Grey Tanks

wildebus

Grey Tanks

I am wanting to fit an external grey water tank to my LT LWB Camper.
I think the ideal location may well be at the redundant spare wheel carrier shown in the attached photo and using that cradle already in place.

LT Carrier Pic.jpg

Any ideas where I could get an economically priced tank to suit? (I know people like CAK tanks can make any size you want, but looking for a cheap solution for at least the next year.
I was wondering about just using a simple 25L water carrier and securing that to a plywood board that secures to the carrier bottom and fitting a drain tap at the bottom of the tank - anyone done that? (the sink waste will run to the right of the step just by the end of the slding door)

Banned member;n1385 said:

I browsed around eBay but didn't see these more basic square ones. Cheers, I will have a look further at those (although they still seem quite expensive compared to a basic water carrier). Given me a better starting point then I found previous :)
(this looks like a potential option as seems to have good fittings in place ... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fresh-Wa...r-Caravan-Motorhome-Boat-Camper/272818996293?)

Hi Can I suggest you measure the space then look at the tanks CAK already make I'm sure there will be one you can use.
I have used them in the past for tanks and fittings excellent company.

Also bear in mind that the Waste tank is often installed with the. Big access cap on the bottom of the tank.

Forget to mention the bigger the better you'll be surprised how much you use !!!!!

25L would be sufficient for my current needs. If I went custom I would go larger (my last van I was using an 11L container per weekend trip).
If I use the wheel carrier it is pretty slimline. CAK make a tank especially for the Mk 1 Sprinter - their nominally "fresh water" tank would be quite good but more than I want to pay right now

I’ve got a cak tank on my Movano at the moment. I’ve had a real job getting it to fill as the fill pipes are right at top. Not enough drop...

fit an external grey water tank to my LT LWB Camper.

The arrangement of outlet fittings will add depth to the assembly.
Make sure it doesn't impede your ground clearance.
Mine does and I am having to re plumb as I cant get the vehicle on my ramp to raise it in the air to get underneath.
It all looks ok but doesn't pair up with the ramp.

I’m not. Brownhills fan but I was in their Newark shop last week. They had some reasonable priced containers up to 40litres, I checked and they were cheaper than eBay.

What about something that is shaped like a spare wheel that would fit in existing cradle. It could be lowered to deep clean just like the spare. The size would probably be fine for the quantity your looking for. Just thinking outside the box or cradle.
Some cars had their lpg tanks fitted in the spare wheel well in the boot.

Cheers,
Alan

Last edited:
wildebus;n1373 said:
I am wanting to fit an external grey water tank to my LT LWB Camper.
I think the ideal location may well be at the redundant spare wheel carrier shown in the attached photo and using that cradle already in place.

Any ideas where I could get an economically priced tank to suit? (I know people like CAK tanks can make any size you want, but looking for a cheap solution for at least the next year.
I was wondering about just using a simple 25L water carrier and securing that to a plywood board that secures to the carrier bottom and fitting a drain tap at the bottom of the tank - anyone done that? (the sink waste will run to the right of the step just by the end of the slding door)

If you can adapt an LPG (spare wheel) tank I am sure I can find you an old one for free.

Les Haro;n13921 said:
If you can adapt an LPG (spare wheel) tank I am sure I can find you an old one for free.
That is a very kind offer, thanks.
However I had a crawl around underneath last week and found I can get a standard 25L water container underneath and supported by the spare wheel holder IF I had around 1" more depth - and the only thing that is fouling with my test container is an upward kink on the holder part that drops down - I could just reshape the bit that fouls very easily.
So think I will use a standard container, protected from underneath by some thin ply.
I need to check again the exact sizes, but a couple of months ago I was looking at water containers at Go Outdoors and they came with screw-on taps as well, so could be a dead handy as well as simple and pretty cheap at just £15 or so.

wildebus;n14441 said:
That is a very kind offer, thanks.
However I had a crawl around underneath last week and found I can get a standard 25L water container underneath and supported by the spare wheel holder IF I had around 1" more depth - and the only thing that is fouling with my test container is an upward kink on the holder part that drops down - I could just reshape the bit that fouls very easily.
So think I will use a standard container, protected from underneath by some thin ply.
I need to check again the exact sizes, but a couple of months ago I was looking at water containers at Go Outdoors and they came with screw-on taps as well, so could be a dead handy as well as simple and pretty cheap at just £15 or so.

Just a thought reading your post, a piece of flat fibreglass sheet under your tank will last much longer than ply, won't need treating, be lighter and thinner for you in your attempts to fit the tank - maybe?

teejay;n14442 said:
Just a thought reading your post, a piece of flat fibreglass sheet under your tank will last much longer than ply, won't need treating, be lighter and thinner for you in your attempts to fit the tank - maybe?
that might be an idea.
I am not sure where I first saw it, but seen quite a few pictures of self-builds where the installer sat the under-chassis tanks in ply to protect them from road debris getting kicked up so seemed like a really good idea. I was thinking of using just a basic 3 or 6mm sheet offcut from some I have kicking around but it could get very sodden very quickly so my initial cost-saving might end up wasting more time if I have to replace within a few months.

I'd give Shaun at Barratt tanks a ring, www.tank.me he did my self build fresh and waste to fit, he can measure up and do bespoke, but he'l have done a van like yours before no doubt and have it all written down. dunno where you are but he is the go to man for all self builders.

Sounds like Shawn is the man.
he is not that local to me, but then no one is!

I am going to go for a basic 20-25L container with an added drain tap, strapped on the carrier and see how I go from there. If I decide later to go more custom/bespoke, I'll contact shawn for advice and costs.
Thanks for the input, advice and input. Much appreciated.

Do you not have a shower? 20-25ltrs won't last long at all, also means if you want to wild camp, you're going to need to find water more often.

What do you mean by strapped on the carrier, that sounds like you mean on the back of the van to me, if so you need to have a black plastic container or you will get algae problem very quickly, it will also freeze rapidly as the plastic tends to be quite thin.

Just sent you a PM wildebus

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back