Engine Mapping

It does sound as if the pump or its pressure regulator is suspect given the variety of failure conditions.
A free pump to use as a test of the theory doesn't sound too bad.

I think it’s the only ‘big’ thing left to try as I’ve had a new fuel rail sensor and the fuel regulator so fingers crossed.
It won’t be fitted for a couple of weeks yet but I’ll post the results on here 👍🏼

Let's hope it does the trick.
I have a Passat estate that was heavily remappped when I bought it and I had it pulled back down to something much more civilised.
The tuner said at the time that the map was calling for conditions beyond safe working limits of some components - so glad I had it sorted.
It has PD engine so more limited options than with later Common Rail system.

Hi mark, it seems to go into limp mode when driving steady 60-65 ish.
I think it's a fair assumption that the engine had enough power to drive at a steady 60-65 ish before it was remapped, which suggests that it isn't likely to be the remap causing the pump to do more work than its maker intended.

I think it's a fair assumption that the engine had enough power to drive at a steady 60-65 ish before it was remapped, which suggests that it isn't likely to be the remap causing the pump to do more work than its maker intended.
TBH re-mapping shouldn't make the engine any worse as all it's really doing is asking for a little more fuel mix when needed but I suppose it does possibly up the pressure slightly?

My T5 has been done for over 5 years now and still runs perfectly - extra grunt but no smoking etc. My X Trail the same - runs smooth as a bell with no smoke and that went from 173 to 221!

My freelander 2. Did the same. cruise ok But put a bit of pressure on the gas. Uphill or accelerate. And it went into limp mode. My friendly mech had a look. It has a Peugeot diesel 2.2 hdi engine. Same as my Moho That surprised me. . He changed the diesel filter. it was filthy. All goes great now. So poss dirty Fuel. filter

Even slightly dirty filters can cause a lot of issues. I now have mine changed every service for peace of mind - it's cheap enough so why not.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back