Diesel additives

I did once have a diesel bug problem on an old Ford tractor that was used infrequently and the tank level often low allowing condensation. It completely stopped the engine. The fuel filter and tank were filled with whats best described as stringy snot. On infrequently run diesel engines I have since used an enzyme treatment - made by Startron - and try to keep the tank full to avoid condensation allowing water to mix with the diesel.
Startron also do a petrol additive to prolong the life of modern petrol which seems to go off if left too long.

Use decent fuel in the first place and additives by third parties and mixing fuels are unnecessary. We have a vehicle with a diesel engine designed in the 1960's and a car with a state of the art modern diesel. Running them on supermarket fuel makes for a dirty burn and less MPG. We run on standard Shell diesel and every four to six tanks we use the Shell V-Power.

Adding petrol or the like to modern diesels seems to be a very bad idea. I could probably get away with doing it to the old van, but I wouldn't. Most people spend thousands and some very many thousands on their vehicles. Why try and scrimp on a few pence per litre for fuel?

Don't waste your money .
Just drive it like it's been robbed ever now and th5m.

Another thread here and some chatting at the Henley meet last night got me thinking (yes worrying I know). Now don’t shout me down as I am only asking a question and don’t know the answer but...

Has anyone tried and/or what are the pro’s and con’s of adding different things to diesel in their van based vehicles?

In particular I was thinking about petrol, methanol and kerosine but anything else that may be beneficial in some way, I only list these three as they are available bulk fuels so cost should be less than bottled additives. Not sure if local bike shop still has methanol though, they used to run their speedway bikes on it and my mate ran his grass track outfit

Hi folks, as I understand it, (and this is just from reading, and talking to mechanics) it depends where you usually fill up. The big manufacturers put additives in the fuel to improve running of the engine. And if you fill from the big brands your engine and lines get a good bit of protection.

The supermarkets cut their prices by not adding these, and if you habitually buy from them, then you should buy the additives and add them yourself to enjoy the same benefits.

Or are these additives for other things?

Paddy

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back