Excited?

My plan was to request a half contract of Wed & Thurs, then when VS reared it's lovely head, my helmet rather rapidly went into the ring, I was surprised my request was given, I was a happy camper!!

I managed to struggle on until 53..
I had years of warnings from the medics. Management too.
We took some huge risks in building up our business and making it saleable.
Took off for a 5 year break, living frugally, until we could think about pulling down our private pensions.
We thought about full- timing in a canal boat... Until we chanced upon a couple in An Autosleeper
Portugal seemed to fit our bill... low cost of living, fair climate. . And the locals are habitually kind to Brits.
Our, " 5 year break ", lasted 20 years..
Never had a moment's boredom.
We've ground to a halt in a place that we love.
Have a great retirement, Terry.
And the rest if you.

Cheers gents, and Tony, I may take the first few week keeping myself busy doing nothing, till midday :giggle:

Phil, Government Gateway online service is really good and accurate SP figure given. I'm still waiting from SPPA for final figures including lump sum payment, although there is an online calculator and talking with colleagues recently retired, online calculator is a guide and actual numbers received, are greater! Pity our investments are struggling at the moment, a slow creep up, another negative world event, a rapid slide down.

Hey Jim, my father never saw retirement either, cancer took him at 56 yo. 😢 at least the 08/09 market crash, plus shoulder op, worked to your benefit with bringing closure to your working career!
Creeping up a lot faster when I had a look this afternoon Terry. ;)

I managed to struggle on until 53..
I had years of warnings from the medics. Management too.
We took some huge risks in building up our business and making it saleable.
Took off for a 5 year break, living frugally, until we could think about pulling down our private pensions.
We thought about full- timing in a canal boat... Until we chanced upon a couple in An Autosleeper
Portugal seemed to fit our bill... low cost of living, fair climate. . And the locals are habitually kind to Brits.
Our, " 5 year break ", lasted 20 years..
Never had a moment's boredom.
We've ground to a halt in a place that we love.
Have a great retirement, Terry.
And the rest if you.
Good to hear how this all panned out for you guys. Portugal is on our to do list.

Best to you both n cheers!! (y)

I get my private pension in 3 weeks, then next year the gov one, never have more than 30 grand in a private one or the gov will hit you with 40% tax on it if you draw it all down, which im going to do, because if I kick the bucket it stops and wife gets nothing, cash better in my pocket.

I get my private pension in 3 weeks, then next year the gov one, never have more than 30 grand in a private one or the gov will hit you with 40% tax on it if you draw it all down, which im going to do, because if I kick the bucket it stops and wife gets nothing, cash better in my pocket.
Tax Trev? Wot's that? :confused:

Share ISA is the way to go. Max out your allowance until it is all in the ISA ...... then reelaaaxx. :)

trev, you need to get some pension advice to avoid paying too much tax. You also don't have to buy a pension that means the wife gets nothing if you die. times have changed.

You need to find a reputable IFA, Trev. I did, thanks to Jim, who recommended a certain company.

Sorry didn't have the pleasure of meeting him.. must be a very Knowledgeable Chap having all that experience, had the pleasure of meeting Paul Woods at P & A Woods Rolls Royce Dealership in London a few yrs back what Skills they had.

He was very knowledgeable by all accounts yes, and still has all his certificates from his courses up at Crewe, framed and up on one wall of his house...oh and Silver Shadow 11 in his garage that hasn't seen the light of day for a few years now!

He was very knowledgeable by all accounts yes, and still has all his certificates from his courses up at Crewe, framed and up on one wall of his house...oh and Silver Shadow 11 in his garage that hasn't seen the light of day for a few years now!
Silver Shadow that takes me back.... wired a few thousand of them in my day they drove like being in a boat compared to today's Models but had a 3 Yr waiting list in the late 70's early 80's everyone wanted to follow that Flying Lady to let people know they'd made it. Met quite a few Stars in the day as Rolls was the only Car Manufacturer with it's own MOT & Service Dept where they brought them in for Service then had a tour of the Factory while waiting...Good Old Days. Chris.

I thought your Wife gets 1/2 your Private Pension if you pass....mine does plus 1/2 you're State Pension too. Chris.

The state pension was changed in 2016. The pension is now due on an individuals contributions and not transferable in the vast majority of cases. If retirement was before 2016 then it might still be the case that pensions are transferable, but it might be worth double checking entitlement of spouse.

Davy

Is it possible to convert part of it into a life insurance policy so that when you scuffle off she's taken care of?

Silver Shadow that takes me back.... wired a few thousand of them in my day they drove like being in a boat compared to today's Models but had a 3 Yr waiting list in the late 70's early 80's everyone wanted to follow that Flying Lady to let people know they'd made it. Met quite a few Stars in the day as Rolls was the only Car Manufacturer with it's own MOT & Service Dept where they brought them in for Service then had a tour of the Factory while waiting...Good Old Days. Chris.
My mate is a qualified RR & Bentley technician, and I passed into his workshop today, more RR's parked up that you could shake a stick at. I have done a few interesting weld repairs for him in the past. Lovely machines!!

You should move to Yorkshire Trev, they're breaking new ground all the time, it must be true as I read it in the Yorkshire Post.

I have no problem at all with that. It's too stressful trying to get it all into the bags quickly in Aldi whilst being glared at by the till operator.

I just ignore them now tbh as I also fill bags whilst they check out rather than taking it over to the shelf to fill my bags. Bollox to that: I've spent my money with you so I'll do as I want thank you.

I have no problem at all with that. It's too stressful trying to get it all into the bags quickly in Aldi whilst being glared at by the till operator.
Our Aldi has a massive shelf the length of the store for packing bags so we just put stuff in the trolley, as for till staff, tey sjould have pade mor attenshun in skool.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back