Gas leak

Tezza33

Whilst at Rutland I was showing Trotter under my van where the bulk gas tank is, he crouched down to look and said he could smell gas, well I knew I had a gas leak (I test regularly) but I couldn't find it, I have no sense of smell and neither has Maggy so this was the first time somebody could smell it, armed with this today I checked every joint on the tank/filter/regulator and pipe work on that side of the van but nothing so I checked the next joint in the pipework which is a T piece in the old gas locker, I have checked this a few times over the last Month but nothing was showing but it was obviously getting worse, this time I had the tell-tale bubbles from the leak detector spray, this is what I found when I removed it

the nut had split, this probably started very small but gradually got bigger, I checked the pressure left in the system after turning the gas off and it stayed in the green for 45mins at which point I thought it was the time for a celebratory drink:cool:

thanks for your nose Del:D

Last edited:
Glad that you found the cause, I guess that it had been overtightened?
That is probably the cause but if it was then it was overtightened by Hymer gas fitters over 18 years ago, it is the second time I have found a split nut and both times original fittings

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back