Grey waste

BlaenafonTours

What are the views on grey waste disposal if your not on an official site. Not a problem I have but a friend of mine is a newbie and asked the question. Is it ok to drain into a roadside drain?
Thanks in advance
Gerry.

What do the put on fireworks...
Light the blue touchpaper and retire to a safe distance !

Reactions: Dee
Ok I will stick my neck out and be ready to hide in shame.
At the end of the day I fail to see anything wrong with letting grey water go in verges, drains or even on grass as long as someone else is not about to follow on to that spot . I always save washing up water to throw on the garden at home especially as where we live you learn to be economic with water. What really anoys me is to see people letting it go in the street.

Yep..It is all about..
How and when and where.
We throw all our washing up water on the Garden.
When we camp on a farm-site the owner encourages grey water to be dumped round the edge of the field where there are trees.
Trees drink a vast amount of water !
With regard to the previous comment (#3) it is all about other peoples perception.
So just dump grey water sensibly and in such a way as not to antagonize others.
If disposing in the wild make sure it is not going to pollute a nearby watercourse which would affect animals drinking stream-water

I don’t dump any grey waste other than in approved places however if I was really desperate I would follow the guidelines as above but use some sort of coarse filter to remove the small particles of foodstuff.

I don’t know what’s going on with other people grey water but I really to not have “ partials “ in my grey water. Maybe it’s the little hymer baskets that sit in the plug hole that catch these bits. I empty often and never have a full tank of grey. I carry a collapsible bucket (£4) from BM store and pour mine on a grass verge, hedge or a roadside drain. My bucket or two is not going to pollute the country side. Even if we all emptied a bucket or two it’s not going to make a difference. There are certainly less nasties in my water than all the Sunday car washers make or the tyre and engine residue on the roads

On THSs the normal rule is to empty grey waste along the hedge bottoms or around trees, unless the land owner asks us to do something else such as put it in a drain.

I can't see any issue releasing it into a roadside drain if that is the only option tbh...we have done the same ourselves.

When on site we either catch it in a bucket and pour it down a drain or under bushes/trees etc as stated, if this is deemed acceptable by the site.

Graham when your MH is not being used

I have for when parked on grass a bucket with several holes drilled in the bottom I then either put some dried grass or a JCloth type thing in the bottom I leave the drain tap slightly open as it trickles out it filters out any food waste and the liquid just soaks away I then dispose of the filter material in the bin it keeps the mosners happy.

I am sure some roadside drains have much worse liquids (compared with grey water) put down them.
Not that I would use that an excuse for doing similar.. But grey water is surely OK OK OK
Best to stop with your drainpipe directly over the drain but somewhere suitable such as a quiet layby.
Just this what the Layby Cafes might do with their dirty water (and worse) again not using that to excuse poor management of grey water !
We bought a big Aldi container last year as an emergency item for the contents of our (toilet) cassette (it will hold about 2x cassette)
Never used it for this yet but do find it very handy for emptying grey water into it and then disposing...saves moving the vehicle.

Last edited:
Best to stop with your drainpipe directly over the drain but somewhere suitable such as a quiet layby.

There lies the problem, the majority of people have more chance of winning the lottery than being able to position the waste pipe over a drain.

The very fact there`s probably a drain somewhere in the same county will do for them nobs hence you see waste water running across car parks.

Joe public sees liquid coming of a motorhome and instantly thinks ............................... must be shyte, dirty barstewards.

I find it quite amusing when folk get going about grey waste, it's no different to what goes down the plughole at home and into the drains so just put it down the drain. No drains available? then as others have said, drop it into the dyke back as we call it round here (the edge of the field would probably be a better description).

I find it quite amusing when folk get going about grey waste, it's no different to what goes down the plughole at home and into the drains so just put it down the drain. No drains available? then as others have said, drop it into the dyke back as we call it round here (the edge of the field would probably be a better description).

I find it quite amusing that you don't know that what goes down the drain from your home goes into a sewer, unless you are not in main drainage. Many roadside drains take rainwater to rivers and other outlets, not sewers. So when you let your grey water down a roadside drain you have no idea where it's going or what it might pollute. Far better as someone has already mentioned to dispose of it on open ground where someone else will not be affected by it.

I would normally use facilities as we have a large waste tank, but really do not see a problem with my collapsible bucket and emptying along a hedgerow or similar if we are out and about. What I really object to, are the 'dribblers', who think that it is OK to put it on the road surface.

Try and use bio washing up liquid like Ecover, if you read the back of Fairy Platinum for example it says it's extremely harmful to aquatic life.

The whole thing about dumping grey water is do it wherever you like and avoid being seen, it's just water for all intents and purposes, but the great public think you're dumping your toilet waste because they think the worst of us.

Grey tanks are purely there for when parked on hard surfaces and the water would run everywhere and be unsightly.

I find it quite amusing that you don't know that what goes down the drain from your home goes into a sewer, unless you are not in main drainage. Many roadside drains take rainwater to rivers and other outlets, not sewers. So when you let your grey water down a roadside drain you have no idea where it's going or what it might pollute. Far better as someone has already mentioned to dispose of it on open ground where someone else will not be affected by it.
All the grey water from canal boats etc. goes directly into the river

I have big bags which i have round my wast with a tap and pipe running down my leg,when i go for a walk along the prom i just open the tap and behind me i hear folk saying,o my goodness there goes another old camper driver ready for the old folks home.

I have big bags which i have round my wast with a tap and pipe running down my leg,when i go for a walk along the prom i just open the tap and behind me i hear folk saying,o my goodness there goes another old camper driver ready for the old folks home.

Have you got used to the catheter then... ;)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back