Excited?

runnach

Just this minute completed claiming state pension (delayed three month). When I return to work on the 4th, I have thirteen days to clear my desk, clear my toolbox, and cram in as many homers I can before the finishing line arrives on the 20th.

Such trepidation, reminds me of my first 50 metre dive many year ago!!

Terry I was lucky enough to be able to retire early. I thought really long and hard about it for months as it was a pretty momentous step and I actually really enjoyed my work.
However never a day goes by now that I regret taking the decision to retire. Despite my enjoyment of work my enjoyment of retirement is even greater. Just make sure you have plenty to do.
Good luck and enjoy.
Tony

Terry I was lucky enough to be able to retire early. I thought really long and hard about it for months as it was a pretty momentous step and I actually really enjoyed my work.
However never a day goes by now that I regret taking the decision to retire. Despite my enjoyment of work my enjoyment of retirement is even greater. Just make sure you have plenty to do.
Good luck and enjoy.
Tony
Agreed,
I retired at 62.
One of my (half) pensions had kicked in at 60.
Then the smaller one started immediately on finishing.
At 65 the state pension started paying.
Yes I too enjoyed my work up until the last 3 months. I had a calender printed and would put a diagonal line through the daya
at 9am and then the full X straight after lunch !

I also retired at 62 and it was the best thing I have done. At the time I was working as a Construction Manager (on contract for an Engineering Construction Company) and needed an operation on my shoulder. The Op was in January 2009 and I had to totally rest my shoulder for 3 months. By the time I was ready for work again, the Construction industry had disappeared due to the Economic downturn and Stock Market crash. My Father never lived long enough to reach retirement due to 48 years down the Pit, something I was conscious of and the main reason I decided that I had had enough.
For the first time my motorhome could be used for holidays instead of my home at diferent jobsites.

Enjoy it Terry.
:)

Cheers gents, and Tony, I may take the first few week keeping myself busy doing nothing, till midday :giggle:

Phil, Government Gateway online service is really good and accurate SP figure given. I'm still waiting from SPPA for final figures including lump sum payment, although there is an online calculator and talking with colleagues recently retired, online calculator is a guide and actual numbers received, are greater! Pity our investments are struggling at the moment, a slow creep up, another negative world event, a rapid slide down.

Hey Jim, my father never saw retirement either, cancer took him at 56 yo. 😢 at least the 08/09 market crash, plus shoulder op, worked to your benefit with bringing closure to your working career!

I fell into retirement at age 50. I had been off work for over a year with chronic insomnia which meant I couldn't teach. When I eventually left the college I was working at I never went back to work. I have some control over the insomnia now 5 years later but haven't considered returning to work,

I thought I did well to escape at 59 when I got made redundant and DWP said to take pension credit, I'd had enough anyway, lots of aches and pains which have only got worse, I too do not regret retirement, my only regret was not setting up a private pension, but as a biker, I didn't expect to still be here, but hey ho, I am :) :)

I fell into retirement at age 50. I had been off work for over a year with chronic insomnia which meant I couldn't teach. When I eventually left the college I was working at I never went back to work. I have some control over the insomnia now 5 years later but haven't considered returning to work,
Insomnia's not worth losing sleep over, Graham :D. I waiting for my GP to prescribe medication for my kleptomania; I've told him, I'll take anything, and even if it hurts, I can steal myself in preparation ...:rolleyes:. Meanwhile, I've dug the dehumidifier out and its beginning the slow drying out process. Humidity level has dropped from 62% to 57% and the water collection is useful for topping up the Bathroom cistern until the water is reconnected ...

Steve

Got my state pension August, just received a letter from the friendly tax man informing me that I will owe them £850.00 by next April so going onto an ‘X’ tax code April to pay it back. So that’s the 10% state pension rise due April gone lol.
I should have realised I would owe them tax as I already paid tax on my works pensions so obvious I would have to pay tax on my state pension.
Stopped work at 55 when wife diagnosed with cancer to spend as much time as possible With her. 2 years later after her death decided I could manage on my works pensions. Now don’t know how I had time to work, always busy child minding for daughter, travelling, house maintenance, watching cricket etc, etc.
Best advise I can give to anyone is take your pensions as early as possible and enjoy life. My late wife had 1 month of her nhs pension then died, life’s to short to work till state pension age imho.

When the retirement went up to 62 I worked out my last day and gave my boss a years notice…. She was shocked at first until she realised It was in a year. Worked to the Thursday, had retirement party on Saturday then France on Monday for 6 weeks……never looked back

I typed out my resignation at 5am on Boxing Day morning 2 years ago. No state pension for a few years yet so I say I'm unemployed but not looking for a job.
Phill carried on working although receiving his state pension since he was 66 but after too many funerals this year I persuaded him to retire.
He left work on the Friday and we set off for a month in the van on the Monday. First time ever we'd had the time to pack and sort the van out properly, and first time we've been away for more than 10 days. I wondered how we'd get on and thought maybe we'd come home early but we managed the month and really enjoyed it.
That was at the end of September and Phill is finally getting into being retired, although are friends and neighbours are getting their lists of jobs ready for him.
One thing I've noticed - He has turned into a shopping anorak! He organises everything in the trolley, all stacked neatly and cooked meat away from fresh etc. Yesterday I even let him put it all in the bags without full instruction from the sidelines. He's a changed man.

I typed out my resignation at 5am on Boxing Day morning 2 years ago. No state pension for a few years yet so I say I'm unemployed but not looking for a job.
Phill carried on working although receiving his state pension since he was 66 but after too many funerals this year I persuaded him to retire.
He left work on the Friday and we set off for a month in the van on the Monday. First time ever we'd had the time to pack and sort the van out properly, and first time we've been away for more than 10 days. I wondered how we'd get on and thought maybe we'd come home early but we managed the month and really enjoyed it.
That was at the end of September and Phill is finally getting into being retired, although are friends and neighbours are getting their lists of jobs ready for him.
One thing I've noticed - He has turned into a shopping anorak! He organises everything in the trolley, all stacked neatly and cooked meat away from fresh etc. Yesterday I even let him put it all in the bags without full instruction from the sidelines. He's a changed man.
Every man needs a hobby, stand back and let him get on with it.

I finished work at 50 after 34 yrs at Rolls Royce & Bentley Motors in Crewe thank Goodness I was introduced to the Final Salary Scheme when I was a young lad not thinking of Pensions at that age. Thought I'd miss it but 14 yrs on only miss the lads, can't believe where the time goes now not enough Hrs in the day.

You never hear someone regretting early retirement. I am very glad to have quit at 55 and despite health affecting retirement plans it’s been great.

I finished work at 50 after 34 yrs at Rolls Royce & Bentley Motors in Crewe thank Goodness I was introduced to the Final Salary Scheme when I was a young lad not thinking of Pensions at that age. Thought I'd miss it but 14 yrs on only miss the lads, can't believe where the time goes now not enough Hrs in the day.

You may have come across my FiL who worked at Broughtons in Cheltenham for 48 years as lead mechanic on RR motorcars. He regularly went up to Crewe on courses etc. He retired 19 years ago at 65.

You may have come across my FiL who worked at Broughtons in Cheltenham for 48 years as lead mechanic on RR motorcars. He regularly went up to Crewe on courses etc. He retired 19 years ago at 65.
Sorry didn't have the pleasure of meeting him.. must be a very Knowledgeable Chap having all that experience, had the pleasure of meeting Paul Woods at P & A Woods Rolls Royce Dealership in London a few yrs back what Skills they had.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back