Cruise control aftermarket

Due to bad joints I wouldn’t buy a vehicle that doesn’t have cruise control or be able to have it fitted,
I don’t think you can put a price on pain relief
Sounds like we're all in the same Boat with the Old Age thingy...drive for a couple of hrs then can't get out the Van 😖🏳

Last edited:
A member did his own on Wild Camping, not too easy but can be done.

Regards,
Del

Something that has not been mentioned and also not mentioned on that post about the 244 install is about Airbags (maybe the 244 doesn't have a Drivers Airbag?)
To fit an Cruise Control stalk it is almost definately neccessary to remove the front of the steering wheel, which will on most modernish vehicles contain an Airbag module. Make sure this is deactivated fully before attempting removal and follow the required procedures to avoid an Airbag warning doesn't come up during the installation process (removing all battery power is likely the way to go).

I know when I have done Cruise Control installs, this airbag removal was the most nerve-wracking experience each time!

Even when stripping down to this level on the T5 to replace just one silly plastic part, removing the airbag was the worst part!
1673211488957.png

High on my priorities list was retrofitting CC to both my 906 Sprinter and my 2E Crafter. both mine are autos so I only needed the stalk and coding.

Stalks are pennies on eBay but coding turned out to be an issue, many dealerships don't want to do it if you have bought the parts elsewhere so much phoning around ensued.

The Sprinter was eventually done by Roanza at Deeside, quote was half an hours labour (£90 +vat) it took them 4 hours!
They had no end of problems communicating with the MB mothership servers but eventually got it done at the agreed price.

The Crafter coding was a real pita, Listers in Kidderminster are supposed to know how to do it but despite several phone calls I could not make an appointment they just didn't want to know.

Then I heard of a VW Retrofit in Redditch he confirmed he could do it so off we went. bad move, as soon as he got VCDS out I knew I had wasted my time and quite a few quids worth of Diesel driving there, VCDS can not do it on the 2E variant.

I then decided to try the Kufatec coding dongle, despite it costing more to buy than the typical labour at a main dealer, and zero evidence anyone had ever used it on the Crafter, if successful it would potentially work out cheaper than driving all over the place taking pot luck, It did work and I am now a happy bunny!

FYI
CC is not quite as responsive in a heavy van as it is in a car, I use it almost constantly especially in 20 & 30 MPH zones, I set it based on the GPS speed not the stupidly inaccurate speedo speed, however it can be very slow to react on hill etc.

The van can lose a lot of momentum whilst the auto box hunts about for a gear, and then it will often over accelerate to compensate, not good if cresting the brow of a hill etc as easy to go over the limit. So I need to help it from time to time by feeding in a bit of throttle on the approach to hills etc.

The additional limit function on the stalk is brilliant for avoiding going over e.g. 50Mph in average speed roadworks etc

I don't have any experience of the aftermarket types such as mentioned previously from CA but I would definitely want to know how responsive it was to demand before purchase.

I don't have any experience of the aftermarket types such as mentioned previously from CA but I would definitely want to know how responsive it was to demand before purchase.
Answer .... very :)
Also, on the Gold Cruise I fitted, I chose the stalk with 3 presets as well as the usual + and - buttons.
Very handy as my 120 mile trip to the office involved frequent speed limit changes between 50, 60 and 70, as well as lots of Cameras en-route. So I set the buttons to 50, 60 and 70 (real speed via an EODB reader*) and could just press the right preset for upcoming road. Lovely

.... I set it based on the GPS speed not the stupidly inaccurate speedo speed, however it can be very slow to react on hill etc.
* This may be of interest... The speedos on vehicles are generally wrong, but weirdly the vehicle DOES know the real speed it is doing I have found when reading the speed from the EOBD port. Exactly why THAT info is not used for the speedo display is most strange.

Answer .... very :)
Also, on the Gold Cruise I fitted, I chose the stalk with 3 presets as well as the usual + and - buttons.
Very handy as my 120 mile trip to the office involved frequent speed limit changes between 50, 60 and 70, as well as lots of Cameras en-route. So I set the buttons to 50, 60 and 70 (real speed via an EODB reader*) and could just press the right preset for upcoming road. Lovely

* This may be of interest... The speedos on vehicles are generally wrong, but weirdly the vehicle DOES know the real speed it is doing I have found when reading the speed from the EOBD port. Exactly why THAT info is not used for the speedo display is most strange.
I read somewhere that they are set to be optimistic to avoid speeding cameras, when using a sat nav speedo or the Veloceraptor speedo seem to be 2-3MPH slower.

So we have 2 options for automation
1 CC .
2 Autobox
I have ised both
No 2 a big old jag (XJ6)
No 1 an Xtype jag with 5 speed manual gearbox and CC.
Happy to do without both as per @marchie but recognise the advantages
I guess having both is good but not yet !!!!
I did find the auto box handy in heavy traffic.
Depends which leg hurts most !
Semi auto boxes where you can change gear without you using the clutch seem a good idea !

I'd love a proper slush box in a van, it's take precedence over other stuff possibly, like a passenger seat in the cab, imagine that, PAQ while driving, excellent.

I take it your spouse cannot read this ?
You would have more than your knees to worry about !

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back