Electric going off

We have a combination of Sargent ec500 and EC480 control panel and we had a similar problem. I contacted Sargent support and initially diagnosed the problem as the Solar panels given out to high a voltage, the solar controller was changed on their instruction but didn't fix the problem. I was then instructed to read the voltage of the Leisure battery, ensuring the battery charger off and solar panels disconnected and comparing this with the voltage displayed on EC480 control panel, the control panel reading should NOT be higher than the leisure battery reading. In my case the control panel was reading higher by about 0.2V higher causing the unit to intermittently trip. This indicated a fault in the Sargant ec500 power supply unit and was replaced, all OK now. I appreciate you have a different Sargent set up and your control panel doesn't display battery voltages, but certainly worth an email to Sargent support the diagnose fault, very helpful and prompt.

We have a combination of Sargent ec500 and EC480 control panel and we had a similar problem. I contacted Sargent support and initially diagnosed the problem as the Solar panels given out to high a voltage, the solar controller was changed on their instruction but didn't fix the problem. I was then instructed to read the voltage of the Leisure battery, ensuring the battery charger off and solar panels disconnected and comparing this with the voltage displayed on EC480 control panel, the control panel reading should NOT be higher than the leisure battery reading. In my case the control panel was reading higher by about 0.2V higher causing the unit to intermittently trip. This indicated a fault in the Sargant ec500 power supply unit and was replaced, all OK now. I appreciate you have a different Sargent set up and your control panel doesn't display battery voltages, but certainly worth an email to Sargent support the diagnose fault, very helpful and prompt.
John did contact Sargent but the lad didn’t know. I’ll show John your reply thanks.

Maybe a little dig at Sargent on FB will prompt a more helpful response.
Not a direct criticism but more of a request reminding them of their status and reputation !

It sound like you have the reverse of the problem I have on my van.
My 12v trips, saying the battery is flat, in the evening of the second night away in winter. It isn't flat but it means it won't let me use the heating.
The battery has been tested and confirmed as OK. I've had two electricians check it all out and can't find anything wrong.
So I can't go away in winter for more than one night in cold weather unless I have EHU.

Yes we still haven’t solved it we are going to the rally at Stratford next week so maybe someone can help. Have you a gas heater? We use that when electric is off.
EHU doesn’t help us as it charges the battery up then it trips.

It sound like you have the reverse of the problem I have on my van.
My 12v trips, saying the battery is flat, in the evening of the second night away in winter. It isn't flat but it means it won't let me use the heating.
The battery has been tested and confirmed as OK. I've had two electricians check it all out and can't find anything wrong.
So I can't go away in winter for more than one night in cold weather unless I have EHU.
How did they test the battery was okay? I have three battery’s that I took out my van, one has been in service over 12 months as a starter battery and still going strong but they have lost their capacity so no use as habitation battery’s to me. They take charge and test as good.

Only way to be sure is to do a discharge test and see how much is given up.

As far as heating goes, heaters such as the Eberspacher and especially the Chinese Heaters can cause a voltage drop at the heater point that is not representative of the actual voltage of the battery so fails to start even though the battery is fine. Some people end up starting the engine to boost the voltage just to let them start the heater. I fitted a little voltage booster (costs around £10-£15) for my heater so it always saw a good voltage regardless of what the batteries were at.

Yes we still haven’t solved it we are going to the rally at Stratford next week so maybe someone can help. Have you a gas heater? We use that when electric is off.
EHU doesn’t help us as it charges the battery up then it trips.
Yes it is gas, but needs 12v to run the fan.
How did they test the battery was okay? I have three battery’s that I took out my van, one has been in service over 12 months as a starter battery and still going strong but they have lost their capacity so no use as habitation battery’s to me. They take charge and test as good.
It was less than a year old when it was first tested. The firm that fitted it tested it and said it seems ok, then they took it back to the place that sold it, who tested it and said it is fine. The two electricians (one an automotive electrician) tested it and said it is fine. I have no idea what tests they all tried on it.

Yes it is gas, but needs 12v to run the fan.

It was less than a year old when it was first tested. The firm that fitted it tested it and said it seems ok, then they took it back to the place that sold it, who tested it and said it is fine. The two electricians (one an automotive electrician) tested it and said it is fine. I have no idea what tests they all tried on it.
It depends on what type of battery you have as how to test it. It then depends if the battery tester you have is suitable for the battery, it may not be; Even if the makers says it is. You may buy a Watt Meter to check a low power discharge over 20hrs, be warned that may reset at 65Ah or equivalent Watts, so when you check it 20hrs later it might say 35 Watts, and you will be convinced the 100Ah battery is low power, when it is fact fine. This confused me for a while, and the main supplier doesn't appear to test the battery that I have, it has to go back to the Manufacture. But I have sorted mine out. Obviously not using the van for a long time can also cause damage to the battery, I have solar with a twin output so they are OK. Just testing it caused concern as both test appeared to show low output on a virtually unused Gel Leisure, but both tests were not showing the truth. I knew I should have put my heavy duty capacity tester on it, but don't burn the terminals, it will void the warranty. An Ex Auto Electrician. 😒

@chas142 - gosh, that all went whoosh over my head I don't have a tester, I rely on the electricians. Anyway, I went away in May and June for a couple of weekends, all was fine but then I was hooked up to EHU. Yesterday I noticed battery appears to be flat and had tripped the 12v button again. So maybe it has been a duff battery all along. I have rung my electrician and left a message today. I hope he can sort it 'cos I'm away next weekend without EHU. Although I can manage without electric for a weekend if I have to.

I think you should check whether you have inadvertently set s timer on your control panel to turn the 12v off.
I can't see that usage or solar charge can be consistent enough to cause a cut off at exactly the same time each day.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back