Fridge settings.

sydnsue

I have a 3 year old Domestic fridge and I keep a fridge thermometer inside on a middle shelf. To keep the fridge at around 4 degrees, I have to use the maximum setting. I'm sure this is using a lot of gas as it seems to be on all the time i.e. the vents are always hot. The fridge is usually well filled. So 2 questions:
Does everyone else have their fridge set to maximum all the time, and,
Has anyone used the fans that can be installed behind the fridge to aid air cooling circulation that many use in hotter climes and do they work?

I've had to turn the fridge up full but have been experiencing 35 to 27 deg temperatures think the lowest has been 19 during the early hours.

A fridge needs internal air flow to be efficient as well as being cooled.

I have used external fans in the top vent a few times and feel the do work, but I try to park with the fridge side in the shade this is why they are usually but not always on the side with the awning on.

PC fans are just as good if not better than the kits you can buy, and should pull air out at the top vent.

1721026529359.jpeg

Fitted

1721026602564.jpeg

Have you checked that the flue is clean and the gas jet is clear. I think it is either that or there is not the correct air gap between the back of the fridge and bodywork.

Mine is a new thetford fridge used twice now the highest setting made the ice box start freezing in lumps so
The fridge now runs at 3/4 now and the fridge temp gauge is bang on with the green part showing minus 10 approx the freezer shows. Minus 19
We’re happy with that
Same on gas and mains electric. Never tried on 12 volts.

We can only use the mains for the fridge when we have the awning fitted .
When not fitted we can use the gas.

I may fit and extractor system later .but at the mo it works fine .

We were unable to use the fridge before as it has to be level before it would work .
but now we have a self level system and every thing is better .

A fridge needs internal air flow to be efficient as well as being cooled.

I have used external fans in the top vent a few times and feel the do work, but I try to park with the fridge side in the shade this is why they are usually but not always on the side with the awning on.

PC fans are just as good if not better than the kits you can buy, and should pull air out at the top vent.

View attachment 73602

Fitted

View attachment 73603
Are these just cable tied together or did you make a frame for them

Pudsey Bear: what size fans are they?

Are these just cable tied together or did you make a frame for them
look at the first pic and you can see they're tied to a piece of 3 or 5mm ply a bit longer than the fans and screwed though that into the wood in the vent frame, this is on my self build, I can't find any better pictures, the fans are 12v PC, brushless and 100mm.

I bought 3. Of these a year ago during the shut down thing I was going to do it then but other things got done instead.
They are still in the shed somewhere .
So here we go. Another searching job that I am sure I will get distracted with by finding something else.

IMG_0409.jpeg

l fitted two old computer fans with a switch i simply glued the fan bodies to the back of the vent picked up a feed from the spotlights

One would also need a thermistor to turn them on when the going gets hot, and off when its cool.

I had a temp gauge in the fridge with the display outside and a hi lo alarm so a rocker switch was all I needed.

I'm too forgetful to remember that if it's hot, I have wired the fans to a switch, or if it's cold I need to turn the switch off. A cheap NTC from a gas boiler should auto regulate it.
(NTC is the common slang for Negative Temperature Coefficient, meaning that contrarily to normal laws of physics, the device reduces its resistance as the temperature rises)

Hence why I got a display with an alarm, I like to keep things as basic as possible and easy to replace or work around if things do go kaput.

This is the fridge thermometer I have in the fridge .
As far as finding the pc cooling fans not got as far as finding them yet .

I may have to turn the fridge down another setting to get the fridge temp down ..

IMG_0410.jpeg

Choices, choices.

Or DIY with 2/3 of these, I had mine wired so I could have two or three running.

temp display with alarm

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back