Grey Tanks

Pudsey Bear;n16886 said:
Do you not have a shower? 20-25ltrs won't last long at all, also means if you want to wild camp, you're going to need to find water more often.

What do you mean by strapped on the carrier, that sounds like you mean on the back of the van to me, if so you need to have a black plastic container or you will get algae problem very quickly, it will also freeze rapidly as the plastic tends to be quite thin.

Just sent you a PM wildebus

Hi. Carrier means under-chassis spare wheel carrier (see picture in first post). This is for grey water, not fresh, as well. I will be using internally stored 25L Water carriers for fresh (probably a pair) as I find these nice and easy to take out to refill.
shower wise ... will have a shower/WC enclosure probably, but showering means a fair amount of HOT water, so in practice will be used very intermittently (if at all) and without permanent water plumbing (except waste)

Les Haro;n13921 said:
If you can adapt an LPG (spare wheel) tank I am sure I can find you an old one for free.

I have decided to install a Planar Diesel Heater and think I will run it from a seperate tank using Kerosene/Heating Oil. And thinking maybe a LPG Spare Wheel shaped tank, fitted using the Spare Wheel holder might be ideal?
It sounds like a logical solution - would it work?

The toroidal (doughnut) LPG tanks fitted to cars (that fit in the spare wheel bay) are liquid takeoff tanks. A motorhome tank (or bottle) is a gas takeoff vessel. The round ones can be modified but I would get an expert to do that if I were you.

maingate;n29325 said:
The toroidal (doughnut) LPG tanks fitted to cars (that fit in the spare wheel bay) are liquid takeoff tanks. A motorhome tank (or bottle) is a gas takeoff vessel. The round ones can be modified but I would get an expert to do that if I were you.
The heater is a liquid fueled heater, so the LPG tank should be good then? And no need to be pressurised either.

maingate;n29368 said:
I know nuffink about these heaters so cannot help. Sorry.

It was really a question about is a tank that was used to store liquid petroleum gas suitable for storing an alternative liquid fuel - in this case Kerosene (which is what Heating Oil is described on my receipts).
I get your point about Gas being diferent to Liquid in storage and draw-off, and I am thinking a Liquid Fueled Heater Drawoff (such as a Diesel/Kerosene Heater) would be ok from an LPG Engine Fuel tank (especially as a Diesel tank can be as simple as a jug!)

The main difference I think would be the need for a breather if using an old lpg tank.

teejay;n14442 said:
Just a thought reading your post, a piece of flat fibreglass sheet under your tank will last much longer than ply, won't need treating, be lighter and thinner for you in your attempts to fit the tank - maybe?

That would be better then ply :)
However .... What I now have in readiness in fact is a couple of large sheets of aluminium that I kept when I dismantled the Hydraulic lift and took it down the recyclers. That I think should be ideal for undertank protection

Sounds good. Are you going to make it a flat 'shelf' type fitment?

teejay;n29432 said:
Sounds good. Are you going to make it a flat 'shelf' type fitment?
I need to drop the carrier frame first to be totally sure, but I would think so, with the two ends probably curved round around the two end bars OR some U-Bolts securing the sheet if I make it wider than the carrier, with all sizes based on an LPG round tank (if I repurpose one), or just use a rectangular tank. And then secure the tank to the sheet I would imagine using straps.
(it makes sense to me to utlise the carrier frame as it was professional mounted to hold a fairly heavy wheel and still looks the business)

I am pretty set on using that carrier to support the Diesel Heater Fuel Tank for ease of filling and proximity to heater. And where the Spare Wheel was actually originally Factory Fitted (right at the back before relocated to make room for a Hydraulic Lift) will be where my Grey Tank is now going to go. This will also allow me to do is fit a much larger tank IF I want to (so also lets me shop around for best deal that way :) )

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back