Crumbling carpets fix

Vanterrier

The fitted carpets in my van were crusty and crumbling and the backing was leaving sandy dust all over the floor. The upper side of the carpets are good so did not want to pay out for replacements.
I bought a litre of liquid latex on eBay for a Tenner and gave the backs of each carpet or mat two coats and the crumbling has now been stopped.

It's an easy and cheap fix and well worth the effort.

K ;)

I wish I'd thought of that. I didn't know such a stuff existed..

When we changed our van last year I thew out a couple of over mats because they were crumbly underneath. I'll know in future.

The fitted carpets in my van were crusty and crumbling and the backing was leaving sandy dust all over the floor. The upper side of the carpets are good so did not want to pay out for replacements.
I bought a litre of liquid latex on eBay for a Tenner and gave the backs of each carpet or mat two coats and the crumbling has now been stopped.

K ;)
Thanks for this as I tried PVA glue on a small corner of mine to see if it worked but it was crap so I will try the latex now.

Last edited:
hi.
i went to Franks for carpets shop. if you go down the back of
the shop where the left over cut offs are left by the vans they
only charge a £5 for them. i wait till there is one big enough to
fit the full van then take the old one out use it as a template to
cut new carpet to size. i renew it every year.

Ours were replaced under warranty by dealer as swift rejected claim but one in the cab seems to be going the same way as clearly not up to spec.
May have to do this as solution.

K ;)
Hi,my carpets are the same,ordered the liquid latex from your link,it seems quite runny,a bit scared to use incase it goes straight through, was it OK??

Hi,my carpets are the same,ordered the liquid latex from your link,it seems quite runny,a bit scared to use incase it goes straight through, was it OK??
I've used the Trustleaf liquid latex (yes, "liquid" = "runny") with no problem on my carpets, but can't comment on your carpets.

Mines a wooden floor with small sample mates i get free from a carpet showroom, when dirty or scuffed I turf them.tr 5.jpggear boot.jpg

I had no problem but try a small patch and dont pour it on, use a brush and just use enough to soak the dry crumbly stuff which will dry nice and flexible.
Good luck
K ;)

K ;)
Replaced ours with carpet tiles. Easy to clean, hoover, replace if needed. Made templates so they fit snug like a fitted carpet. People don't realise they are tiles.
What we should be doing is complaining to manufacturers about the quality of carpet they are using.

Replaced ours with carpet tiles. Easy to clean, hoover, replace if needed. Made templates so they fit snug like a fitted carpet. People don't realise they are tiles.
What we should be doing is complaining to manufacturers about the quality of carpet they are using.
Thirteen years old.They ain't done bad. The latex gave them a new lease of life.:)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back