Dogs barking

Mobilvetta

Well I have made my first mistake, parked the motorhome up in Evora Portugal on a official Aire, then walked to a nice Portuguese restaraunt for something to eat and a few bottles of vino, got back to the van and we seem to have a chorus of dogs barking. They seem to be on a balcony off some apartments opposite us. Can't possibly drive the van to a quieter spot we noticed on the way back from the restaurant, looks like we are going to have to put earplugs in tonight. Why do people allow there dogs to bark, it has been going on for two hours now. Glad I don't live in one of them apartments as I would be having big fallouts with the neighbours.

It seems to be a Portuguese thing letting dogs bark all through the night,we have noticed this a lot in various parts of portugal

Unfortunately living in Portugal full time dogs barking is part of life, our neighbor has four and if you complain she just says that is what dogs do . When we took a stray in within three days I had stopped her barking and had her behaving ,when my neighbor sees her now she just says you are so lucky you got a good dog.

We had that a couple of years back when we went down to visit the brother-in-law and his partner who live just outside Dénia :mad:

They were at the property next door and the owner was a Spanish Buchonistas but didn`t actually live there so the dogs were guard dogs.

All bloody day and through the night they were at it and the slightest noise seem to set them off o_O

It was also ridiculously hot so we had all the windows and heki`s wide open with only the mosquito nets drawn which seemed to make it worse.

Unfortunately living in Portugal full time dogs barking is part of life, our neighbor has four and if you complain she just says that is what dogs do . When we took a stray in within three days I had stopped her barking and had her behaving ,when my neighbor sees her now she just says you are so lucky you got a good dog.
My Father went on a golfing break to Portugal 40 yrs ago and it was a problem then..not the owners, but the strays....
https://www.portugalresident.com/2010/01/21/stray-dogs/

Used to be a big prob in ulster until new regs came out and dog wardens,if dog barks is is of a lead or causing a nuisance there lifted and if no fine is paid or there not chipped then there for the furness.

....sounds good to me Trev....we love dogs other than those not controlled by their owners...no no !!. Too many motorhomers let their "rodents" bark incessantly....it's a no no near us. Beware LOL ? Maja

....sounds good to me Trev....we love dogs other than those not controlled by their owners...no no !!. Too many motorhomers let their "rodents" bark incessantly....it's a no no near us. Beware LOL ? Maja
I love pets but to many folk get them and cannot or know not how to control them,may be ok for owners to have there dog jumping up on there clean cloths and licking there face or trying to shag there leg but i dont want it and should not be subjected to it,either train them or dont buy them.

Actually, nearly every Motorhome near us has dogs...but all quiet....recently some noisy ones arrived but went the next day when confronted !! Noisy dogs not acceptable LOL !! ...

The thing is the big nasty world out there is not going to be like your nice cosy little corner of the UK.
Dogs in Europe are kept more to do a job (security) than as pets. Consequently dogs that are alert, switched on and bark a lot are favoured.
Get used to it or discover what your wheels are for.
I used to live next to an army live firing range which staged WW3 every fortnight, didn’t bother us one bit.

Well we stayed the night on the Aire in Alcoutim, not only did we have some dogs barking but we also had two cockerels join the bloody choir from 5.00am this morning, going back into Spain today, think I'm going to have to start taking siestas to catch up on my sleep. ??

we had our son's dog for a couple of years in Portugal. proper nasty site dog , never lost a fight . i'd put him in the car when i went to the bar, then let him out to race me home . of all the dogs he encountered on the way home , and there were plenty, small ones got bowled over , big ones got a nasty bite . they all had loads to discuss after one of our visits , out of our earshot i'm pleased to say !

Ones not under control get lifted here now and owner fined,if no payment then distroyed.
In the last 10 years more and more have cats due to not wanting the hastle witch goes with dogs.

Getting nervous. I really need my beauty sleep. It would only take one look for you to agree. No comments from the usual suspects are necessary.?

It seems to be a Portuguese thing letting dogs bark all through the night,we have noticed this a lot in various parts of portugal

Just to play Devils Advocate...

Errrm, dogs bark, one of the ways they communicate. Our wee Maltese will bark to defend her [our] territory, property and in turn us, she doesn't realise she's only tiny and I'm sure would fight to the death for us. I've never known a dog to complain about ear-shattering off-road motorcycles, loud televisions or radios, people shouting, doors slamming, traffic roar or any other human generated racket or nuiscance. They all are 98% wolf in their genes tempered via thousands of years living with humans, they're our best and most faithful friends and faithful servants to the blind, police forces, drug enforcement agencies, the army and more all for the meagre reward of food and lodging and the occasional play with a ball.

I sometimes overnight at a pal's place that's in earshot of a zoo, at night there are free-ranging owls overhead, they're blooming loud and further afield the roars of lions, monkeys and many other animals permeate the air. I feel that humans are far more of a plague on our beautiful yet
sadly dying Earth than a dog's bark will ever be even if it is inconvenient now and then...
P1010008.JPG

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back