Electric Scooters

We Luv Freedom

Hi All,
We are looking at buying electric scooters for Motorhome life - ( Yes we know u cant ride them on UK public roads ) ,,, However we spend 3mths per year in Spain were they are legal & attend Superbike racing in the M/H four nights at a time x 7 events per year that can ride whilst there ,,,, Tempted by the - isinwheel S9 Max ( 500w ) that is on offer at mo,,, if anybody has any advice please let us know,,,,
Safe times people 👍

Hi All,
We are looking at buying electric scooters for Motorhome life - ( Yes we know u cant ride them on UK public roads ) ,,, However we spend 3mths per year in Spain were they are legal & attend Superbike racing in the M/H four nights at a time x 7 events per year that can ride whilst there ,,,, Tempted by the - isinwheel S9 Max ( 500w ) that is on offer at mo,,, if anybody has any advice please let us know,,,,
Safe times people 👍
I saw one in Bristol the other week that had indicators down behind the rear wheel🤣🤣

Mine is a Riley made in the U.K., it’s a low power one, 250w motor but has been fine for me. Got mine on offer from Go-Outdoors, worked out just under £300

Last edited:
Just ordered the S9 Max from isinwheels & got a good discount plus extras / Stem storage back & combination security lock included ,,,, 👍

Has anyone gone into the insurance that is required for scooters in Europe? I believe its only around 40 euro for a year but not heard where you obtain it

Has anyone gone into the insurance that is required for scooters in Europe? I believe its only around 40 euro for a year but not heard where you obtain it
hi. well we winter in Spain & never heard of anyone bothering about insurance for scooters & you see the locals sometimes doubling up on one they seem to do what they want like riding my bike they was only us brit's who was wearing helmets .cheyenne

hi. well we winter in Spain & never heard of anyone bothering about insurance for scooters & you see the locals sometimes doubling up on one they seem to do what they want like riding my bike they was only us brit's who was wearing helmets .cheyenne
In the UK you see people riding them around all the time where they are totally illegal so what you see doesn't really count for much. Insurance is required in the EU and its cheap, was just asking if anyone had gone into getting it. Not that I am likely yo be taking mine across the water any time soon but nice to know just in case :)

I did get a helmet when I got the scooter but don't wear it. Mine is only good for either 12mph or 15kph I don't recall which so I stand the risk of a tumble. Then again I never wore a helmet on any of my trikes unless I was going on the motorways, wooly hat or leather flying helmet and googles. Not saying you shouldn't wear a helmet if it makes you feel safer though

As far as i am aware as i am in Benidorm in the M/H from Jan to April every year & locals say u just need to wear a helmet & have a Certificate of Compliance to show the scooter is in compliance with Spanish regs,,,, ie 15mph ,,,,

As far as i am aware as i am in Benidorm in the M/H from Jan to April every year & locals say u just need to wear a helmet & have a Certificate of Compliance to show the scooter is in compliance with Spanish regs,,,, ie 15mph ,,,,
Just did a quick google as I couldn't remember where I had heard about getting the insurance and it looks like it Denmark, France and UK where you need the insurance not all of the EU sorry

This may be handy if you are getting one, didn't copy too great but I will include the link to where I got it

Scooter Requirements by Country

CountryDefined in a specific categoryUse in public spacesAllowed on pavementsAllowed on bicycle pathsSpeed limitAge restrictionsObligatory legal liability insuranceHelmet obligation
Austria++-+++-+
Belgium+++++---
Bulgaria*-+++----
Czechia-+-++?-+
Denmark-+-+++--
Estonia*-+++----
Finland-++++---
France++-+++++
Germany++-++++-
Greece----+---
Hungary?+-?----
Italy-+-+++--
Netherlands----+---
Norway-+--+---
Poland-+-++---
Portugal-+-+?+--
Slovakia*++++++--
Spain++-?+---
Sweden-++++--+
Switzerland-+-+++--
UK*

Apparently the Europeans have two levels of electric scooter ??? There are the stand on electric small wheel scooters that u see doing 15mph max & theres also the type that u sit on & can travel 2 up like the old Vespa ,,, Lambreta that req registration / number plates / insurance

Apparently the Europeans have two levels of electric scooter ??? There are the stand on electric small wheel scooters that u see doing 15mph max & theres also the type that u sit on & can travel 2 up like the old Vespa ,,, Lambreta that req registration / number plates / insurance
Yeah I think most places will be the same, in that last link though it states the 15mph scooters need everything. I haven't been to Spain for a good few years now and certainly before escooters so its only what I see on the net I am working off. I do tend to look out for stuff on the scooters though as I have one.

It may have been one of the ev youtube videos I saw it on about insurance or just Joe Bloggs youtube video. I know some places abroad have now banned hired escooters but I think its a city by city thing rather than country by country. Maybe tourist board for whatever countries you intend using may offer good advice?

Don't take it wrong, I use mine illegally in UK but am very careful where I ride it, not in towns, city etc just out of the way spots. I would ride it in towns but the potential 6 points in UK for driving without insurance is enough to stop me. Not like riding an overpowered ebike as all escooters are illegal in public here so easy spot if they want to do you, with bike they would have to suspect you are overpowered then stop you to confirm. Not sure on the legality of them doing that if you aren't doing something wrong.

hi. winter in beni takes us back to 2004 our first time behind the palace i think it was toreta stayed on most over the years.
but as we got older we wanted a quite life so where we over winter there are cycle tracks leading to most places mainly for shopping .cheyenne

Hi Cheyenne,
We stopped at La Torreta in transit for a couple of nights a few yrs ago ,,, We now stay at Camping Villasol opposite La Torreta as gr8 location & facilities ,,,, We have already booked Villasol from Jan to April 😎

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back