Cracked shower tray

Number 14 might be correct.

I think I might attack it gently with a soldering iron to firstly seal the surface, make sure it is as clean as possible, as the paint I linked to is quite thick I might be tempted to put a piece of aluminium tape, or maybe the white gorilla duct tape (it's smooth) to add a bit of strength to it first

Speedcoat have quoted £385. 10 year guarantee - so they must have confidence in their work. They will visit to do the work so no need to take the van somewhere and collect it later.

What is Speedcoat (the people who did a bad job on mine used speedcoat, it peeled offeasily) intending to do?

I just had a look at the cracks, it looks to me like there is little or no support under the tray so I would definitely sort that out first, or it may just happen again and no warranty will cover that, but once you have done the support then the stuff I linked to would be more than good enough.

Try some anti slip stickers from ebay loads of colour and shapes.
Had one on my old swift for years. covering a small hole.never leaked .

The points made about ensuring shower tray is supported are sound advice.
... injecting low expansion foam ...

... Injected low expanding PU foam ...

Most of the foam available appears to expand up to 50 times. Not sure how much pressure it exerts but I would not want to force things apart!

Any links to low-expansion foam would be appreciated.

Try some anti slip stickers from ebay loads of colour and shapes.
Had one on my old swift for years. covering a small hole.never leaked .
Good idea. this could work on a flat surface but the crack follows the curve of the ridge, which is not so clear in the photos, so I'm not sure it would be effective.

The points made about ensuring shower tray is supported are sound advice.

Most of the foam available appears to expand up to 50 times. Not sure how much pressure it exerts but I would not want to force things apart!

Any links to low-expansion foam would be appreciated.
I can't provide any links without doing what you could do, and resort to Google. However, it was the Speedcoat repairer who injected the foam in the case of my repair and I was prepared to rely on their professional expertise to get this right.

Reactions: UFO
Now completed stage 1 of the cracked shower tray repair, using the ideas provided here.

Drilled holes at the end of the cracks, to stop them spreading, plus one halfway along. The larger holes are 6.5mm as this is the diameter of the expanding foam delivery tube.

Glued cracks using Plast Aid. First time using this and it is impressive. Not sure how much glue I got into the cracks but I was able to open the cracks a bit and force some in, plus there is a surface covering.

Injected Ever Build Exact Gap Foam. Quite a lot went in but difficult to know how much, just kept squirting until it was coming out of all the holes. Despite being Minimal Expansion Foam it does expand a bit - it kept coming out of the holes for a while. With hindsight I could have put some tape over the holes so that more of the foam expanded under the shower tray and not out of the holes.1

Filled holes, after clearing foam from the tops of the holes, with Plast Aid and sanded down when it was dried hard. It looks pretty solid and appears to be sealed.

With Plast Aid you can test whether it will work by applying some of the liquid on your finger to the part to be glued. If it goes tacky it should work. Useful manufacturers video on YouTube. One of the complaints in the reviews was that if you pour the liquid to mix with the powder and lot of liquid goes down the outside of the bottle. I used a short drinking straw and put my finger over the end - no spillage and easier to control how much liquid is added.

Now need to decide which paint to use, 'Protectakote WB' or 'Paints R Us cracked shower tray paint'.
IMG_20210924_153231.jpg

Had cracks appear all around the shower tray on my Globecar after 3. years from new, while wintering in Iberia, tried builder's expanding foam and Arraldite, as a temporary fix, once back in UK had a proper job done by Speedcoat at their HQ in Luddlow, brilliant repair, looks better than new, with a lifetime warranty.
Most accommodating, stayed overnight, with hookup, at their premises, in my van while the repair cured.
4 years on it still like new.

Had cracks appear all around the shower tray on my Globecar after 3. years from new, while wintering in Iberia, tried builder's expanding foam and Arraldite, as a temporary fix, once back in UK had a proper job done by Speedcoat at their HQ in Luddlow, brilliant repair, looks better than new, with a lifetime warranty.
Most accommodating, stayed overnight, with hookup, at their premises, in my van while the repair cured.
4 years on it still like new.
Ours has a lifetime warranty as well looks like they are not doing that now Mike !

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back