Dead battery

what is one of these little solar thingies to sit on dashboard.......,does it already have leads to connect it to battery..........

van battery been disconnected........will have to get it on charge...thanks for this thread ........

what is one of these little solar thingies to sit on dashboard.......,does it already have leads to connect it to battery..........many thanks
No, you need to add the leads. It does come with cables that can just be plugged into the cigar lighter if it works with the car keys taken out.

Simple way is to have leads from a solar regulator which is connected to the battery, then wired to a cigy plug so you can just plug the panel in, this plug cannot be used for anything else.

Only just seen this so you may well have sorted it.

However this my help you and others if you have a problem with batteries discharging for no reason.

stay safe

Make sure the battery is fully charged, (12.6 volts.)

Unplug or switch off all devices and make sure no electrical components are on that are run from the leasure battery.

Remove the negative battery cable from the negative battery terminal.

Set up a digital multimeter.

Choose a digital meter than can read up to 20 amps and down to 200 milliamps.
The multimeter has both a black wire and a red wire attached to it as well as several different input slots. Plug the black wire to the "com" (common) input and plug the red wire into the highest amp input (usually 20A). Set the dial on the multimeter to measure amps.
Attach the multimeter between the negative battery cable and terminal. (Place the red lead through the clamp at the end of the negative battery cable. Touch the black lead to the negative battery terminal.) You can use plastic clamps to secure the leads in place so your hands are free and the meter continues to operate.
You have a parasitic draw if the reading is more than 50 milliamps. There are a few things that constantly draw power in a vehicle, such as the clock on the radio, so it’s normal to have a reading between 20 and 50 milliamps. If your reading is higher than that, it means there’s a draw and something is using too much power.

Small dash panel, behind glass is unlikely to generate enough charge to need to worry about a regulator....
Especially in the darker months
Many are useless at this as AC with no diode, you require min one amp for losses due to brains/alarms etc.

I bought one of those little 20W panels you stick on the dash. Found it useless.

I've done it again. Went to turn over engine at storage; not a flicker dead as the proverbial Dodo. Happened earlier in the year and battery was replaced. So if won't charge if mechanic can get to me any suggestions please for other causes. All electrics were left off and radio taken out. Thankd
How old is your motorhome? I had similar and it turned out it needed new earth straps, once I replaced them like a new van.

A small solar panel sat in the windscreen can keep the battery topped up.

If you need me to I could take the battery off and charge it for you and refit it on boxing day or the morning of the 27th.
Hi. I used a small solar panel as advised by garage but useless and it had to replace battery. The extreme cold can be responsible for battery failing. I've a cheap charger that I plug in if I can't take the van for a drive but best option is to take it for a run every so often. I do this about every 3/4 weeks now. About 60+ round trip. Problem with taking off the battery is it can mess up the immobiliser I think. Any comments on this.

Hi. I used a small solar panel as advised by garage but useless and it had to replace battery. The extreme cold can be responsible for battery failing. I've a cheap charger that I plug in if I can't take the van for a drive but best option is to take it for a run every so often. I do this about every 3/4 weeks now. About 60+ round trip. Problem with taking off the battery is it can mess up the immobiliser I think. Any comments on this.
Better to use a smart charger rather than the old battery boilers.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back