Fixed double or two singles ?

We used to used the overcab kingsize bed when we had the Hymer, with an adorable 8” memory foam mattress but after Chris had the operation on her foot it rendered her unable to climb the ladder.
Choosing our Autotrail Miami, with twin singles was possibly the best choice for us, because we can both visit the small room, in the middle of the night, without disturbing each other.
Plenty of storage under one of the beds, but sadly some plonker, who considers themselves to be a designer, decided to position the Truma right in the middle of the other bed, reducing the storage space considerably, especially as the blown air pipes running forward and aft are not strong enough to have anything stored on them.
Good Luck with the search! ?

Island double for us, transverse beds are ok until the one on the inside needs to get up in the night, then the trouble starts.
Good points Marie the hymer we’ve got the drop down double,long couch is a size n half ,both benches at table go to a double .but if you join them to the couch in king size there’s no room to get to rear of van from drop bed other than climb over folk heres a few pics

3530BCBE-E60C-464C-A64A-A9C6B1D690D8.jpegD7A8DFCF-E5FF-49D2-9980-D2C0358EC92A.jpegE29B1996-09B3-4A49-9B81-8880E45E754D.jpeg6AAB98BB-1DFF-4BA5-B91B-0AA2DA975050.jpegCA353966-75A9-4EFA-8048-2466E20B0E6A.jpeg04B7CE5F-8A52-4D65-A8AD-CAB7EA00C047.jpeg77E7567C-7F6F-4664-87BA-B7299F82C919.jpeg

Gordon, we’ve had transverse double, island double in A Class’s, and fixed longitudinal double in the PVC. New van is twin singles with infill to make double, I’m sure this last one is the best option for us. Why?

1. Massive width at over 7ft, we loved our previous doubles but always felt 4’6” (std double size) was tight, partly beacause we have a 7ft wide bed at home.
2. Good use of space with wardrobes on each side under the foot of the bed.
3. We love and want a big garage.
4. Easy access for both via wide steps not a ladder.
5. No climbing over each other for night visits.
6. Fixed bed essential on my requirement list.
7. Choice of double or 2 singles changed in a couple of minutes.
8. Used as singles the other person isn’t disturbed when you get in out at all, as along as your quiet.

Ahhhh, a youngster. :)

I had perfect eyesight too, but a colleague said wait until you are 50. Bang on that date, God gave me a birthday present of a pair of glasses.

Age brings us wisdom, memories, and a nightly trip to the loo.

But for that, we'd have opted for the 6m Auto-Trail with the lateral bed. Don't grow old.

We decided on fixed transverse bed, as only mwb van. Luckily don't have to get up often or at all in night, at the moment! I sleep at the side which is open as I get up first in the morning. We looked at many bed layouts when choosing our last van. Drop down was tempting but so often they came down over the cab seats or over seating area. Didn't always want to go to bed at the same time and this often restricted space. Unless in a long vehicle of course, then personally, I would choose one with the option for singles or doubles. It's fun looking, and hopefully getting the right option for your needs!

As has been said already in this thread it really does depend on what each persons priorities are. We want a small van in order to get to places that would be impossible in anything larger. We turn our lounge into a transverse bed every night and have timed the total transformation to a king sized bed with duvet and mattress topper at less than 2 minutes. The bed is very comfortable. For the sake of 4 minutes per day we get a large lounge and king sized bed in a 6m van. We admittedly don’t have a garage, but can’t think what would go in there anyway.

Scooter, scooter heavy jackets, sun bed, sun loungers, cadac, two burner, spare wheel, walking shoes, tools, spare gas regulator, spare water pump, ramps, hook up cable, hose, water can buckets plastic storage containers with stuff in.
Thats just from the top of my head.:)

As I said each to their own, we take very few of those things and what we do fit under the seats/bed.

Scooter, scooter heavy jackets, sun bed, sun loungers, cadac, two burner, spare wheel, walking shoes, tools, spare gas regulator, spare water pump, ramps, hook up cable, hose, water can buckets plastic storage containers with stuff in.
Thats just from the top of my head.:)
Inflatable boat, sandwich toaster, fondue set, paint by numbers set, cuddly toy! Oh no that’s a different game,
Nice to see you to see you nice

Ha ha, being serious
We have a 4 metre extending pole with loppers, green wood saw, soft brush, yard brush. Three bottle jacks, jump leads, tow ropes, snow boots

Plenty of storage under one of the beds, but sadly some plonker, who considers themselves to be a designer, decided to position the Truma right in the middle of the other bed, reducing the storage space considerably, especially as the blown air pipes running forward and aft are not strong enough to have anything stored on them.
Good Luck with the search! ?[/QUOTE]
Rog can you box in over the top of them to help with storage

As has been said already in this thread it really does depend on what each persons priorities are. We want a small van in order to get to places that would be impossible in anything larger. We turn our lounge into a transverse bed every night and have timed the total transformation to a king sized bed with duvet and mattress topper at less than 2 minutes. The bed is very comfortable. For the sake of 4 minutes per day we get a large lounge and king sized bed in a 6m van. We admittedly don’t have a garage, but can’t think what would go in there anyway.
You're faster than me. Well done!

I convert our bench seats into either two singles (or a fore and aft double) whilst Mrs HS is in the loo before bed. I've done that over 14 years of motorhoming.

I prefer a tichy van for the same reasons as you, although on reflection afterwards, I realise I've occasionally parked it in a ridiculously small space. :-(

Strangely enough, my experience has shown me, that it is more than often, the width that limits where a M/H can go, and our 7 metre van with garage, is one of the very narrowest and can get down most lanes.
Although, length can restrict parking in bays, needing grass to overhang

I think you’re about 6 inches bigger than me ? (in width)
I think that it’s handy for what we do to have a small van, where it can park most places a car can for instance. This removes the necessity to carry alternative transport with the need for a big payload or a garage. For many who may spend long periods parked on site without moving their van our priorities would not apply.
The only way to achieve smallness and have a large lounge is for that lounge to double as a bed.

I’m 2.075 wide allegedly.
0A5B40AF-E1BA-4E17-8D54-7AAD13D1ECF1.jpeg

I think that the trafic is narrower than a fiat, as the exis appears to be 2.22m

EFCAA860-486A-4CE0-A065-E5552481E878.png

So just under 6 inches in it.

I agree that in motorhomes at least width is more important than length when it comes to getting places,

Yes, my dimensions include the mirrors. Some have found these to be a little small on the Artisan range and have replaced with ones that stick out more. Personally I find them ok.

Looking for advice ,have you got experience/advice regarding what you feel is the best ie,double island bed or two singles with infill to make a double
Not interested in french bed
All replies greatly appreciated in advance
We have a 7.1m Hobby with fixed singles that we invariably convert to a huge double with an infil cushion, everything is covered by a Duvalay mattress topper. Neither of us could be called petite & we both make trips to the loo at night so this configuration works for us. The only downsides that we’ve found are climbing the ladder when half asleep or p*ss*d & sitting up in bed with the morning tea is a no no. On the plus side it does stop the Labrador from joining us & the garage is a good size.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back