First time Motorhomer in September - Advice Needed

Suffy

Hi All,

Our plans of visiting France have been scuppered due to COVID. We still have the motorhome booked for use within the UK - of which we are still going to use.

So, my question is; with 10 days from mid September. Where would you recommend? I see a lot of talk about lochs/lakes/country spots all being closed to Motorhomes at the moment.

Our plan was to travel up toward the Lake District/Yorkshire. Day trip to York. Even carry on North and venture to Edinburgh.
Or possibly head west to the coast of Wales and potter along that way.

However, although we have lived here for many, many years - we know less about using a motorhome within the UK than we do for using one in France (and we've never been there either!).

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

I would decide roughly where you would like to go, then research campsites along your route. Safe travels.

Both trips sound nice.

Where do you live and where are you picking the MH up from?

Hi All,

Our plans of visiting France have been scuppered due to COVID. We still have the motorhome booked for use within the UK - of which we are still going to use.

So, my question is; with 10 days from mid September. Where would you recommend? I see a lot of talk about lochs/lakes/country spots all being closed to Motorhomes at the moment.

Our plan was to travel up toward the Lake District/Yorkshire. Day trip to York. Even carry on North and venture to Edinburgh.
Or possibly head west to the coast of Wales and potter along that way.

However, although we have lived here for many, many years - we know less about using a motorhome within the UK than we do for using one in France (and we've never been there either!).

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks
I suggest that you avoid Devon and Cornwall, avoid the SE coast of England and keep away from popular seaside locations. Everywhere else is easier and more pleasant.

Personaly I,d cancel it if you can you couldn,t have chosen a worst time for a first trip.

Welcome to the forum.

We've been campers of all kinds for most of our lives. Whilst we've written off 2020 and all our trips around Europe, North East England, Southern Scotland, Worcester, et al, we still intend to take short breaks once the school holidays are over.

It costs peanuts to stay at 5 van CLs and CSs, and avoid large campsites, so that's what we are doing.

As you say you are new to a camper, it may not pay to set your sights too high this one year.

My advice is it’s not as bad out there as the media would have you believe just avoid major holiday destinations and if your wilding keep everything in side your van except maybe a chair if you want to sit out for a while but enjoy 👍

Hi all,

Unfortunately - we aren't able to cancel. This has been booked since last year and because there are no UK restrictions stopping us using the vehicle, we aren't able to cancel.

We are thinking of either SW Scotland and ferry to Ireland. Or wild camp around Lakes/Lochs.

We've been told weather in Scotland should be avoided in September?

However, the comments coming from here seem to suggest we should just not bother going? is the reason for this because everything is shut and we won't be able to park up?

I should clarify, we have camped extensively over the years. Just never in a motorhome.

I’d say that rather than spending on a ferry you’d be better to join here where you also get wildcamping and motorhome builder. Use the location app on wild camping to find places to stay, looking first at streetview. In SW Scotland there are plenty of nice quiet places if you stay away from the coast.
It may also be worth joining C & MH club for their large network of CL sites, just 5 vans and often very cheap. You should certainly be able to have a fun trip even with covid restrictions. What better way to stay safe than in a motorhome.

The ferry to Ireland is expensive. There are so many good places in GB that I'd not bother. Don't know who told you that the weather in Scotland is bad in September. That's nonsense. It's just as unpredictable then as at any other time.
If you're not set on any particular area, why not wait to see what the forecast is, and choose where to go on that basis? That's the joy of a motorhome: no need to book or to plan.
Join wildcamping and use the 'app' to find place to stop, night by night.

Hi all,

Unfortunately - we aren't able to cancel. This has been booked since last year and because there are no UK restrictions stopping us using the vehicle, we aren't able to cancel.

We are thinking of either SW Scotland and ferry to Ireland. Or wild camp around Lakes/Lochs.

We've been told weather in Scotland should be avoided in September?

However, the comments coming from here seem to suggest we should just not bother going? is the reason for this because everything is shut and we won't be able to park up?

I should clarify, we have camped extensively over the years. Just never in a motorhome.

All the campsites should be open in Sept in Scotland. Do some on line research first and if you are worried then make a booking with any you fancy. If you prefer to 'wing it' a bit, then perhaps just make bookings for your trip up there and your first night and then make it up as you go :)

Check out the price of joining one of the big clubs (or both) and maybe then see if that is worth it for access to the wide range of CL's (Certified Locations) or CS's (Certified Sites) which, as 2CV says above, are limited to 5 units at a time. Again research these carefully though as many do not come with showers/toilets etc.

Membership of either/both club will also give you discounted access to the relevant club sites although many will still allow access to non members but at a higher price.

Membership is around £40-50 a year so you just need to see whether you will get your moneys worth really, I guess.

In terms of the wilding, I think the authorities in Scotland reversed their decision to stop the permits around Loch Lomond. There was a thread about it I think but I cant find it now...

I haven't visited Scotland in Sept so cannot comment weather-wise.

Scotland in Autumn is great, wonderful colours 👍

September in Scotand is often one of the best times to visit. Dumfries and Galloway are worth visiting. Don't miss " the Devil's porridge" exhibition at Eastriggs not far from Gretna.

Wonderful thank you everyone. We were really starting to worry that we'd end up satin the MH on our driveway, wondering what could have been.

We very much like the idea of wild camping (if you can call it that, the MH is self-contained with shower/toilet, etc).

Regarding weather, I did a quick google on Scotland weather and it mentions it being a bit wet (which we are not bothered about) and lots of midges (which we will just have to be careful of.

Thanks again for the advice, we are looking forward to it.

Reactions: 2cv
Nice one
thumb_up.gif

Don't forget to pop back if you want any hints/tips before your trip...

I'll certainly hang around as there is lots of useful information to be had on here. So please, keep the hints/tips coming!

Midges shouldn’t be a problem in September, that’s one of the reasons I prefer Scotland out of season 👍

I think the weather can be bad (or good) anywhere so why not wait until the 14 day forecasts are available to give you a clue.

Wonderful thank you everyone. We were really starting to worry that we'd end up satin the MH on our driveway, wondering what could have been.

We very much like the idea of wild camping (if you can call it that, the MH is self-contained with shower/toilet, etc).

Regarding weather, I did a quick google on Scotland weather and it mentions it being a bit wet (which we are not bothered about) and lots of midges (which we will just have to be careful of.

Thanks again for the advice, we are looking forward to it.
We will be touring Scotland for all of September and October. Forestry wildcamp sites are still open. As posters above have said, join Motorhome,Caravan Club for £54 and enjoy cheaper basic sites.
We have booked a couple in advance and a couple of Britstops, otherwise winging it.
May we you up there😁🤵👰😁

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back