Fiat Peeling Paint - Hammerite?

UFO

Our 2009 Adria Twin / Fiat Ducato has the unfortunately all too common peeling paint. Photo 1. There are a couple of places above the cab, the roof is pretty bad and also above the high-level brake light. No signs of peeling paint on the rest of the body.

Photo 2. I have now noticed some surface rust. On two of the fixing points, probably because this is where the water lies as the van is parked on a slope, also on the roof above the high-level brake light. Dealing with this is relatively straight forward. Rub down, treat rust, primer, undercoat and topcoat, using touch up brush as appearance is not important being on the roof.

However I am thinking that I need to do something about the roof. Rub down and get rid of the flaking paint. I think it can be hand painted, including the panel where the high-level roof light is. The areas above the cab will need more of a proper job as it is visible.

Questions
1. What is the best way to prepare the roof?
2. What paint(s) to use / how many coats of what?

Some context. Van first registered June 2009. We bought it in November 2009. A while ago were we considering replacing the van but after a thorough search we could not find anything that took our fancy so it looks like we will be keeping the van.

I have had a look at some old threads but it is not clear what the best way is.
https://motorhomer.com/threads/fiat-rust.42251/
https://motorhomer.com/threads/roof-paint.41833/#post-175906
https://motorhomer.com/threads/paint-job.41178/page-2#post-159701
https://motorhomer.com/threads/my-van-is-so-appealing.39663/#post-118511

Roof Rust 1.JPG

Roof Rust 2.JPG

thanks

White Hammerite smooth after treating rust spots couple of coats over the patches then one all over

Anyone with a peeling bonnet might consider Vinyl wrapping it lots of off cuts available on ebay watch a few utube videos to get the general idea

Last edited:
  • Thank You
Reactions: UFO
Fiat peeling paint is not uncommon. The paint is failing to adhere to the hard shiny primer they used. I had the whole of the front of my MH repainted a couple of months ago and the painters had to take my bonnet back to bare metal in order to remove the hazard of continued peeling in the future. 83D48318-7AB9-4F18-AF54-6369D1ACD8E9.jpegAF6BFFEF-6DD7-4ABF-91CB-28B2DDBA6698.jpeg

My Jan 2006 Boxer cab is the same. I had the bonnet done a few years back but it's peeling there again and on other panels. I've seen so many people say they have this problem and it seems to be for those built during a certain period of years. Someone told me the primer will be OK but all the top paint needs to come off before a respray. One day...

• Thank You
Bite the bullet and have it partially resprayed , or get out the Hammerite. You’ve seen mine. A good job makes all the difference. I’m getting a few new flaking areas, fortunately on the roof and und the wings. Again not getting past the galvanising.

• Thank You
My Jan 2006 Boxer cab is the same. I had the bonnet done a few years back but it's peeling there again and on other panels. I've seen so many people say they have this problem and it seems to be for those built during a certain period of years. Someone told me the primer will be OK but all the top paint needs tho, o come off before a respray. One day...
My Peugeot 2004 had the paint fall off the bonnet in places , took the bonnet off to the body shop, (too big to take whole van in ) and they did a great job,
And now my 2011 Ducato has the same problem, may put stickers over it for now 😀.
crap original paint and they didn't improve in the 7 years between my vans

Bite the bullet and have it partially resprayed , or get out the Hammerite. You’ve seen mine. A good job makes all the difference. I’m getting a few new flaking areas, fortunately on the roof and und the wings. Again not getting past the galvanising.
Del - Due to rust behind the sliding door rail, see photo, I had the whole rear upper panel striped and resprayed 3 years ago. But the rust has come back in the same place, which I am now trying to keep on top of. The respray was a good job but the guy who did it said rust is like cancer and it cannot be guaranteed not to return, unless the metal is completly removed and replaced. So I am loath to spend money on resprays. As the worst flaking paint is on the roof, out of sight, I am happy to deal with this myself.
IMG_9919.JPG

Last edited:
Keep a check on solar panels brackets .adhesion is only as good as the paint . unless screwed down .
Yes, I've read the horror stories! The panel has been on the roof for 7 years and all six brackets appear to be firmly fixed. However I do intend to put 2 screws in each of the 6 brackets.

In the photo is the piece of 'tin' that was cut out to fit the external refillable gas point.

I am pondering whether to remove the panel when I paint the roof - 3 pop rivets in each of the 6 brackets.
IMG_20200603_164037[1].jpg

Hammerite smooth has been suggested. There are two types -
- Direct to Galvanised Metal
- Direct to Rust Metal

If all the flaking paint will come off then I will be painting on the shiny primer, which seems to be adhering to the metal.
If only some of the paint will come off then I will be painting on a mix of shiny primer and paint.

Given how common this problem is has anyone direct experience of applying Hammerite to a van roof? Which Hammerite did you use?

Del - Due to rust behind the sliding door rail, see photo, I had the whole rear upper panel striped and resprayed 3 years ago. But the rust has come back in the same place, which I am now trying to keep on top of. The respray was a good job but the guy who did it said rust is like cancer and it cannot be guaranteed not to return, unless the metal is completly removed and replaced. So I am loath to spend money on resprays. As the worst flaking paint is on the roof, out of sight, I am happy to deal with this myself.
View attachment 54698
I’ve not seen anything like that , thank goodness. I can remember Exwindsurfer had a similar problem.
I’ll be getting on the roof soon, to add a solar panel, I keep putting it off. I’ll watch for your experiences before I do.
Edit, ten minutes later. I’ve ordered Hammerite direct to galvanise in white. It’s got to be done. Pointless putting it off.

Last edited:
Is it f/glass or alloy,forget hammerite as total garbage,grp and alloy require a two pack acid etch primer followed by epoxy or polyurathane top coat ,all two pack and can be rolled on but use a slow hardener.
Where there is rust it must be removed and treated with a zink rich epoxy 2 pack primer,as panels cannot be shot blasted it may require new panels.
Big problem with cars and vans they are painted from new with cr-p water base paints.

Is it f/glass or alloy,forget hammerite as total garbage,grp and alloy require a two pack acid etch primer followed by epoxy or polyurathane top coat ,all two pack and can be rolled on but use a slow hardener.
Where there is rust it must be removed and treated with a zink rich epoxy 2 pack primer,as panels cannot be shot blasted it may require new panels.
Big problem with cars and vans they are painted from new with cr-p water base paints.
UFO and I both have similar Fiat based Adria twin PCV’s. My van, and I can only assume Oppy’s, have the top coat coming away from the galvanising. Im surprised that this problem exists on today’s vans.
When mine was sprayed, I was told that I could expect more peeling, and that Hammerite was as good as anything else. Bob, of Bobs Bodyshop‘s advice is good enough for me.

Last edited:
View attachment 54698
Is this the factory galvanised body? If it is then that’s no better than non galvanised vans???

So have Fiat ever solved this problem? or are they still sticking 😏 (pun intended) it on their current vans.
I wondered who has the least old van with the paint falling off issue, or maybe warranty repair.

So have Fiat ever solved this problem? or are they still sticking 😏 (pun intended) it on their current vans.
I wondered who has the least old van with the paint falling off issue, or maybe warranty repair.
It could be only certain colours affected by peeling but it shouldn’t go on for ever. To mt that rust on something that was galvanised is a bigger issue

I’ve only seen it on white vans, tbh. As these things are only built to be thrashed, abused for five years or so as delivery vehicles or builders vans. I don’t suppose Fiat were particularly bothered about the paint peeling off within ten years. Most would have been recycled by now.
Thank goodness for the galvanising. It has saved my van. Although the rust on Oppy’s, is worrying. Damaged in an earlier ownership perhaps? Am I lucky, or is it the love 💓 and attention I ( fail to ) lavish on it? 🙄

Oppy and I both have similar Fiat based Adria twin PCV’s. My van, and I can only assume Oppy’s, have the top coat coming away from the galvanising. Im surprised that this problem exists on today’s vans.
When mine was sprayed, I was told that I could expect more peeling, and that Hammerite was as good as anything else. Bob, of Bobs Bodyshop‘s advice is good enough for me.
I’ve only seen it on white vans, tbh. As these things are only built to be thrashed, abused for five years or so as delivery vehicles or builders vans. I don’t suppose Fiat were particularly bothered about the paint peeling off within ten years. Most would have been recycled by now.
Thank goodness for the galvanising. It has saved my van. Although the rust on Oppy’s, is worrying. Damaged in an earlier ownership perhaps? Am I lucky, or is it the love 💓 and attention I ( fail to ) lavish on it? 🙄
Oppy has a coachbuilt van Del, are you sure you have the right members name?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back