Have you started draining down yet?

I assume anyone fully "draining down" is laying up their motorhome until the spring?

Last night I turned on my Electric Water Heater on permenantly and put it on the "frost" setting as a precaution. Will just whack it up to full when I next go away (Moffat meet probably).
Might put the mini oil rad in the underbed garage, again on the frost setting just in case to protect the 25L water containers.

I do have a room temp sensor and get an email message if it drops below my preset temp so I can go and 'take action' if need be :)

What kit do you use for this remote temperature reading?
It's connected to the Victron Venus GX. I have one sensor for the room, one in the Fridge and also one on the battery bank and can configure high or low alarms on any of them :)
(The Venus GX is connected to a little matchbox sized router to a MiFi to let it send the info via the VRM Portal).

Yes I did mine at the first frost. I only have a campervan so its not a big deal and I dont want any damage. I get by with carrying a water bottles for any short trips I do. Does for tea etc with no frost risk.

I have a proper newbie question please? Bought my first van in August but not able to use it as much as I'd like due to new grandchild/elderly mother needing help, so unlikely to be away in it over Winter (East Anglia). It is described as 'fully winterised' to (I believe) -15*C (grade 3 European standard) and was used by previous owners all over Europe in Winter (ski-ing etc). So does this mean I don't have to drain water/heater etc, when just parked on my drive, until temp gets that low? Or am I only safe if it is being used when it's that cold, with heating and hot water on so that van inside doesn't get that cold? I do use it as my daily drive (or maybe every other day). Many thanks in advance ! ( Autosleeper Fairford 2016 based on Peugeot Boxer, if that info is relevant)

Last edited by a moderator:
It needs draining down unless you are using the heating and hot water.

It’s the fresh water tank, boiler and Thetford cassette, better safe than sorry 😐

I've always completely drained down after every trip, all year round... fresh, waste and boiler. I just have a thing about leaving water in the various tanks and pipes to 'fester'... much prefer to let the air get to it and fill fresh each time, even if there's only a week between trips. The only one I don't empty is the toilet flush tank. Having said all that, I rarely get home with much water left, so it's no use trying to make me feel guilty about waste 😜

I've always completely drained down after every trip, all year round... fresh, waste and boiler. I just have a thing about leaving water in the various tanks and pipes to 'fester'... much prefer to let the air get to it and fill fresh each time, even if there's only a week between trips. The only one I don't empty is the toilet flush tank. Having said all that, I rarely get home with much water left, so it's no use trying to make me feel guilty about waste 😜

Me too, but my fresh water tank is for the loo as well, it sounds like you have a separate tank for your toilet 🚾?

Me too, but my fresh water tank is for the loo as well, it sounds like you have a separate tank for your toilet 🚾?
Yes... it looks the same as usual with the white tank sitting up behind the loo but there's a separate fill point outside.

Drained down this afternoon because of the forecast, but planning to be out and about next weekend.
I don't like wasting water, but it's cheaper to lose some water than keeping heating on in the van.

I don't think we've had a frost yet but I drain the grey tank as soon as get home and the fresh tank is indoors.

I drained down a couple of weeks ago..
Tonight the temperature is down to minus figures so I'm pleased I did.
I only have a fresh water tank, waste tank, and toilet flush anyway. No boiler to worry about.
Throughout winter I just use plastic water containers and refill them as needed. A watering can kept in the loo compartment for flushing.

certainly went cold this morning! -4C inside the camper and the doors were frozen to the seals :(
bit late but still in time (to protect the water pipes) luckily, I plugged in the little oil radiator and put in the garage on frost setting. not bad power useage either - so far it pulls 500W for just 5 minutes and kicks on every couple of hours - so in around 9 hours that heater (plus fridge) have used 3.6% of the battery SOC, so won't have to worry about plugging in to EHU for quite a few days :)

We tend to drain down both grey and fresh water after every trip, to ensure we are fully loaded with fresh supplies and ready to go for every trip. One thing I was advised to do with our first motorhome: Never leave the grey water drain open when the Moho is not in use. It’s a 4cm pipe, which is more than enough for nasties (rats/mice) to crawl up, and they can, apparently, jump considerable distances to get to an open tap!

When stored (at a local farm), we also leave a Marten ultrasonic deterrent module running to flood the space under the motorhome with nasty noises, which keep rats and mice away!

The heater on "frost" isn't quite enough I think?

Went into my Camper around lunchtime today and was presented with this ....
1574173066128.png

Pipe behind has frozen water in it so heater turned up and some warm heat onto the pipework. Fingers crossed all will be ok!

We tend to drain down both grey and fresh water after every trip, to ensure we are fully loaded with fresh supplies and ready to go for every trip. One thing I was advised to do with our first motorhome: Never leave the grey water drain open when the Moho is not in use. It’s a 4cm pipe, which is more than enough for nasties (rats/mice) to crawl up, and they can, apparently, jump considerable distances to get to an open tap!

When stored (at a local farm), we also leave a Marten ultrasonic deterrent module running to flood the space under the motorhome with nasty noises, which keep rats and mice away!

Well said, as a retired electrician I used to maintain the electrics on a farm, it was a regular thing to see rats, yes rats, wandering through a 32mm conduit, along with 4 x16mm single core cables

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back