Fiat Peeling Paint - Hammerite?

trip homethumbnail_IMG_6203.jpg

Oppys 1997 Lunar Roadstar 570

Oppy has a coachbuilt van Del, are you sure you have the right members name?
Oppy, UFO. With such a busy social calendar, how am I expected to keep up. They knew who I meant. Besides, since I edited it, I’ve no idea what you mean.😳

I suppose Peter can be called an unidentified flying object when he jumps on his bike :ROFLMAO:

Hammerite smooth has been suggested. There are two types -
- Direct to Galvanised Metal
- Direct to Rust Metal

If all the flaking paint will come off then I will be painting on the shiny primer, which seems to be adhering to the metal.
If only some of the paint will come off then I will be painting on a mix of shiny primer and paint.

Given how common this problem is has anyone direct experience of applying Hammerite to a van roof? Which Hammerite did you use?
I used Hammerite Silver Smooth direct to rust on both my 2004 and my current 2010 vans. I rubbed down the primer to get a good key after removing as much flaking paint as possible. Its alarming how much paint lifts when you do this from what initially looks like a small area. I painted over the edges and did two coats and am happy to report it worked although i had to watch out for new areas popping up. Mine was restricted to the roof and gutters on both vans (so far).
My vans were metallic silver and lake blue metallic and the patches were not noticeable from ground level ;)

I used direct to rust because a couple of patches were down to the steel and rust was evident.

Hope that helps
K ;)

Ps I also added screws to the Solar Panel brackets because of this problem even though no paint was flaking near them. Better safe than sorry.

Hammerite direct to Galvanised ordered from Ebay. I'll get upon the roof one day. I will make a report on how it went. But don't hold your breath.

does anyone have a video of using the hammerite on the van. Also, should it be thinned out with white spirits or apply directly from the tin?

Hammerite is no more than a household paint with zyleen added, I'm my biz you would have been shot for saying it by those in the know, another fact no vans are hot dip galv, its only a cheap electroplate flash, but must be 2 pack etch primmed for a good grip, then what would I know being an anticorrosive engineer doing small jobs.oil tank.jpg

I am NO expert but

1 a proper full respray would cost ???

2 Cheaper solutions may last up to 5 years

MY cheaper solution would be white hammerite on the body and vinyl wrap the bonnet
I believe you could use a colour on the bonnet without having to tell the DVLA

Perhaps @trevskoda will RE-SUGGEST some products which are better than hammerite

Last edited:
I used hammerite on the bare chassis when I first started building a car. From memory, three coats of red lead, and then 8 coats of black hammerite. It's only been about 14 years, but it seems to be holding up well.

The paint on the early Ducato's was a disgrace. How it was never part of a recall beats me. A local body shop did their best to repaint the worst of the mess, it's pealing elsewhere now.
Word of advice. NEVER EVER look at your van with a withering stare. The paint will disappear before your very eyes.

Probably got away with it because ”it’s only a van” it survived the warranty period, and not designed to last as long as we want them to.

I used hammerite on the bare chassis when I first started building a car. From memory, three coats of red lead, and then 8 coats of black hammerite. It's only been about 14 years, but it seems to be holding up well.
They stopped making proper red led 50 years back, the stuff you buy now is dirt, epoxy 2 pack zink rich is best and self healing if it gets a scratch, this should be overcoated with 2 pack poly or acrylic, today's car paints are water base except the top coat which is a two pack.

Should off had it shot blasted first the epoxy coated primer.jotun.png

Whilst I don't deny you are probably right Trev, we can only work with the tools available at that time

In my case, the paint I mentioned and used, seems to have worked just fine for me.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back