Getting ready for VW Volksfling!

wildebus

The late May Bank Holiday weekend is always Volksfling weekend at Biggar for me :D One week early this year, so just getting everything ready for this coming Friday!
Not going to hitch up the trailer this time as too much hassle. And with the good weather recently, the ground will be nice and firm so don't need to worry about getting bogged down (last year the weather was so bag I actually just packed up my gazebo early and went home due to the driving rain and wind, but fingers crossed will manage the whole weekend from Friday to Sunday afternoon this year!)

Well, must dash - time to go shopping and get food for the al-fresco cooking. Already got lots of firewood for the frontier stove. Won't bother with the Safari Room this year and just have the awning out like at this event at Kelso.

IMG_20180825_181926
by David, on Flickr

Will post some photos later in the week when my pitch is sorted and the Gazebo is all erected :)

Was going to leave for Volksfling this afternoon but the weather is a bit wild and windy, so looks like a Saturday Morning departure is on the cards instead.
Got all the BBQ food and Beers sorted out though, so that is one thing ticked off the list :)

Oh dear. With weather like that, I wouldn't bother at all, just stay at home :)

This Scottish windy weather is a bit much! Had my gazebo for around 8 years now and has proved pretty resiliant pitched up in open fields.
But the weather this weekend (gusting at nearly 40MPH so far) has resulted in 3 of the 4 tie-down straps just breaking :oops: Not sure what the spec of the straps are, but I am guessing most of the problem is they have just aged (I found if I pull REALLY hard I can actually snap the strap as well). Maybe getting wet and drying out repeatedly has done them in? They have been fine every year to date though.
Fitted some new straps now in all 4 corners plus the two heavy-duty straps from the fiamma as well as extra precaution.

Just raised the gazebo back up after dropping it down due to the weather. some fair sizes holes made in the roof (luckily I kept the old roof when I bought a new one a couple of years ago and decided to fit the old - now spare - one this time! useful foresight!!) and some tears in the side walls where the strain couldn't be withheld (not got spare walls though :( ).

Well, I guess it is better then what happened a few years ago when I made a beach shelter in the Garden from an old steel gazebo and brushwood for the roof - Storm Desmond totally destroyed that structure (and a few years before that, the next door neighbour had his greenhouse in the back graden take off, fly over the garage roof and land on his driveway. Do you get the impression this is a windy area? ;) )

Now it’s over I had a virtually grand weekend especially the cooking with Trevor and Jayne (had the dish for dinner last night) and the beer tasting on Saturday.

Now it’s over I had a virtually grand weekend especially the cooking with Trevor and Jayne (had the dish for dinner last night) and the beer tasting on Saturday.
This is the first year I actually got to see more than a couple of events as usually in my Gaezebo all day and knackered by the end :)
I used to love watching the cardboard camper race around the middle. And I didn't miss the absense of "Sweet Home Alabama" for the 5th time each night :D

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back