Gas-It/Gaslow fitter

Gosh, lighten up H! People on here kindly share their personal stories or what they've seen/heard... they don't expect to have to pass a strict exam afterwards! :ROFLMAO:
I asked a question. His reply did not answer that question. I asked again. Still no reply. Fair enough. He doesn't have to answer, or even reply at all.

I agree with no 39 and 40 It seems ridiculous as to how you are expected to reply. Makes me switch off reading threads sometimes. Or trotter will end up packing and disappearing for 3 months or so Oh he already does that. Brian.

I agree with no 39 and 40 It seems ridiculous as to how you are expected to reply. Makes me switch off reading threads sometimes. Or trotter will end up packing and disappearing for 3 months or so Oh he already does that. Brian.
And me 😀😀
Actually I'd did answer inh question with the first word of my original post with 'Yes'

Unfortunately in my long but nit too long answer I undermined that answer because whilst I might have to at some time I haven't been asked yet

However that doesn't detract from my insurer requiring gas systems to be professionally installed or maintained.
I'm not inclined to search out and cut & paste the exact wording - just believe me its there!
It's worth reading your policy if you've made alterations.

Last edited:
Back to original question - try Avon Autogas.
Very good prices on equipment if self installing but the do fit as well.

Are your people gas safe registered Nick?

No we are not fella, but 2 of the 3 techs in our workshops were under former employment.
Like I said in the previous post, Gaslow installations don't require you to be Gas-Safe registered as it's pre-regulator, but we do stand by our testing and filling of Gas.
We do get asked a lot about installing BBQ points, which we can't do as that is post-reg which comes under the Gas-Safe banner (plus we are way to busy with the Alarms/Tracking/Off-Grid Electrical work to even consider such work).

No we are not fella, but 2 of the 3 techs in our workshops were under former employment.
Like I said in the previous post, Gaslow installations don't require you to be Gas-Safe registered as it's pre-regulator, but we do stand by our testing and filling of Gas.
We do get asked a lot about installing BBQ points, which we can't do as that is post-reg which comes under the Gas-Safe banner (plus we are way to busy with the Alarms/Tracking/Off-Grid Electrical work to even consider such work).
That's why I got a full check on my gas system after installing BBQ point and Gasit bottle.
The BBQ point was a simple job with a short length of pipe, one screw in union and 2 compression fittings.
Whilst I was confident ability to do the job and the fact that private motorhomes don't fall within the regulations I was mindful of my insurance company's requirements with regard to professional installation.
So I found a local NCC registered technician to come round and give my whole system the complete once over.
I'm confident that the certificate I was given is worth more than just the price of the paper it was written on.
For ones own piece of mind I'd recommend having a check done periodically - my van was 14 years old when I had it done and both the heater and fridge flue gases were fine.
I bought it a couple of years before from a dealer but I don't think they checked it - certainly didn't get a certificate.
Personally I think dealers ought to ensure that caravans and motorhomes are safe before they sell them. It wouldn't cost them much to do the test.
Thinking about it now I should have had one when I first bought it so if there was a problem I could have called on their warranty to fix it.

Must say I was surprised when I first got a motorhome to discover there was no requirement for gas and electric checks @Markd . I expected it to be similar to what’s required on boats, thinking more narrow boats and the changes after deaths.

I have sat the NCC course......................................................... most of it is aimed at Static Caravans and not the Motorhome Caravan market per-say.
The official Gas-Safe course is far more in depth in terms of gas, but again no exacts when it comes to our industry (my farther is a retired Plumbing/Heating engineer, so a wealth of knowledge when it comes to these things).
For us it's the £700 per person per year to put them through Gas-Safe, which is really aimed out the plumbing industry. If we were doing underslug tanks or building motorhomes/hab servicing etc, then there is no question we would sit the course. The NCC course again is not so directed to motorhomes, more static homes and again the annual fees are around the same. As we do mainly security/electrical work (not boiler servicing/BBQ points/internal pipework post regulator etc), we made the decision not to go through the course but to follow the guidelines set plus go that extra mile in a full test and gas fill.

Must say I was surprised when I first got a motorhome to discover there was no requirement for gas and electric checks @Markd . I expected it to be similar to what’s required on boats, thinking more narrow boats and the changes after deaths.
Perhaps because at least in 'vans leaking gas can usually get away?

Perhaps because at least in 'vans leaking gas can usually get away?
Yes that’s probably the reason but when I first got my van I knew nothing at all about them or how they worked. Was quite worried for the first six months thinking I just wasn’t finding the requirements lol

the gas it system. does look like a good saving on the gasView attachment 55301lo but there is also the alugas & safefill systems to check out , found fitting it diy quite simple but do have a plumbing background
I installed an Alugas system in my previous van and have just installed same system in my new van. No problem at all, just a hole in the side skirt and bottom of the gas locker and some pipework, just make sure you get the high pressure side good and tight. I did bond a piece of 1.6 mm thick Al sheet behind the skirt to strengthen it up a bit. Alugas 2000 are fantastic and the cylinders are very light.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back