Gas leak

Tezza33

I have posted on another thread about the gas leak which I am struggling to find, 36ltrs gone in three days so even Charlie wouldn't have used that much.
By turning off the isolating valves and checking for a pressure drop I found no leaks, turning on the valve to the water heater there wasn't a drop in pressure, turned on the hob valve and still no drop in pressure even after a few hours, closed them and opened the fridge valve, preesure slowly dropped over 8 minutes so the problem seems to be from the isolating valve to the fridge itself, I have check all the joints including the ones to the gas valve/thermostat, still cannot find the leak, I wish I had hair then I could pull it out:mad:

I have to remove the hob to get to the top of the fridge and remove the rear bumper to gain access to the jet, I do have a good flame although48337 I don't think that would burn 12ltrs a day

You're absobloodylutely sure there's no pipe damage from
isolating valve to the actual last connection to the fridge itself?
No sneaky leaky joint bunged in to get round a tight bend for
instance? No, well that's me buggered then.

You're absobloodylutely sure there's no pipe damage from
isolating valve to the actual last connection to the fridge itself?
No sneaky leaky joint bunged in to get round a tight bend for
instance? No, well that's me buggered then.
No I can see the pipe from the isolating valve to the fridge, there is a 90deg joint to get round a tight bend but I have checked and double checked it, might try it with a match instead of the spray ?

Our last house had lpg from 2 big cylinders. One day I could smell some gas in the basement. The previous owner had done all the work himself. I bought a small portable LPG detect which was sensitive enough to identify the actual compression joint that needed tightening up. Something like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Portable-C...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B078LR1LX1

(there isn't a branch off the feed to the fridge? Just a thought)

No I can see the pipe from the isolating valve to the fridge, there is a 90deg joint to get round a tight bend but I have checked and double checked it, might try it with a match instead of the spray ?

No not a match, you might damage the pipe! That could cost you money.
Your skin grafts will be free on the NHS so that's OK.!

My money would be on the union on the outlet from the isolating valve,
more spray. What I've done in the past is get a tyre valve and fit it in a
suitable place in the gas supply system you may need a bit of sealant to seal
it plus a hose clipand a bit of DIY. Then I bike pumped it carefully to a a few pounds until I
could hear the leak as well as see the bubbles blowing a tune.
I should say the few pounds pressure (say 1 Bar) of the air will be at much higher pressure than
the low gas pressure 30mBar or so, hence will make the leak more obvious.

Last edited by a moderator:
Our last house had lpg from 2 big cylinders. One day I could smell some gas in the basement. The previous owner had done all the work himself. I bought a small portable LPG detect which was sensitive enough to identify the actual compression joint that needed tightening up. Something like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Portable-C...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B078LR1LX1

(there isn't a branch off the feed to the fridge? Just a thought)
I ordered one similar earlier today, it will be here tomorrow so it will help, neither of us has any sense of smell so we cannot sniff it ourselves :(

I have one, bought ex. the now defunct Maplins. Supposed to be supersensitive, and probably is,
but with wafting ambient air dispersing tiny amounts of gas I'm not as convinced as I am with
the car shampoo water and bubble approach. With the additional aforementioned pressurised air method
as a last resort. My electric sniffer will only work properly with the batteries at full charge or near.

Arrived at Druridge Bay on Saturday, called at a forecourt and filled up with gas on the way, fortunately I put a bottle and regulator in the car in case I couldn't fix the fault, there is a gas fitting coming out of the service valve with a male thread on each end, the part that goes into the valve was leaking so I nipped it up a little, it sheared off but on examination there was a clean break approximately half way around and the rest was dirty which indicated that it had fractured earlier and when I tweaked it it was enough to shear it, we spent the weekend with the gas bottle on the BBQ take off point so it didn't spoil anything, God was great, he showered us with rain constantly so we didn't miss the fact that without the take off point we could not BBQ ???????

It is like this but it has a tapered male at each end so the bit in blue is not there, the thread screws into the valve
Inkedgas fitting_LI.jpg

I tried phoning Gas It but they are closed for their Summer Holidays so I tried one of their Agents in Leicestershire, there was no answer so I thought I would go over, that was my first mistake, what I thought was a decent caravan service and sales depot was a barn with a muddy car park, I was met with the most disagreeable person I have ever seen, he asked to see my gas safe certificate and said without one he would not sell me any spares, I pointed out that Gas It were quite willing to sell me a complete kit for me to fit, I then made mistake number two, I told him that to work on the gas on my van I did not need to be gas safe registered, it was not for hire, it was not a static etc., he then got into a rant and started pointing out all his certificates on the wall saying "this is for this etc." and rattling off lots of modules he had done.
My third mistake was asking which certificate was for being the biggest **** in Leicestershire, as you probably gathered I did not get the part I needed ???

Think I’ve met that blokes brother. Would loved to have been a fly on the wall there.
To watch Tezza in full flow would have been a treat.

Was this the same leak we noticed at Rutland?

hi terry i used the main gaslo warehouse at loughborough a couple of years back it’s pavilion way on the castle estate behind B&Q , the bloke was helpful but not very knowledgeable ie show him the bit he might find it but won’t know what it’s for lol

Was this the same leak we noticed at Rutland?
The leak you noticed Del ☺, I have no sense of smell but thanks to your nose I tested for leaks and found one on the T piece in the old gas locker, a compression nut had split,
I probably had this leak for some time but when I tested for a pressure drop on the gaslow gauge it would not have detected this because it was between the tank and the regulator and gas does not flow backwards through a regulator, I think this was the leak you noticed because you said it was in the tank area, I think this pipe fractured because I fitted a filter and a new regulator and the extra weight must have been flexing the pipe, it is the only explanation I can think of, I will be fitting a bracket on the regulator to support the weight now

Last edited:
Clever bu@@er

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back