Cow's milk alternatives

I started to eat FAT, ie full gold top, butter, lard, and coconut oil, I forgot the other stuff like bread, pasta, rice and went very low carb having meat, fats, and protein, lost 1-1/2 stone in three weeks, and it stays off being now more muscle than ever before. I am 70 and the same weight as when I was a teenager, with a 30" waist. My Hba1C is now 4.1 as against a pre-diabetic level of 6.1. Keep away from all sugars and starches and watch your health improve. Yogurt and full cream on fruit for breakfast with alternate day, full fry up bacon eggs and sausages.
That’s the Keto Diet isn’t it? It seems to work for some, for others it has the reverse affect. Weight goes on. Maybe a metabolism thing. Glad it worked for you.
Me? A fairly sensible diet, with a little moderate exercise, works pretty well. Plus, I do enjoy the occasional packet of biscuits.

The Keto diet? There are fierce camps for and against, always sounded very extreme to me and I think the jury is still out on this, as with many other so-called 'diets'.

Use your own judgement about what you eat along with a big dollop of common sense.

My main approach nowadays is to try and eat as organic as possible, which is pretty challenging considering we're been polluting our global eco systems quite badly for the last few decades, so there's all sorts of extra stuff in our food chains regardless of whether produce is organic or not.

I also wonder just how good our sewerage treatment systems are? There are antibiotics and hormones (from birth control pills) and go knows what else filtered through into just about everything, that's before you get onto the microscopic plastics that are found as deep down as the bottom of the Marianna Trench.

Got thinking last year what happens to all the chemo drugs that pass through your system when you're undergoing cancer treatment? Doesn't bear thinking about, imho.... :oops::eek:

Last edited:
We are sold on Cows milk and it is much easier to get it in Spain Portugal and France, these days fresh that is pasteurised and semi skimmed, we used to have UHT as that was widely available and got used to it over the years easier to keep of course but do prefer fresh.

Thi
We are sold on Cows milk and it is much easier to get it in Spain Portugal and France, these days fresh that is pasteurised and semi skimmed, we used to have UHT as that was widely available and got used to it over the years easier to keep of course but do prefer fresh.
That’s the problem isn’t it, not all supermarkets carry fresh milk in Spain. Not even some of the bigger ones.
I almost got caught out buying milk in thr supermarket by the Menin Gate. Luckily for me, the (very) attractive* young lady put me right. What I had pick up, was sour milk, for cooking.

* I might be old, but I’m not dead, yet 😇

We always freeze our milk after the monthly big shop. I remember as a sprog in the winter the milk always had about a couple of inches of ice cream above the bottle top and under the cap, this was a special treat for my brother and I

We always freeze our milk after the monthly big shop. I remember as a sprog in the winter the milk always had about a couple of inches of ice cream above the bottle top and under the cap, this was a special treat for my brother and I

Yuck our school milk was like that, it put me off milk totally for years, went on to black coffee in my teens (never did like tea), and never really used milk for years because of school milk. I buy one pint of proper milk a week now as I have a couple of bowls of muesli a week, but I sometimes get coconut instead. I don't like semi skimmed or skimmed or UHT or any of the others.

I drink/use Raw milk , worth trying if you have problems digesting processed milk , couple of friends who were lactose intolerant tried it with result they now use all the time. There are quite few other benefits , compared with other milk
We also drink/use raw milk and buy yoghurt from the same farm, while there we buy fresh duck eggs and large hens eggs, all organic

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back