Data only sim

Three is very popular but I have noticed that when roaming I usually only get 3G from roaming on Three, even though I know 4G is available, because I have router software that shows all networks locally. However I have also discovered that 3G is 90% of the time about half the speed of 4G, and I hardly ever get buffering while streaming on 3G. It's fast enough for anything really. I find that no matter where I am, 3G is about 4 to 10Mbs, and 4G is between 10 and 30Mbs, occasionally less. These speeds are below the advertised and theoretical maximums, but good enough. I have been EU data roaming for over 20 years and it has gone from an incredibly expensive and frustrating experience to the point where it just works with hardly any problems, almost anywhere, at an average prepaid cost of between 50c (cheap) and €1 (expensive) per Gig, depending on country. Unlike the UK which still has quite a few "notspots", I find that even the remotest areas in Europe are usually well covered.

Tethering - using a Mifi or router or hotspot - is nowadays usually always allowed. There are occasional exceptions, but far fewer than a few years ago. The EU recently made it illegal to restrict data to a phone only which resulted, amongst other things, that in the UK, Three had to de-restrict their unlimited deal and make it work for tethering, which is brilliant in the UK. But when roaming in the EU Three restrict you to 19Gb, which is not bad.

Another thing worth considering is Three's £5 EU data pass, which has been around for years. It gives unlimited data access, tetherable, from midnight to midnight UK time. At £5 a day it's expensive, but if you have a specific requirement, like Wimbledon, or long Snooker sessions, or very long and large and very naughty downloading sessions, then it represents great value for occasional use.

Last edited:
I’m going to need a new sim for my wifi. Touring France, Spain and Portugal. Spending the bulk of my time in Spain.
Can anyone recommend a data only SIM card supplier. My Brit one . reduces data from 24 gb to 12 when used abroad , cheers

We installed a Huwawei aerial and router in the Dethleffs and acquired a Vodaphone sim on a limited contract. We were 5 weeks around France and we’re never without WiFi

I use 3D watchdog pro on my android to tell me how much data I use, I recommend getting this or its iphone equivalent if that’s what you have.

Also check your options on the three app. On Vodafone I can stop any charges to the bill so if the data is used up it just stops. I would have thought they all do this.
I use 3D watchdog pro on my android to tell me how much data I use, I recommend getting this or its iphone equivalent if that’s what you have.

Also check your options on the three app. On Vodafone I can stop any charges to the bill so if the data is used up it just stops. I would have thought they all do this.

I negotiated a 60Gb data sim contract with 3 and pay £17 a month. I watch films and rarely get close to running out. It is worth noting that 3 are the only provider who have stated that there will be no roaming charge even if a no deal Brexit. All the others are sitting on the fence at the moment.

There is now a thing called Net Neutrality

So any sim card on any plan should be able to be used in any devices for any purpose.

Just want to double-check something ... Working on the basis of Net Neutrality, as mentioned by @Admin, my understanding is that it doesn't matter what SIM you get from a given provider, you can do exactly the same things with it within the package you bought?

This seems to be born out by my Sky Mobile Phone SIM that has lived in my MiFi Router for the last couple of years and always worked despite officially being a Phone SIM.

I have been on the EE Shop as I am after a SIM that offers unlimited Data to use at home once my current wired Broadband deal finishes in the next month or so.

Option 1:
Unlimited Data on 24 Month Contract - £50 with £100 Upfront for Device
Unlimited Data on 1 Month Contract - £55 with £275 Upfront for Device.
So they are discounting £175 off the Device for 24 month deal (=£7.30 a month value)

Or
Option 2:
Unlimited Data on 12 Month Contract - £37
Unlimited Data on 24 Month Contract - £35
And buy your own Router (such as this - https://amzn.to/3wkL5ra) for only a little more than option 1s upfront cost.

As far as I can see, the SIM would provide the same in both cases but the monthly cost saving of Option 2 is £13, so a fairly considerable £312 saving over the contract?

The same situation with THREE (though less of a gap) ..
Unlimited Mobile Broadband:
£26 a Month for 12 Months, £22 a Month for 24 months, or £27 for a Month with a £29 charge for the Dongle
OR
Phone Sim with Unlimited Data:
£21 a Month for 12 Months, £21 a month for 24 months, or £28 for a Month (no device)
the THREE Phone Sims don't include a Dongle of course, but do include unlimited calls and texts (irrelavent really, but shows giving more for less.

The THREE prices are also way better than the EE prices - If (and I think it could be a big IF for my location but I will check) the signal for both is acceptable, any reason to pay the extra for EE? (the THREE Dongle supports 10 connections - I wonder if that is also a THREE Network limit even when the SIM is put in a Router that supports many more? such as the one I linked to which supports 64 connections? (I need at least 40 I think?))

Finally ... I have not included cashback sites like Quidco, etc above in the prices. That is deliberate. Before I search for the best overall deal, I am just trying to make sure that it is not important which "type" of SIM you get to how you use it i.e. an EE Phone SIM with Unlimited Data will do EXACTLY the same as an EE Mobile Broadband SIM with Unlimited Data?

Just want to double-check something ... Working on the basis of Net Neutrality, as mentioned by @Admin, my understanding is that it doesn't matter what SIM you get from a given provider, you can do exactly the same things with it within the package you bought?

This seems to be born out by my Sky Mobile Phone SIM that has lived in my MiFi Router for the last couple of years and always worked despite officially being a Phone SIM.

I have been on the EE Shop as I am after a SIM that offers unlimited Data to use at home once my current wired Broadband deal finishes in the next month or so.

Option 1:
Unlimited Data on 24 Month Contract - £50 with £100 Upfront for Device
Unlimited Data on 1 Month Contract - £55 with £275 Upfront for Device.
So they are discounting £175 off the Device for 24 month deal (=£7.30 a month value)

Or
Option 2:
Unlimited Data on 12 Month Contract - £37
Unlimited Data on 24 Month Contract - £35
And buy your own Router (such as this - https://amzn.to/3wkL5ra) for only a little more than option 1s upfront cost.

As far as I can see, the SIM would provide the same in both cases but the monthly cost saving of Option 2 is £13, so a fairly considerable £312 saving over the contract?

The same situation with THREE (though less of a gap) ..
Unlimited Mobile Broadband:
£26 a Month for 12 Months, £22 a Month for 24 months, or £27 for a Month with a £29 charge for the Dongle
OR
Phone Sim with Unlimited Data:
£21 a Month for 12 Months, £21 a month for 24 months, or £28 for a Month (no device)
the THREE Phone Sims don't include a Dongle of course, but do include unlimited calls and texts (irrelavent really, but shows giving more for less.

The THREE prices are also way better than the EE prices - If (and I think it could be a big IF for my location but I will check) the signal for both is acceptable, any reason to pay the extra for EE? (the THREE Dongle supports 10 connections - I wonder if that is also a THREE Network limit even when the SIM is put in a Router that supports many more? such as the one I linked to which supports 64 connections? (I need at least 40 I think?))

Finally ... I have not included cashback sites like Quidco, etc above in the prices. That is deliberate. Before I search for the best overall deal, I am just trying to make sure that it is not important which "type" of SIM you get to how you use it i.e. an EE Phone SIM with Unlimited Data will do EXACTLY the same as an EE Mobile Broadband SIM with Unlimited Data?
If 3 turns out to be an option, might be worth considering Smarty. Buy your own device. The contract renews monthly, so no long-term commitment.

If 3 turns out to be an option, might be worth considering Smarty. Buy your own device. The contract renews monthly, so no long-term commitment.
Cheers, its an option. I have done the 3 "Unlimited Data" 12 month contract a couple of times via quido in the past, which was good value but coverage was a touch sketchy. I have ordered a free unregistered 3 SIM and when that arrives will try it out and see what the situation is currently reception wise.

Virgin unlimited date phone contract is brilliant.
we use as a hot spot in the house running everything .Approx 200gb per month.
Our freind is in Spain at the moment and been using there's for all there usage TV Internet with no problems..
With no extra costs..

Virgin unlimited date phone contract is brilliant.
we use as a hot spot in the house running everything .Approx 200gb per month.
Our freind is in Spain at the moment and been using there's for all there usage TV Internet with no problems..
With no extra costs..
What network is virgin running on now?

Just looked ..... Virgin Mobile uses the EE and Vodaphone networks, but is owned by Virgin Media 02. gawd, they like to confuse people!

Update: This may be of interest to some on Virgin Mobile .... https://www.4g.co.uk/virgin-mobile-4g-coverage-network-summary/
4G network switching from EE to Vodaphone by early 2022 (so by now, I guess?)

Last edited:
Well, no one seemed to confirm any difference and general experience is phone sim works as 'proper' mobile broadband, so going to work on that basis :)
4G router ordered (gone for the non-Cat6 one that still allows 64 connections).
Network Provider maps suggest 4G coverage in my location good inside and out for O2, Virgin and EE. THREE is much more sketchy, and as the speed seems typically slower anyway, going to leave that option out. I'll try out my Sky Mobile SIM first (runs on O2) and see how that goes when used under 'proper' load :)

Last edited:
Well, no one seemed to confirm any difference and general experience is phone sim works as 'proper' mobile broadband, so going to work on that basis :)
4G router ordered (gone for the non-Cat6 one that still allows 64 connections).
Network Provider maps suggest 4G coverage in my location good inside and out for O2, Virgin and EE. THREE is much more sketchy, and as the speed seems typically slower anyway, going to leave that option out. I'll try out my Sky Mobile SIM first (runs on O2) and see how that goes when used under 'proper' load :)

I have 3 mobile at home and have had it 2 years.
It works well and supports our phones, tv, alexa and doorbell perfectly.
I got in through Quidco as described by Phil, which gives you cash back, last time it worked out at approx £11 per month.
I hope this helps and doesn't confuse tge situation.

I have 3 mobile at home and have had it 2 years.
It works well and supports our phones, tv, alexa and doorbell perfectly.
I got in through Quidco as described by Phil, which gives you cash back, last time it worked out at approx £11 per month.
I hope this helps and doesn't confuse tge situation.
I did the Qudico deal as well aa couple of times and it was useful for the Motorhome. :)
But no use for somewhere where reception is will be poor 100% of the time. even a bargain price would be a waste of money in that situation ;)

It is often worth checking for alternative suppliers who piggyback your chosen provider's network. For example I am on Talkmobile which runs on the Voda-dog network ( and incidentally is owned by Voda-dog ! Just like BT own Plusnet.). Talkmobile is considerably cheaper than Vodaphone's "direct " prices. If you go to Martin Lewis's Moneysavingexpert website, you can compare and get the best available offer at that time.

I did the Qudico deal as well aa couple of times and it was useful for the Motorhome. :)
But no use for somewhere where reception is will be poor 100% of the time. even a bargain price would be a waste of money in that situation ;)
For general information, 3 will not offer their Home Broadband to addresses at which they consider their indoor coverage to be inadequate. I was therefore unable to go for that, but bought my own router and loft aerial and am using the 3 network (with Smarty), getting good reliability and far better speeds than with the copper wire that is still the only fixed line option here. Worth checking, therefore, whether 3 are prepared to offer the service: https://www.three.co.uk/store/broadband/home-broadband

For general information, 3 will not offer their Home Broadband to addresses at which they consider their indoor coverage to be inadequate. I was therefore unable to go for that, but bought my own router and loft aerial and am using the 3 network (with Smarty), getting good reliability and far better speeds than with the copper wire that is still the only fixed line option here. Worth checking, therefore, whether 3 are prepared to offer the service: https://www.three.co.uk/store/broadband/home-broadband
For me, pointless, as their network checker for coverage says 4G is pants (or similar word).

But your post touches the actual question I raised and which no one has really directly answered .... what is the difference from a given provider between Mobile Home Broadband vs Mobile Broadband vs Phone Sim with a Data Package?
In reality it seems to be if they include a router of some kind and its features. The actual SIM will be identical I think and any of those SIMs will perform identically in the same device it would seem.

For me, pointless, as their network checker for coverage says 4G is pants (or similar word).

But your post touches the actual question I raised and which no one has really directly answered .... what is the difference from a given provider between Mobile Home Broadband vs Mobile Broadband vs Phone Sim with a Data Package?
In reality it seems to be if they include a router of some kind and its features. The actual SIM will be identical I think and any of those SIMs will perform identically in the same device it would seem.
No difference at all as far as I can work out. Have used Three home broadband SIM in phone occasionally (used as hotspot, data only sim in dual SIM phone) and in mifi when travelling. The speeds, as you say, controlled by the device. In the barn we have a poynter aerial connected to mifi and that gives a better signal than if same SIM is in the phone.

I'm off to Spain for 2 weeks so I just bought a monthly SIM with iDmobile, not over impressed, they say min contract one month, maybe but there is a one month notice to disconnect, so it is two months, Bought it on line on Sunday and whilst I have not SIM or anything on the day I bought it they still bill you from Sunday, with postage time that is 3 days before it is usable!
So the 2 weeks of data I need will cost me £40.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back