Cruise control aftermarket

So we have 2 options for automation
1 CC .
2 Autobox
I have ised both
No 2 a big old jag (XJ6)
No 1 an Xtype jag with 5 speed manual gearbox and CC.
Happy to do without both as per @marchie but recognise the advantages
I guess having both is good but not yet !!!!
I did find the auto box handy in heavy traffic.
Depends which leg hurts most !
Semi auto boxes where you can change gear without you using the clutch seem a good idea !
I fitted Cruise Control to save my right ankle.

When I was looking at vans back in 2012, I borrowed a brand new Mercedes Vito for a weekend to try out and had to do about 300 miles to go to various appointments so was commited to use it. I was only about 50 miles into my trip when the LEFT ankle was hurting. The clutch pedal was in an horrible position and every push down became more and more painful :(
I really could not wait to hand that van back (a shame as lovely van apart from that problem).

Being serious I do tend to forget that a lot of people have manual gearboxes as I have always had automatics (apart from motorcycles) since the 70’s. I have always found CC to be very good but this is coupled with auto box, can’t really imagine how it could work as well on a manual as it relies on the driver to change gear on steep hills.

Best I had was on a fully loaded Volvo 960 saloon (straight 6 3.0 petrol restricted to 240bhp with the uprated suspension and steering that was introduced in 95). I had an old Cosalt Safari caravan and going to a friends wedding I set cruise at 60mph and only took it off for fuel/refreshment stops. The journey from Buxton in Derbyshire to Inverness and never missed a beat. Never varied by more than +/-2mph either up or down hill and there were some big ones. Recall one long hill section in Scotland where it’s two or three lanes each side, Granada (May have been Scorpio then) with a van on tow made moves to overtake managed to get alongside before it started to slowly drop back then a horrible grinding noise and it vanished backwards. That car was true comfort and luxury

Being serious I do tend to forget that a lot of people have manual gearboxes as I have always had automatics (apart from motorcycles) since the 70’s. I have always found CC to be very good but this is coupled with auto box, can’t really imagine how it could work as well on a manual as it relies on the driver to change gear on steep hills.

Best I had was on a fully loaded Volvo 960 saloon (straight 6 3.0 petrol restricted to 240bhp with the uprated suspension and steering that was introduced in 95). I had an old Cosalt Safari caravan and going to a friends wedding I set cruise at 60mph and only took it off for fuel/refreshment stops. The journey from Buxton in Derbyshire to Inverness and never missed a beat. Never varied by more than +/-2mph either up or down hill and there were some big ones. Recall one long hill section in Scotland where it’s two or three lanes each side, Granada (May have been Scorpio then) with a van on tow made moves to overtake managed to get alongside before it started to slowly drop back then a horrible grinding noise and it vanished backwards. That car was true comfort and luxury
I have it on the car and it doesn't seem to bother it on steep hill, but if I do need to change down I just change down and press resume, pressing the clutch cuts it off.

I find it useful for not speeding as it's easy to slowly increase your speed when getting earache from the passenger/s so many signs these days and idiots on phones who rely on me seeing them, the speedo is the last place to look.

It seems to work in any gear above 20 in the car I just wish there was a crawler gear on the car as on and off the clutch does my head in and my knee and my hip.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back