Diesel additives

nabsim

Another thread here and some chatting at the Henley meet last night got me thinking (yes worrying I know). Now don’t shout me down as I am only asking a question and don’t know the answer but...

Has anyone tried and/or what are the pro’s and con’s of adding different things to diesel in their van based vehicles?

In particular I was thinking about petrol, methanol and kerosine but anything else that may be beneficial in some way, I only list these three as they are available bulk fuels so cost should be less than bottled additives. Not sure if local bike shop still has methanol though, they used to run their speedway bikes on it and my mate ran his grass track outfit

A pint of petrol every few fills

After Phil spent ages with his diagnostic kit, he advised me to use Forté Diesel Fuel System... A 3 part cleaner.
I'll report back later..
THANKS PHIL...!

After Phil spent ages with his diagnostic kit, he advised me to use Forté Diesel Fuel System... A 3 part cleaner.
I'll report back later..
THANKS PHIL...!
Forte is the only additive I use and used ,when I ran a Peugeot workshop inedinburgh we had great results with forte and pug we’re happy for us to use it

Thanks Gordon. That'll do for me.
Sorry I can't give you proper. " like ", the button doesn't work.

Another thread here and some chatting at the Henley meet last night got me thinking (yes worrying I know). Now don’t shout me down as I am only asking a question and don’t know the answer but...

Has anyone tried and/or what are the pro’s and con’s of adding different things to diesel in their van based vehicles?

In particular I was thinking about petrol, methanol and kerosine but anything else that may be beneficial in some way, I only list these three as they are available bulk fuels so cost should be less than bottled additives. Not sure if local bike shop still has methanol though, they used to run their speedway bikes on it and my mate ran his grass track outfit

To what end are you asking? more power, more economy, cleaner engine or something else, as each snake oil treatment will add something different

Used to use it every fill in the narrowboat, but that was more to prevent diesel bug than improve performance - anyone ever had a diesel bug problem with a vehicle?

No, but I have seen it mentioned on other forums Chris.

Used to use it every fill in the narrowboat, but that was more to prevent diesel bug than improve performance - anyone ever had a diesel bug problem with a vehicle?

I did know somebody who it happened to on a boat Chris and a lorry yard had it in one of their tanks after closing down for a while.

Never known it in a vehicle though.

I did know somebody who it happened to on a boat Chris and a lorry yard had it in one of their tanks after closing down for a while.

Never known it in a vehicle though.

It does make a hell of a mess, bungs up filters etc. I expect with the smaller tanks on vehicles and faster usage it hasn't time to 'grow'.

I'll report back later..
THANKS PHIL...!
In a nut shell what’s the advice!

We do under 15 miles a week over the winter,and find that we're getting a stalling like shudder at low revs in all gears.. Its a cockamamie, semi- auto box.
Hopefully this Forté gunk will clear the fuel supply system,and possibly the DPF and EGR ?

I have been advised not to put an additive in a diesel system with DPF fitted as it will damage the filter. To clean the DPF you need to have the engine warm and do a reasonable run over 55mph to start the regeneration, ideally on a motorway to maintain the revs etc. I don't use any additive and get an overall average of 33 mpg after I sorted my (F+R) brake drag.....
:love:

Yes it does improve, once we have a decent motorway run, but Phil suggested that it could also be adirty injector problem?
For £ 30 , it's worth having something to hand to try, innit?

To what end are you asking? more power, more economy, cleaner engine or something else, as each snake oil treatment will add something different
Well in my case I was thinking of just keeping everything running cleanly between services which 'should' aid fuel economy. I don't think I have a dpf in mine (base vehicle is pre 2006 Sprinter) but keeping EGR clean is good.

It gets regular runs, over 500 miles last week but thats more than normal, and gets motorway running most weeks but if I have to shut engine off then restart before it cools down it can take two or three attempts.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back