Electric Vehicles (EV's)

I suggest your dealer is talking out of his backside!! As far as I am aware any vehicle capable of rapid DC charging can charge at super chargers (those open to all vehicles). My car is capable of charging at 150kw (standard Tesla V2 superchargers) but I regularly use the newer Tesla V3 250kw chargers. It simply throttles back to a 150kw charge rate. To be certain it would be advisable to check capabilities of whatever EV you have or wish to purchase but I am pretty sure any rapid chargers will throttle back if necessary to suit the cars capability.

I suggest your dealer is talking out of his backside!! As far as I am aware any vehicle capable of rapid DC charging can charge at super chargers (those open to all vehicles). My car is capable of charging at 150kw (standard Tesla V2 superchargers) but I regularly use the newer Tesla V3 250kw chargers. It simply throttles back to a 150kw charge rate. To be certain it would be advisable to check capabilities of whatever EV you have or wish to purchase but I am pretty sure any rapid chargers will throttle back if necessary to suit the cars capability.
Thanks will look into that!

The other thing to check is your charge cable socket. At long last the EV world (at least in UK) seems to be settling on the CCS (Combined Charging System) socket for rapid chargers). A lot of older cars (mine included at only 3 years old!) only had a type 2 capability. Luckily Tesla in their wisdom, and as their newer superchargers are CCS only, upgraded my car to CCS charging ability and a Type 2 to CCS adaptor. Without this I would be limited to the less powerful Type 2 rapid chargers.

You could always pull one of these behind you, just incase.View attachment 65132

Funnily enough during holiday periods in the States a lot of supercharger locations suffer really long queues. Tesla have now something similar but on a much larger scale. Huge diesel generators and charge points mounted on artic (or semi if you’re American) trailers. These are moved from location to location to provide additional superchargers. Not sure just how environmentally friendly that is!!

Evening Tony, with the Nissan Leaf being a company pool car, my knowledge on how it all works is done through an induction on various points of car use. Car front plug in point, two sockets, with the LHS for fast charge, could I used the TESLA charge points at Broxden, Perth, which were available?

Incidentally, I bumped into our EV work guru, I gave him feedback on my trip, car was fine, more about the broken infrastructure. He said about my trip, "I would not have recommended a round trip from campus to Perth".

Working the various buttons, ECO off when more power required at hills etc, does eek out the miles required!

Terry,

Only a few of the Tesla locations are open as a trial (15 in the UK). In Scotland only Dundee and Aviemore are open to other cars so you couldn’t charge at Broxden. However if (or when) it opens to you the Leaf could use the Broxden superchargers which have both CCS and type 2 tethered cables.

The main reason I ended up buying the Tesla was because of their charging infrastructure, which not only is plentiful (a few years back there were more superchargers in the UK than the total of every other public charge points) but they are also reliable. Although there have been tremendous improvements in public rapid charger points since my purchase 3 years back I would still not consider any other EV, even though many of them IMHO are now as good or even better than the available Teslas today. When I change my EV it’ll have to be either when the new Model X hits these shores in a year or more (believe it or not production of the old MX like mine ceased in 2020 and they have not been sold in the UK since) or when ALL superchargers are open to other vehicles since I would still not like to do trips like my recent 1200 mile round trip to Guernsey relying solely on public charge points.
Incidentally we’re off to Penicuik on Sunday for a few days. Don’t know what the daughter has planned but she generally takes us to your country park for a walk, so if you see somebody peering over the fence it may be me!!

If I am out with the Nissan Leaf again, Tony, I'll bring along my Jackery pack for backup :giggle:
Great idea, Terry, but it could take a while!!
Don’t know about the Jackery specs but for reference on a standard 3 pin socket at home the car charges at just over 2kw (so 50+ hours for my 100kw battery!). My home charger runs at 7kw then superchargers run at either 150 or 250kw!!

Terry,

Only a few of the Tesla locations are open as a trial (15 in the UK). In Scotland only Dundee and Aviemore are open to other cars so you couldn’t charge at Broxden. However if (or when) it opens to you the Leaf could use the Broxden superchargers which have both CCS and type 2 tethered cables.

The main reason I ended up buying the Tesla was because of their charging infrastructure, which not only is plentiful (a few years back there were more superchargers in the UK than the total of every other public charge points) but they are also reliable. Although there have been tremendous improvements in public rapid charger points since my purchase 3 years back I would still not consider any other EV, even though many of them IMHO are now as good or even better than the available Teslas today. When I change my EV it’ll have to be either when the new Model X hits these shores in a year or more (believe it or not production of the old MX like mine ceased in 2020 and they have not been sold in the UK since) or when ALL superchargers are open to other vehicles since I would still not like to do trips like my recent 1200 mile round trip to Guernsey relying solely on public charge points.
Incidentally we’re off to Penicuik on Sunday for a few days. Don’t know what the daughter has planned but she generally takes us to your country park for a walk, so if you see somebody peering over the fence it may be me!!
Tony,
Come January I will no longer have access to an EV. I have to say though, I have enjoyed the EV experience, not so with with the Nissan van on one trip to a college event at Ingleston, then Nissan Leaf 1st generation I think, was good, I really did like the BMW i3, including the suicide rear doors!!

New Nissan Leaf would be good for local gadding about, longer journeys would require more logistical though.

Fair to say TESLA are the mutts nutz, far better miles per charge from rival brand names.

Enjoy your DCP tour, no doubt shopping and eating therapy at Restoration Yard is planned?

Funnily enough I was driving my daughter in laws BMW i3 in Guernsey last week, showing it to potential buyers as she was selling it to buy an old Landy for the horse box. Really liked it once we got used to those rear doors. Hers had a “range extender” which seemed pointless to me when you live on such a small island!

I reckon you’re right re Restoration Yard as no doubt I’ll be paying! Mind you I love the place. The only firm plan is we’re all off to the Lights at the Botanics on Monday night - always a great evening.

Great idea, Terry, but it could take a while!!
Don’t know about the Jackery specs but for reference on a standard 3 pin socket at home the car charges at just over 2kw (so 50+ hours for my 100kw battery!). My home charger runs at 7kw then superchargers run at either 150 or 250kw!!

I think he's joking (🤣) but the jackery full to flat would be the equivalent of plugging into a supercharger for 14 seconds....

EVs won't be right for everyone but they have been in existence for over 100 years. At one time the UK had more EVs on the road than any other country in the world, and they were pretty much bullet proof.
Times change and we have to be ready for the down slope from peak oil when the availability and price of fossil fuels become unsustainable.
Currently EVs are marketed to a niche market because that's where the money for buying them is, but that's changing and new manufacturers, Tesla, the Chinese, the Koreans and some small British companies, will start to push the legacy manufacturers into being more innovative.
The charging infrastructure is improving but there's still a way to go and the intelligent grid will become a major factor in making charging cheaper, but it's still a work in progress.
So for all the downsides it's the early adopters who will make, what is inevitable, into reality.
All the same arguments were used against the introduction of ice vehicles and it was only the development of mass production by Henry Ford that brought us a cheap car for the people. He would have chosen electric instead of petrol but for the lack of technology at the time.

On another forum it was said that it will be illegal to charge them due to the energy crisis.

EVs won't be right for everyone but they have been in existence for over 100 years. At one time the UK had more EVs on the road than any other country in the world, and they were pretty much bullet proof.
Times change and we have to be ready for the down slope from peak oil when the availability and price of fossil fuels become unsustainable.
Currently EVs are marketed to a niche market because that's where the money for buying them is, but that's changing and new manufacturers, Tesla, the Chinese, the Koreans and some small British companies, will start to push the legacy manufacturers into being more innovative.
The charging infrastructure is improving but there's still a way to go and the intelligent grid will become a major factor in making charging cheaper, but it's still a work in progress.
So for all the downsides it's the early adopters who will make, what is inevitable, into reality.
All the same arguments were used against the introduction of ice vehicles and it was only the development of mass production by Henry Ford that brought us a cheap car for the people. He would have chosen electric instead of petrol but for the lack of technology at the time.
Peak oil is a pretty redundant term now. With fracking oil is produced as and when needed and the price is right, there is no shortage. Can’t remember the area but a place in America produces more oil than all but the two top producing countries from just fracking.

Battery’s for transport are an environmental disaster waiting to happen. 10 kilos of liquid fuel is much more efficient than 10 kilos of battery power and when it’s used there is nothing left to dispose of unlike battery’s. The problem with current liquid fuels is the nasties in the emissions from the exhaust (ignoring any from production as battery’s are as bad or worse). Liquid fuel such as hydrogen only leaves water behind. Time governments and industry stopped being greedy and put in place a proper solution

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back