Fridge settings.

Is there not a danger that the more you turn the contol up the more heat is generated and you reach a point where it cannot extract that heat anymore and the end result is the temperature in the fridge rises. Using fans to draw more air thru would eleviate the situation and allow the fridge to cool further.
In my case with a Dometic fridge freezer RM5???I think! I run it at around 3 oclock 11 o'clock being full on so about 1/4 power and in all temperatures it is fine apart from the freezer icing up after a few weeks continous operation. I did run it nearly flat out once when we first got it and realised the burner was on continuously and not really cooling very well.
Even at 3 oclock items in the main compartment freeze if they are touching the fins at the rear, so I wonder if yours is turned up too much and maybe try turning it down and see what happens?

I fitted a compressor fridge 11 years ago and not had any probs with it unlike All theses 3 way fridge they are a pain in the arse they carnt cool the fridge enough when it gets really warm ie having to fit extra fans and making sure it level or it won't work .

In the UK it's rarely a problem, fans help of course, but we don't even carry levellers and never had a fridge not work when not level not even on our hilly drive.

In the UK it's rarely a problem, fans help of course, but we don't even carry levellers and never had a fridge not work when not level not even on our hilly drive.
Kev the amount of folks on our forum that have trouble with there 3 way fridges . Some one is all ways saying its not work on gas or not working on main 12v eats the battery I would not have one given to me .

Mines a new well not yet used thetford N480E. And it does not work unless level. Or so I have been told near on level.

The "proper" fan kits are generally better than the home-brewed ones with computer fans as they switch on and off automatically and vary the speed depending on the level of cooling needed.

Having said that, the PC fan option is a fair bit cheaper and if you combine with a temp controller you can have it come on and off automatically, so very nearly as good.
I use these boards to control fans - https://amzn.to/4bMABlk
I have one fitted in my external electrics locker which has the Multiplus in so gets quite warm. Fan comes on as needed and off again after doing its job. Perfect.
1721248817769.png

Used the same controller for a Members fridge and also incorporated a 3-way switch so he could force the fans on or disable them as well as having them auto-controlled.

Kev the amount of folks on our forum that have trouble with there 3 way fridges . Some one is all ways saying its not work on gas or not working on main 12v eats the battery I would not have one given to me .
Oh yes, I'm not saying we've never had problems either just none to do with level, I've had to replace the ignition packs twice, the selector switch I've had to strip and clean three times including this van,

1721287509305.png
1721287548644.jpeg

and in bits, a points file makes like new as that is basically all it is.

1721287590451.jpeg

and the thermocouple 4 times and the burner jet once, not counting running a small nut on a wire up and down the chimney a few times

Oh yes, I'm not saying we've never had problems either just none to do with level, I've had to replace the ignition packs twice, the selector switch I've had to strip and clean three times including this van,

View attachment 73651
View attachment 73652

and in bits, a points file makes like new as that is basically all it is.

View attachment 73653

and the thermocouple 4 times and the burner jet once, not counting running a small nut on a wire up and down the chimney a few times
Shit comes to mind Kev lolol

No, that's like the ultra reliable 40 year old broom that still works properly. It has had 20 new heads and six new handles.

The "doesn't work unless level" experience varies, and I wouldn't be surprised if it depends on how you run it and how well the fridge was installed?
If you think about it, the relationship between the burner flame and the bit it heats depends very much on the angle of the fridge. The flame will always want to go straight up and if the burner unit is tilted due to fridge at an angle, then you won't get the flame hitting the right bit properly but to the side/back/front.
If the fridge is running off electric then no burner involved and so angle should be no issue I would think?

Dunno, but as I run a Compressor fridge, I have no 'is it level?' issues for that :D

Shit comes to mind Kev lolol
One of the joys of buying and selling badly looked after vans, but the faults made them cheap enough for us to buy them and fortunately, I was up to fixing them sufficient to make a few bob when I sold them on a few months of use later.

The "doesn't work unless level" experience varies, and I wouldn't be surprised if it depends on how you run it and how well the fridge was installed?
If you think about it, the relationship between the burner flame and the bit it heats depends very much on the angle of the fridge. The flame will always want to go straight up and if the burner unit is tilted due to fridge at an angle, then you won't get the flame hitting the right bit properly but to the side/back/front.
If the fridge is running off electric then no burner involved and so angle should be no issue I would think?

Dunno, but as I run a Compressor fridge, I have no 'is it level?' issues for that :D
I think that so long as the flame is good and the coil is being heated it will cool the fridge, as I said air flow internally also makes a difference, leave a gap between the food.

I think that so long as the flame is good and the coil is being heated it will cool the fridge, as I said air flow internally also makes a difference, leave a gap between the food.
Exactly .... "the coil is being heated" :)
It is also only Absorption fridges that need internal fans INSIDE the fridge and such careful positioning.

There is a very easy fix though ... two words... first starts with a C and ends with a R ;)

Assuming you meant Dometic not Domestic (autoincorrect has a lot to answer for) a properly installed fridge should have no problems. Mine is over 25 years old. Right now it is at 2.5 degrees.

In my experience air movement inside the body of the fridge is vital.

Put too much stuff in and the air can't circulate. I fitted a small (60mm) computer fan to the edge of the top shelf.

It runs on the same power circuit as the three vent fans, which are on a speed controller but they are (now) Arctic brand silent fans so are very quiet at full speed anyway. I'd just fit a switch if I did it again.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back