French Speeding ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mobilvetta

Presently in France making our way down to Spain, I got flashed by a speed camera two days ago, I was doing 76kph in a 70kpm zone, my own fault as I hadn't realised that it had dropped from 80kph. I've stayed at my cousin's who is a resident of France and he says if you pay the penalty within 15 days it's not expensive, but the longer you leave it the more expensive it is.

We are away now until April, so wondering how long it takes for the penalty notice to arrive in the UK from France and can you be excused from paying the higher rate if you can show that you was not aware of it before arriving back in the UK, so therefore couldn't pay it within the 15 day period. My own fault it will teach me to concentrate more on my speed on this trip.

Presently in France making our way down to Spain, I got flashed by a speed camera two days ago, I was doing 76kph in a 70kpm zone, my own fault as I hadn't realised that it had dropped from 80kph. I've stayed at my cousin's who is a resident of France and he says if you pay the penalty within 15 days it's not expensive, but the longer you leave it the more expensive it is.

We are away now until April, so wondering how long it takes for the penalty notice to arrive in the UK from France and can you be excused from paying the higher rate if you can show that you was not aware of it before arriving back in the UK, so therefore couldn't pay it within the 15 day period. My own fault it will teach me to concentrate more on my speed on this trip.
Can't you get someone to check your post and if you receive a letter from France open it.
I'm not entirely sure but I've been led to believe that the DVLA aren't communicating with other countries, if this is the case you won't get a fine.
My suggestion is wait and see if anything happens.

We drive through France 2, maybe 3 times a year (too and from the tunnel) and despite my best efforts I do get flashed occasionally. I have never received a ticket so I wouldn't worry about it.

Spain is a different matter. We had one waiting for us when we got home a few years ago. The cheaper early payment period had lapsed as we were on our 6 week trip around Spain. I contacted them as soon as I got home and explained and they said it was fine to just pay the lower charge.

If it were me I'd put it out of your mind and if anything comes of it, contact them when you get home and explain. I'd be surprised if they wouldn't be flexible for you but I'd be even more surprised if you got anything tbh.

We drive through France 2, maybe 3 times a year (too and from the tunnel) and despite my best efforts I do get flashed occasionally. I have never received a ticket so I wouldn't worry about it.

Spain is a different matter. We had one waiting for us when we got home a few years ago. The cheaper early payment period had lapsed as we were on our 6 week trip around Spain. I contacted them as soon as I got home and explained and they said it was fine to just pay the lower charge.

If it were me I'd put it out of your mind and if anything comes of it, contact them when you get home and explain. I'd be surprised if they wouldn't be flexible for you but I'd be even more surprised if you got anything tbh.
Can you please share the route as no one flashes me.😂
Last year on our way back to the tunnel I went through the speed camera too fast and never received a ticket enjoy your holiday.

I did get a speeding ticket, it took about 4 months to hit uk address. But that was before brexit was complete. Allegedly dvla are not processing anymore, but I do know of things that have been received since this was the case.

DVLA not giving details seems to be a myth
Also, if you have Critair - you've already confirmed your address and registration.

Don't worry, nothing you can do, it is what it is, its just part of the cost if it comes through.

I think I read somewhere that having speed warnings on your sat nav was illegal in some countries, is this true or a myth.

never received one from france either also it may be that you just triggered the lower speed limit set on size for lorrie’s & vehs over 3.5 ton normally just ignored when they see it’s a motorhome 🫰

DVLA not giving details seems to be a myth
Also, if you have Critair - you've already confirmed your address and registration.

Don't worry, nothing you can do, it is what it is, its just part of the cost if it comes through.
Yes not to bothered about the €68 fine, if paid within 15 days, like you say it's just part of the holiday expenses, but it would hurt if it was €300 with the uplift for not paying it sooner.

I think I read somewhere that having speed warnings on your sat nav was illegal in some countries, is this true or a myth.
In France, speed warnings are fine (i.e. your satnav warns you if your speed is over the speed limit as defined in the satnav's database). In France, speed camera warnings are illegal. However, some apps/devices get round this restriction by adopting a different form of words.
Worth bearing in mind that the satnav database does not always hold accurate/up-to-date information about speed limits. In France, this is particularly the case with 30km/h limits, which are sometimes not shown as such, sometimes shown when there is no such limit (perhaps removed?), and with 90km/h limits, where the previously national 80km/h (reduced) limit has been locally restored to 90km/h (either département-wide or on specific stretches of road and the satnav database has not caught up. Certainly worth ensuring that you download and install the latest mapping (which incorporates speed limit data) if using an offline system.
https://www.drive-france.com/speed-cameras-in-france/ has some useful info.

i got a German ticket in 2019.
went very quickly to my mailing address in uk (where motorhome was registered).
My mail forwarded to me by email
A bit sneaky as a 3 lane road out of the city. However only a small fine $25 or so paid it.
AND no points on my licence. ONLY 1 in 10 years

My very old TomTom start 25 worked well apart from new roads.
AND ISSOIRE
I tried CoPilot for 2022 and it was good.
Sadly no use for them NOW

The annoying bit is that eu speeders in uk were never liable to fines, dvla could not process them to send on. Something about driver liable as opposed to owner liable I think.

Thats strange as i got a toll ticket outside dublin, so dvla must be helping.
I received a toll ticket a wee while ago from the man in Dub but thought it was for the guy who bought our Burstner as I knew he was heading to Ireland. I then noticed the date which was April and we were over at Christina's mother's 70th birthday bash. Christina was adamant she had paid but on checking she paid for a car not a 9 mtr 4.5 ton motorhome.🤔

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back