Fridge freezer knackered! Thetford N175

Someone has told me compressor fridges can be very loud?!?

It’s very much down to the individual. To some the noise is no problem but personally finding silent places to stay is a great advantage of having a motorhome and the noise of a compressor running would ruin that.

It’s very much down to the individual. To some the noise is no problem but personally finding silent places to stay is a great advantage of having a motorhome and the noise of a compressor running would ruin that.
Do you mean a compressor running or a generator?
Guy next to us now has a generator running now, needless to say we are moving, I understand he needs it for some medical issue, so good luck to him but I can't stand it😄

You must have incredibly sensitive hearing....
I can't bear noise when it's supposed to be quiet...
BUT I can't hear a thing from the fridge
I have heard that some can be noisy but I've never heard a sound from mine either.

The Weaco CRX50 I had in the T5 I could tell when that came on early in the morning - but not from any sound - it was the little vibration kick from the compressor transmitted through the furniture to the bed.

I think I am sold on the compressor fridge freezer, now have to find one that fits!!!
👍😶😶😶
This should be of use?

Want a Thetford Fridge? - https://www.jacksonsleisure.com/content/pdf/thetford/Thetford-Refrigerator-Conversion-Overview.pdf
Find the size of your Fridge in the Grey Boxes, look for the type of Fridge you want (12V I am guessing) and find the replacement

Want a Dometic Fridge? - https://www.jacksonsleisure.com/content/pdf/dometic/Fridge_Replacement_Chart_2016.pdf

This is a direct swap for your N175 - https://www.jacksonsleisure.com/fri...ressor-fridge-freezer-for-campers-motorhomes/ - and not that badly priced at £1,250
(that is likely to be the model I would get if replacing my N180 if I have the extra 8mm of depth!) - the "correct" replacement for the N180 and would also suit your N175 'hole' is this - https://www.jacksonsleisure.com/fri...ressor-fridge-freezer-for-campers-motorhomes/ at £1,175

Note: if you switch to a 12V Compressor you will need to redo some cabling. Change the 12V source from the Starter Battery to the Leisure Battery and quite possibly get some nice thick cable (around 6mm2) to deal with the compessor in-rush surge (unless the fridge you chose has a soft-start?)

Last edited:
Thanks Wildebus, I will give it a try👍😄
Maybe you should buy a replacement 3-Way instead at a reduced price?

(I could sell you my N180 - in perfect working order - at half the price of a T2175 Replacement Compressor Fridge!)

Mine does make some noise, it’s a low hum when I hear it but I don’t think it makes any more noise than 3 ways I have had in the past. These days though my hearing isn’t as good but also I don’t mind noise to a degree, I find the tick of my diesel heater pump soothing like the old clocks. Do you know anyone with the sort of fridge you are thinking of, maybe go and have a listen?

Mine does make some noise, it’s a low hum when I hear it but I don’t think it makes any more noise than 3 ways I have had in the past. These days though my hearing isn’t as good but also I don’t mind noise to a degree, I find the tick of my diesel heater pump soothing like the old clocks. Do you know anyone with the sort of fridge you are thinking of, maybe go and have a listen?
Thank for reply, no I know no one with one, but you are right our old absorbsion fridge makes a low hum, can't imagine it's much worse!
The T2175 has a night mode which quietens it even more

Thank for reply, no I know no one with one, but you are right our old absorbsion fridge makes a low hum, can't imagine it's much worse!
The T2175 has a night mode which quietens it even more
I was looking at the info for the Thetford Compressor Fridges and noticed the Power rating for the T2175 was 600Wh/24 Hours and the T2160 was 580Wh/24Hours - that is not that low at 211KW/Year (the domestic 240V Fridge I fitted in the Camper was rated at 84KW/Year,or 230Wh/24 Hours - and I confirmed that was the case in actual use with my own checks).

At 600Wh/Day or 580Wh/Day, I am no longer convinced it is the right option for full-timing unless you have a nice big battery bank and tend to move around every other day or so enough to get a charge. Summer would be fine with the Solar but Winter is another matter entirely.

I was looking at the info for the Thetford Compressor Fridges and noticed the Power rating for the T2175 was 600Wh/24 Hours and the T2160 was 580Wh/24Hours - that is not that low at 211KW/Year (the domestic 240V Fridge I fitted in the Camper was rated at 84KW/Year,or 230Wh/24 Hours - and I confirmed that was the case in actual use with my own checks).

At 600Wh/Day or 580Wh/Day, I am no longer convinced it is the right option for full-timing unless you have a nice big battery bank and tend to move around every other day or so enough to get a charge. Summer would be fine with the Solar but Winter is another matter entirely.
Wildebus thank you so much for firstly posting the links and doing some homework for us.
We have 2 X 110 ah leisure's, and 300 w of solar!
I think the decision has been taken out of our hands and we may have to go for the N4175 as the T2175 is not available at Jackson's(£1250) and everywhere else it's over 1800 quid!!
Also
I think we met you a few weeks ago, in Sheppy?

wouldn't have been me :)

I am very tempted by the T2160 Compressor Fridge myself after looking at the specs and the price Jacksons have them at (way better than anyone else).
My 3-way N180 works just fine, so no real reason to change it but just prefer the more modern Electric only options (and do have the battery power for it as well in my own case), but would be wary for over-winter use.

BUT don't forget for most stuff actual fridge useage is less due to lower ambient temps....

In our transit where the Waeco cool box was in the rear compartment..
It didn't have to work very hard at all...
And I reckon IF you're swapping a 3 way in a motorhome type installation....
The existing gas drop outs/condenser vents should mean the same applies.

BUT don't forget for most stuff actual fridge useage is less due to lower ambient temps....

In our transit where the Waeco cool box was in the rear compartment..
It didn't have to work very hard at all...
And I reckon IF you're swapping a 3 way in a motorhome type installation....
The existing gas drop outs/condenser vents should mean the same applies.
I am basing my numbers on my measured values matching the actual numbers of the domestic one (which had some assisted cooling added).
Best to assume worst case I reckon - at least that way you are more likely to happy than disappointed :)

Waeco state 48 amps for my 110ltr, 2 amps per hour and I would say that’s about right. I know a lot of folks turn them off at night, I even know people who turn off their 3 way as they don’t feel safe with any gas left on. Mine is on 24/7 unless it’s getting a defrost and clean. We have come to an understanding, it gives me ice cream at any temperature and I do the same back with power :)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back