Electric cars

Electric Vehicles Bit difficult to charge we have 60 houses in our terraced street we would be fighting for charge points and tripping over cable, so i guess we would all use wireless charging might be a bit slow or an expensive technology to adopt? Don't think the governments are thinking this through for the majority of people, it really needs to be a viable option for all.
It’s a bit of a joke init. ?

Interesting, just wondering why the government hasn't used the tax I've paid over the years on my bevvy to build a few Guinness breweries :unsure:
That’s one for the Irish Government surely!

If all the vehicles on the roads were electric how many more gas powered generating stations will need to be built when we all plug in after work ? We will pollute the atmosphere, just in a different way.
The spike from putting the kettle on during TV adverts will pale into insignificance.
They will be recharged by wave solar and turbine power,my mate has a golf and it charges from his free grant solar home roof panels 90% of the time a 10% mains in winter,you dont have a say as in 20 years no more engines made here,france 10 years,better get used to it.

As I've stated many times on various forums, it's the increase in the human population that will kill the planet.
normal body temperature is 37 deg c, so 7.7 billion human heaters.
Most have a shower every day, so 7.7 billion 15min showers at an average 43 deg c.
Then add the 7.7 billion plus uses of average 60 deg c hot water to clean clothes.
Plus the 2.6 billion car journeys made each day with engines at 80 deg c, brakes at 40 deg c & that's just cars!
plus heaters, oxy /acetylene/propane gas/mapp gas cutting gear.
hot meals, drinks.
Electrical items like radios, TV's, freezers, computers, etc.,
All of this heat has to go somewhere, oh hello sea, sky & earth.

As a footnote. A few years ago I did a few weeks of research into the governments pollution statistics & the connection with dying prematurely, after much searching, the average person living in London, lives to 74 years old but, only 273 die as a direct result of all pollution in the greater London area.
the average reduction in a Londoners life expectancy is 3 months!

I've also noticed that when academic institutions did in depth studies on diesel particulate filters, the early ones were quickly removed by persons unknown!

Phill

While I can appreciate those who have ev’s, please remember, not everyone is in the position to afford such vehicles. Cheap they ain’t. I’ve yet to see one registered as a motor home.
All this, is what many may see, as a holier than thou, business of ownership of a ev. Some of us were gullible enough to listen to the government when they told us that diesel was the way to go. Forget petrol vehicles with their invisible toxins, go for safe diesels were you can see the toxins.
I, like many on here have invested their life savings on a motor home, that with fuel duty, and road tax, will soon be unaffordable to use.
If I sound bitter, it could be cos I am. Certainly not for the first time, I feel I’ve been stitched up again.
Don’t worry Del, we won’t be around when they stop diesels and if we are I doubt we will still be driving them. Always look on the bright side matey :)

We are all doomed.
Don’t tell him your name Pike

Problem with mass use of EV is the power transfer equation.
If you think of energy contained in one tank refill of an average car and the fact it takes a matter of minutes to transfer that from a storage tank to the vehicle tank.
Then think of how many such refills are stored in an average garage.
Then think of how many garages there are in the UK alone.
Then think of the total stored energy this equates to.
In order to match that stored energy and make sufficient available to charge all the evs that would replace the ice vehicles would require an enormous investment in electric generation and distribution systems.
These simply do not exist.
The EV thing at present is a con. Fine for those fortunate souls who live with a house with a drive where you can recharge and who can afford to buy a new EV (which are massively more expensive than an equivalent ICE vehicle) and possibly add solar panels and Tesla etc power walls but simply unaffordable by average Joe. (And note the government has reduced or removed the subsidies on solar panels)
If you cannot afford the tens of thousands this costs then what do you do? The public transport infrastructure to replace private transport doesn't exist either, in the majority of the UK.
Hydrogen is a possible replacement but even that is an inefficient conversion and again doesn't exist in any great quantity though it might answer the problem of getting the power from where it is generated to the end user without massive power lines etc.
Whole thing smacks of a push to make private transport possible only for an elite few.

Problem with mass use of EV is the power transfer equation.
If you think of energy contained in one tank refill of an average car and the fact it takes a matter of minutes to transfer that from a storage tank to the vehicle tank.
Then think of how many such refills are stored in an average garage.
Then think of how many garages there are in the UK alone.
Then think of the total stored energy this equates to.
In order to match that stored energy and make sufficient available to charge all the evs that would replace the ice vehicles would require an enormous investment in electric generation and distribution systems.
These simply do not exist.
The EV thing at present is a con. Fine for those fortunate souls who live with a house with a drive where you can recharge and who can afford to buy a new EV (which are massively more expensive than an equivalent ICE vehicle) and possibly add solar panels and Tesla etc power walls but simply unaffordable by average Joe. (And note the government has reduced or removed the subsidies on solar panels)
If you cannot afford the tens of thousands this costs then what do you do? The public transport infrastructure to replace private transport doesn't exist either, in the majority of the UK.
Hydrogen is a possible replacement but even that is an inefficient conversion and again doesn't exist in any great quantity though it might answer the problem of getting the power from where it is generated to the end user without massive power lines etc.
Whole thing smacks of a push to make private transport possible only for an elite few.

Well said. Think you’ve got that about right.

Almost every car park here has two or more charging points,any new stations must fitt same amount as fuel pumps,anyway we all know electric grows on trees,well it may be free at this point of time for charging but give a few years and we all know gov will get us to pay .

Every car park in Northampton has a charging point as well. Think it’s called, pay and display. No idea how much it is, cos I’ll either walk in or get the bus. Atm ,I still have a bus pass, for how much longer, I’ve no idea. Northamptonshire CC is skint.
The car parks have got to be expensive, because they are rarely used. Leading to the demise of BHS , M&S and the like. But if you want Charity shops, Pawn Brokers, see people sleeping rough, or bearded young men sitting on the pavement with paper cups in front of them , offering to relieve you of the weight of small change.This would be the place for you. There’s also a cafe or fifty, where you could buy a cup of brown stuff for as little as £4.
Off topic, yes! But the again, it’s been off topic from #3 ?

I’m liking this thread Tezza, I’m getting so many annoyances off my chest. It’s liberating ?

Think you have been mixing with the wrong people Del lol

Here's a little light bedtime reading for those who think global warming means we (or more realistically our children and grandchildren) can just continue burning fossil fuels till the cows come home, (burping their methane to help warm the planet) 'cos there's nothing we can do about it since that lovely tank of petrol or diesel or aviation fuel contains so much energy and it's just so cheap so no need to invest in developing alternatives - his message is - it's much worse than we think: The Uninhabitable Earth by David Wallace-Wells.

What Man does will have some very short term effect, but in the long run we’re doomed. The Sun is getting hotter meaning that all the water on Earth will be vapourised. Article
At least that means we won’t be around for the gallactic collision. Wikipedia

As I've stated many times on various forums, it's the increase in the human population that will kill the planet.
normal body temperature is 37 deg c, so 7.7 billion human heaters.
Most have a shower every day, so 7.7 billion 15min showers at an average 43 deg c.
Then add the 7.7 billion plus uses of average 60 deg c hot water to clean clothes.
Plus the 2.6 billion car journeys made each day with engines at 80 deg c, brakes at 40 deg c & that's just cars!
plus heaters, oxy /acetylene/propane gas/mapp gas cutting gear.
hot meals, drinks.
Electrical items like radios, TV's, freezers, computers, etc.,
All of this heat has to go somewhere, oh hello sea, sky & earth.

As a footnote. A few years ago I did a few weeks of research into the governments pollution statistics & the connection with dying prematurely, after much searching, the average person living in London, lives to 74 years old but, only 273 die as a direct result of all pollution in the greater London area.
the average reduction in a Londoners life expectancy is 3 months!

I've also noticed that when academic institutions did in depth studies on diesel particulate filters, the early ones were quickly removed by persons unknown!

Phill
After years of extensive travel all over the world, I can assure you, nowhere near the figure of 7.7 billion people take a shower everyday!

electric cars will never be the answere. not only the purely practical problems of generating the leccy and recharging the vehicles, whilst fossil fuels are taxed at current levels no government will seriously try to replace them with an alternative that its politically unable to tax at similar levels..

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back