Dead battery

Exactly, that was the whole point of it, so battery stayed charged up whilst it wasn't being used for a few months whilst I was out of the country. Worked a treat.
You may loose more with alarms or the brain if you have one in the van, 30/50 w panel would be a safer bet, glad you got sorted, phils a gem.

Well just to add to my saga Phil has kindly refitted the battery and added an isolator switch.
Hiwever theres now a little issue of the mouse droppings which I thought were just in the outside locker. Daft me there bloomin everywhere!

Well just to add to my saga Phil has kindly refitted the battery and added an isolator switch.
Hiwever theres now a little issue of the mouse droppings which I thought were just in the outside locker. Daft me there bloomin everywhere!
oh no !

Assuming there isn't a parasitic drain, a good battery will be fine over a month or two if not being used.
If the battery is faulty, a solar panel may help, but how big the solar panel has to be is simply a matter of how faulty the battery is and how much sun there is.
Just as a steady income is one way to cope with a hole on your pocket that leaks change, it really isn't the best solution.
Far better to mend the pocket/replace the faulty battery.

If it isn't faulty, unless something is taking power out when it's not in use, it won't go flat.
Adding the isolator will tell you. With that off, no current will leak. So if the battery goes flat, it's faulty.

Mice can get through any hole big enough to poke a biro through. If they were only on an outside locker, they'd have been daft not to try to move into somewhere warmer.
Beware that mice like to nibble at the plastic insulation of your wiring. Get rid of them asap or all sorts of electrical faults may happen. They might even be the cause of the flat battery.

Remember that there will be several mice to get rid of.

When our MH was stored a mouse somehow got in and took lots of dried spaghetti through the blown air vent into the garage where it made a nest in a folding chair.

Mice can get through any hole big enough to poke a biro through. If they were only on an outside locker, they'd have been daft not to try to move into somewhere warmer.
Beware that mice like to nibble at the plastic insulation of your wiring. Get rid of them asap or all sorts of electrical faults may happen. They might even be the cause of the flat battery.

Remember that there will be several mice to get rid of.
We had a plague of field mice entering our kitchen 2 years ago via a tiny unsealed gap in the window frame. Final score was 45 of the crafty little devils [it quickly became 'Marchie v. The Mice, this time it's personal'], who learned to avoid being killed in the traps by running at them, to knock them over and trigger the release. 4 dabs of Blu Tak on the foot of the trap stopped that little game, but I still caught 3 who remained alive, who had been caught by one leg whilst trying to spring the trap. Putting them out of their misery by garotting with a piece of tongue & groove timber kept my fingers safe, but it was a wee bit grim ...

Steve

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back