Dump valve stuck open

We run with full tanks most of the time it's about 80kilos, may as well leave Liz behind to save weight, it's NOT worth the bother to drain down, I do on the run home so it's empty while stood.

Last edited:
We run with full tanks most of the time it's about 80kilos, may as well leave Liz behind to save weight, it's worth the bother to drain down, I do on the run home so it's empty while stood.
It’s only worth draining down if you aren’t going to be using it though Kev. That’s where it usually falls down for me lol

That's what I thought I said, but I missed the "Not" out, I shall edit it.

Not sure how water from the boiler would find its way into the grey water tank; dump valve normally dumps it straight out. ....
Yes, you are quite right there . . . . I forgot that. When driving and the little remaining water drains out it isn't much. Of course, once you have opened the grey water tap and most of it drains, what remains isn't going to cause any trouble if it freezes. It always amuses me when I read that my grey water tank has a heater. One thing I have never in my life wanted to do is to heat dishwater. :)

On the other hand, if you're using extra fuel to move the water then you're creating more emissions. I wonder whether there is a way of determining which option is more environmentally friendly. :)
Oh please emissions how can you play that card when your duping gallons of water every trip how do you go on during a drought last year and then year before I believe the south east of England had taps running dry and had stand pipes in some areas how would they feel knowing some motorhome owners were dumping water just to save a few pennies on fuel water is a valuable commodity.

Oh please emissions how can you play that card when your duping gallons of water every trip how do you go on during a drought last year and then year before I believe the south east of England had taps running dry and had stand pipes in some areas how would they feel knowing some motorhome owners were dumping water just to save a few pennies on fuel water is a valuable commodity.
Oh please, who was talking of dumping water every trip? @gasgas referred to doing so on "last day of holiday". I never ever dump gallons of water as I always fill with litres. ;) The only time that I dump water is late autumn as I won't be using the motorhome during winter and don't want the risk of water freezing in boiler, taps, pump, etc.

If it wasn't for all the water in bottles there might not be a problem anyway, massive warehouses all of the world.

Ecological Effects. In 2021, worldwide sales of bottled water totaled 350 billion liters (92.5 billion gallons). There's a lot of plastic left over once 400 billion liters (105.6 billion gallons) of water is consumed. In a single year, manufacturers around the world create around 600 billion plastic bottles.17 Oct 2023

Oh please, who was talking of dumping water every trip? @gasgas referred to doing so on "last day of holiday". I never ever dump gallons of water as I always fill with litres. ;) The only time that I dump water is late autumn as I won't be using the motorhome during winter and don't want the risk of water freezing in boiler, taps, pump, etc.
I think I just quoted the wrong post but as for dumping water I don’t even dump my water in winter as my van is used all year round.

That's a bit Dodgy Annie, unless it is stored out of the wind, as that lowers the temperature by quite a bit, some tanks are insulated but the heaters and the pipes are normally not. I did measure the inside of our van this year and it got down to -5°c twice.

That's a bit Dodgy Annie, unless it is stored out of the wind, as that lowers the temperature by quite a bit, some tanks are insulated but the heaters and the pipes are normally not. I did measure the inside of our van this year and it got down to -5°c twice.
My fresh tank is inside under the bed next to my eberspacher 👍

In over 40 odd years of owning vans I only once had water freeze and that was in Snoopy a converted boxer van my drinking water and the dogs water bowl froze inside the van I believe that was at a meet. Ido blow water out of the pipes and leave all taps open and empty the hot water heater but I leave water in the main tank I drain the grey waste on my drive that has a Chanel and a soak away.

Aha, you left the vital details out, bad girl :D :D

Yeah, I'd not worry about the tank, it the expansion of the water when it freezes that causes the damage then the thaw completes it, not sure how well the 12mm plastic pipes cope with it, hopefully designed to expand rather than burst like copper ones would.

What do you use to blow them out though? I like the sound of that.

Aha, you left the vital details out, bad girl :D :D

Yeah, I'd not worry about the tank, it the expansion of the water when it freezes that causes the damage then the thaw completes it, not sure how well the 12mm plastic pipes cope with it, hopefully designed to expand rather than burst like copper ones would.

What do you use to blow them out though? I like the sound of that.
An old piece of hoover pipe I place it on the open taps and blow with my mouth in the true sense of a blow job. 😂🤣

So did mine. I have a max / min thermometer in the hab area and it read -5 C.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back