First time going France feeling really stressed

Just do it and enjoy we have not long come back from a six week trip
Bill

We plan to take our MH over to France & Spain for the first time maybe next year, no hesitation at all and are in fact quite looking forward to the new adventure.
Our MH came equipped with TV aerial and Sat dish but we also have unlimited mobile data in the UK but more limited elsewhere though should still be okay. But as said it's hardly a priority! We just love venturing into the unknown and just play it as it comes. Our best worldly adventures have been as such with minimal planning and just going with the flow whatever feels right to do. Sometimes even heading for known confrontation just to spice things up in a foreign country, like being on a Vietnamese registered motorbike in Cambodia where the cops are so unbelievably corrupt to stop you and ask for beer money. We didn't see many MH's over that way. 😄
Just go for it, it will be great. (y)

we’ve been over for a month now haven’t even thought of turning the telly on but watched the rugby yesterday on i pad by itv hub in a couple of hours used just over 1.25 go of data, three restrict you to 19gb a month but you can also buy a 3 internet with legs sim that will give you more or a vodaphone sim will allow 25gb , if you do want to watch a fair bit of tv you can get a local unlimited sim for about €1 a day ,

In the summer, long days, warm even in the UK,, plenty of alternatives to Telly.
But come winter, even in southern Spain it's short days and can be parky at night, I
then quite like having a bit of Spanish or personally selected prerecorded British T.V.

In addition I stream UK radio at a low bit rate which gives plenty of listening
time without depleting my data 12GB/month allowance too rapidly.

Lot of you seem to have miss understood the post. the poster seems worried about the journey down to Spain /France, not the lack of TV ?

Attachments

• SDC10073.JPG
    SDC10073.JPG
    328.9 KB · Views: 9
  • SDC10071.JPG
    SDC10071.JPG
    332.1 KB · Views: 9
  • SDC10078.JPG
    SDC10078.JPG
    334.5 KB · Views: 9
  • SDC10075.JPG
    SDC10075.JPG
    323.9 KB · Views: 9
Sorry Trigger, a bit quick on the trigger..... " what does every one use to stream UK TV". Is asked.

In the summer, long days, warm even in the UK,, plenty of alternatives to Telly.
But come winter, even in southern Spain it's short days and can be parky at night, I
then quite like having a bit of Spanish or personally selected prerecorded British T.V.

In addition I stream UK radio at a low bit rate which gives plenty of listening
time without depleting my data 12GB/month allowance too rapidly.
Indeed , if people want a bit of telly why shouldn't they ?
France , in general , closes pretty early so I'm more inclined to watch stuff . Downloads , streaming etc . Last resort are dvds , usually from charity shops , which makes my son very agitated [apparently there is no need for dvds]
Always think vanlife makes you much more aware re water , electric , gas and data . No bad thing

Went for the first time last year. The only telly we watched was the royal wedding on a French channel with the volume down whilst streaming UK radio for the commentary. I agree with what most are saying, France is really well set up for MH's or camping car's as they call them. We really enjoyed it and didn't really plan too far ahead, we generally chose our next destination over a beer, wine or pastis (or two) the day before. No timetable or destination, you're neither late nor lost🙂. We used Aires mainly, most inland ones are free, you just pay for services (water etc.). As you get near the coast, they start to charge. Every week or so we booked into an ACSI site for laundry etc. I find an app called "searchforsites" really good, it has most of the Aires in the "All the Aires" books along with commercial sites and some "France Passion" sites. In the UK it includes all the CL's and CS's and some Brit Stops. There is a small charge for it but it's worth it.
Don't stress, it's really easy and great fun, enjoy. Just remember to set your satnav for no tolls.

Lot of you seem to have miss understood the post. the poster seems worried about the journey down to Spain /France, not the lack of TV ?
I can only refer you to post #11. The Long Road South . On ” Outandabout”. Find it online, simples 🥺
Two routes on there. One for the south coast of Spain, the other for northern Spain and Madrid.

In winter dark evenings can seem long and are wetter. We tend to binge on box sets then. I remember very cosy evenings in the van in France with The Wire and Breaking Bad
Summer we don’t bother with TV but listen to a lot more radio.

Ive always found www. about-France.com or about Spain useful for initial planning

I entirely agree with Daygoboy re coming home and the stress of the M 25
Driving over there always seems to me to be of the 1950s or those news videos of the opening of the M1!!! A great pleasure with huge almost empty roads

You can watch pretty much every film and a lot of tv series for nothing on your laptop on 123Movies.

Sorry Trigger, a bit quick on the trigger..... " what does every one use to stream UK TV". Is asked.
Yes but that was a supplementary question ,surely the stress is about the trave I M O ? and others it would seem?

Yes but that was a supplementary question ,surely the stress is about the trave I M O ? and others it would seem?

The first question demands mainly subjective answers, stressed about what in particular?
Have I enough money to last out, the prospect of driving on the left fills me with dread, are the aires safe,
what if I breakdown, perhaps all of these. I couldn't say that these things cannot happen, or just because
I don't worry about these matters, that I should advise other people that they also shouldn't worry. For a
start the OP might be a very nervous driver, I have no idea. Anyway that's the reason(s) I didn't answer
Q1.

The second question how people receive/stream TV is a much simpler question to address and say
something about (y)

Just take your time, watch for speed limits, especially the 30km (20mph) usually near to schools and small villages. Roundabouts can be a challenge, watch out for the large hgvs plowing through and overtaking you on the roundabout. I have often needed to go on around the roundabout and have a "second bite" at getting my road out. Finally keep your distance from the vehicle in front, you are on holiday, they are rushing to their next appointment or accident. Final point Dash Cam.

Why oh why are you stressed about UK TV??? even at its best it is still bilge. There will be much to much to see and enjoy to bother about the telly. There are some downloads for your mobile computer that will allow you to access tv should you run out of wine and cheese, but just in case, load up some memory sticks with your favourite films, back tv stuff and music, that's what we do, but on our occasional campsite stop we tend to use their wifi to catch up on uk stuff.
As to "is it worth it"
For goodness sake, it'll be the adventure of a lifetime for a virgin. Put into your satnag 'avoid motorways & tolls' and gently amble through some wonderful towns and villages with free aires often in great spots and remember that it's not the being there, it's the getting there that counts. Sue and I have often set off to go somewhere and never arrived, France and Spain are just too full of reasons to delay you, and the very best bit is the unknown------honestly

Best bit of advice I've seen on any forum for those like moi who ain't been yet, Cheers Oppy

Put into your satnag 'avoid motorways & tolls

Last edited:
I know exactly where you are coming from! I first agreed to a french trip back in 2017 when a gathering of us ‘girls’ agreed to a french trip after a few glasses of wine!! I was apprehensive about it from the following morning (after the hangover had worn off) until about 2 hours after arriving in France several month later.
I’ve never looked back. The driving is so much easier than the UK and I wish I had done it years ago. When I arrive in Calais I just say to myself ‘keep your butt in the gutter’. Now on my second trip this year and loving the sun in the south east.
Never bother with TV whilst over here - just use BBC I Player for Holby City!!!
Go for it and enjoy.

On the viewing side of things, I too use IPlayer to download movies etc, but also download Netflix too, when all are watched Macdonalds are handy for downloading more, never had a problem with download speed or quantity with them.

We did up until this latest van always have a 24" TV and plenty of charity shop DVDs, but I havent bothered this time, we like to play cards, talk, read etc

I’ve never looked back. The driving is so much easier than the UK and I wish I had done it years ago. When I arrive in Calais I just say to myself ‘keep your butt in the gutter’. Now on my second trip this year and loving the sun in the south east.
Go for it and enjoy.
Easy init.
Rural France is brilliant. I’m even getting to like the French. Never thought I’d say that.
None of you met my MIL. Evil Edna.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back