protein, lost 1-1/2 stone in three weeks, and it stays off being now more muscle than ever before. I am 70 and the same weight as when I was a teenager, with a 30" waist. My Hba1C is now 4.1 as against a pre-diabetic level of 6.1. Keep away from all sugars and starches and watch your health improve. Yogurt and full cream on fruit for breakfast with alternate day, full fry up bacon eggs and sausages.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back