French Speeding ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Still no France-UK deal to share details of speeding drivers​

France has data-sharing arrangements with most European countries but swaps with UK ended with Brexit​

3 August 2023 07:00

This means that, for now, UK-registered drivers visiting France will not receive fines for offences such as speeding or going through a red light – unless they are given an on-the-spot fine by a police officer. just found this on the Internet

I've just found this on the Internet

Still no France-UK deal to share details of speeding drivers​

France has data-sharing arrangements with most European countries but swaps with UK ended with Brexit​

3 August 2023 07:00

This means that, for now, UK-registered drivers visiting France will not receive fines for offences such as speeding or going through a red light – unless they are given an on-the-spot fine by a police officer. just found this on the Internet

I've just found this on the Internet
Thanks Lee sounds good, but they already have our details with the crit-air..But I will keep the group posted should I get one through our letterbox.

"Data sharing with other countries. DVLA shares vehicle data to enable other countries to check information on vehicles presented for registration. We also share driving licence data with other countries to allow them to decide the validity and authenticity of driving licences presented for exchange."

That is from page three (bottom) on this document:

That looks to me like the can and do share driver/vehicle details.

Presently in France making our way down to Spain, I got flashed by a speed camera two days ago, I was doing 76kph in a 70kpm zone,
You may hear nothing I was flashed at 88 in a 80 zone but was only fined for 2 km as they allowed 6 km for error

I dont think it right to let any third parties have your info from the dvla except the police or customs.
How come private parking co can get it, maybe i should set one up and download the lot. :mad:

As GMJ states, I am not proposing to ask. I know, to the best of my ability, with help from Tomtom, and Mr Google, the speed limits wherever I travel. My usual Motorhome speeds are generally within the limits imposed so rarely do I get flashed. Even then it has been because I have been mistaken by the camera for an hgv.
If I do get caught, then as a visitor to these countries, I expect to pay the penalty, Seems to be a similar hardship having to display angles morts stickers, a requirement that some find a terrible chore.
Look forward to the next toilet or gassing thread. Perhaps related.

Davy

Hi! Not posted on here for some time, but now I've finally retired (for the third time) I have more time to read posts on these forums. I live in France and drive quite a lot of kilometres each year.

One of the main problems in France that I find is the 80km/h speed limit that some Departments have returned to the original 90km/h limit. Often they won't repeat the limit as much usual but will tell you as you enter the department what limits apply. This means you could be driving across the country on the same road and have to remember which department you're in at any specific time. Having worked in the Ardeche for the last few years while maintaining my home in the Charente I drive across France quite a lot. A quick glance at a map will show there is no obvious direct route. Unfortunately, it sometimes takes even Google maps some time to be updated when a department changes the limit.

I use an app on my phone. It is called Radarbot. I should add at this point that equipment that alerts you to radar guns etc being used IS illegal in France but apps that warn you about the existence of speed cameras are not. I also hasten to add that most of the time I try my best to keep within the set speed limits. Sometimes life is made more difficult when limits are reduced on autoroutes - perhaps a particularly bendy section or for roadworks. The radarbot app is good for me as it gives a permanent display of my speed. This is set as km whilst I am driving in Europe but I can change to MPH in UK. This is useful as my speedo doesn't give any MPH indication. I use it with Google maps and the pro version will display over any other app your using on your phone. I don't think the pro version was more than €5. The app relies on users updating information in the same way that the Waze app does, so of course it is not always up to date.

Another reason to exercise care when driving in France is that there are apparently hundreds (or thousands ?) of unmarked cars looking for speeding vehicles. I just Googled and found that more than half a million offences were recorded by this method in 2021. Maybe I should go back to using Co-pilot and set it to make that annoying beeping sound each time I exceeded the limit by 5kmh!

Presently in France making our way down to Spain, I got flashed by a speed camera two days ago, I was doing 76kph in a 70kpm zone, my own fault as I hadn't realised that it had dropped from 80kph. I've stayed at my cousin's who is a resident of France and he says if you pay the penalty within 15 days it's not expensive, but the longer you leave it the more expensive it is.

We are away now until April, so wondering how long it takes for the penalty notice to arrive in the UK from France and can you be excused from paying the higher rate if you can show that you was not aware of it before arriving back in the UK, so therefore couldn't pay it within the 15 day period. My own fault it will teach me to concentrate more on my speed on this trip.
I was caught twice on autoroute I didn’t realise that when crossing bridges they reduce the speed limits that was in mid march last year I received the notices on my birthday 8th June .

I'm more likely to be stopped for loitering with intent than getting flashed for speeding ... Gendarmes sent me an individually painted watercolour that captured the moment ... :ROFLMAO:

My defence was that I was getting there as quickly as I could ...

Steve

Presently in France making our way down to Spain, I got flashed by a speed camera two days ago, I was doing 76kph in a 70kpm zone, my own fault as I hadn't realised that it had dropped from 80kph. I've stayed at my cousin's who is a resident of France and he says if you pay the penalty within 15 days it's not expensive, but the longer you leave it the more expensive it is.

We are away now until April, so wondering how long it takes for the penalty notice to arrive in the UK from France and can you be excused from paying the higher rate if you can show that you was not aware of it before arriving back in the UK, so therefore couldn't pay it within the 15 day period. My own fault it will teach me to concentrate more on my speed on this trip.
I have been speed camera flashed several times in France, never been sent a fine!

I have been speed camera flashed several times in France, never been sent a fine!
They flash trucks at a lower speed, our vans look like trucks, but tickets are not sent after the pictures are looked at. I spent a couple of hours talking to a nice Gendarme after we witnessed a robbery. The small grey posts by the side of the road are the same as most, the ones like that one on the A16 heading north to Calais, just by the services near Boulogne, flashes anything like a truck. I get a flash almost every time I pass one like that.

Reactions: GMJ
I should add at this point that equipment that alerts you to radar guns etc being used IS illegal in France but apps that warn you about the existence of speed cameras are not.
Anything that warns you of a speed camera or radar is illegal, even an app! Sat Nav gets around it with something like "Dangerous Road Segment". It also can't have that close to the camera, but has to have distance before and after.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back