Do you have a spare wheel going abroad?

No spare wheel supplied by Burstner and with a broom cupboard instead of a garage, the only way to fit a spare would be to place it on top of the bog seat and rig up an escalator from the 12v power supply ... 👍

Steve

No spare wheel supplied by Burstner and with a broom cupboard instead of a garage, the only way to fit a spare would be to place it on top of the bog seat and rig up an escalator from the 12v power supply ... 👍

Steve
Steve can you not undersling a cradle type like Fiat,pug,and cytroen vans do ( winch type system

Steve can you not undersling a cradle type like Fiat,pug,and cytroen vans do ( winch type system
Gordon, I think there may be bits of van chassis in the way. I think there may be a 'don't blame me if it doesn't work' version of a wheel holder, but it's not cheap and I don't want to spend money and get a PITA 'system'!

Steve

Gordon, I think there may be bits of van chassis in the way. I think there may be a 'don't blame me if it doesn't work' version of a wheel holder, but it's not cheap and I don't want to spend money and get a PITA 'system'!

Steve
Here's one

IMG_3663.png

Yes, I have one but not checked it since I got it, getting a service done in a few weeks so I'll get my man to look at it then.

This came up on WC recently and I mentioned about my breakdown insurance. It’s renewal time so I took the opportunity to read through all the clauses. Mine states I must carry a spare OR one of the compressor/gunk repair kits. No telling if this clause is limited or widespread so please check your own before venturing out without anything.
I do carry a spare in one of the lockers but would never be able to change it myself 👍

There are very often various tanks - fresh or waste - in the way where the spare would be :( I am pretty sure on my Autotrail the Spare Wheel postion is fully occupied by the Fresh Water tank?

There could well be alternative options though? For example, the spare wheel on the Mk 1 Sprinter/VW LT pre-Crafter vans had the Spare Wheel underslung at the back. On my LT, that space was taken up by an wheelchair lift so there was a cradle fitted on the side under the van instead. Not sure if that is viable to add on a motorhome though as probably all manner of things in the way.

My new Hymer doesn’t come with a spare. It was a condition of sale for them to supply me with one as I will not travel without one. My Burstner also didn’t come with one and so I adapted a Sprinter cradle to bolt up underneath. As below, can you do the same?IMG_3392.jpegIMG_3393.jpeg

I suppose the problem of adding a spare to a van that didn’t initially come with one could be weight. I know a lot of todays vans are borderline legal in use if plated =<3.5t

I know my spare wheel and tyre weighs 30kg, that’s a Mercedes steel 5 stud 225/70R15, not sure how much a carrier would add if you also had to do that.

I remember someone (or more than one) posting in the past they don’t carry a complete spare but do carry a spare tyre. That would be a lighter option but if you have same clauses as I do check it’s ok with breakdown insurance if you rely on it. Carrying the gunk and a spare tyre would get round that though. If tyre choice is limited for you like it is for me it’s not only the inconvenience of getting a repair/replacement done it’s also how long it takes to get a tyre suitable 👍

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back