Heart bypass travel to Europe

village

Hi awaiting quadruple bypass. Feel 100 percent fit walk 3 - 4 miles 7 day's a week condition under control . There appears to be 37 weeks waiting time for papworth have current ehic card . Would like to travel Europe for three months Have you had similar experience and what action did you take IE medical insurance. Thanks in anticipation

I’m not advocating anyone to do the same thing as me. You have to make up your own mind.
When I had my quad and valve replaced, I had the choice. Stay in the UK, or have the 2x3 month trips into Europe
Because of the treatment I’ve received, I’m unable to get travel insurance. Funnily enough, I was passed fit to continue driving at C+E.
I depend on the GHIC (note, no longer the EHIC) card. Travelling home, should anything happen to me, is a problem I’ll sort as and when if I need to.
If anyone disagrees with the way I deal with travel, fine. You are entitled to your opinion, as am I.

I depend on the GHIC (note, no longer the EHIC) card. Travelling home, should anything happen to me, is a problem I’ll sort as and when if I need to.
If anyone disagrees with the way I deal with travel, fine. You are entitled to your opinion, as am I.
I cannot get travel insurance either Del, I have the same idea as you, it isn't a problem to sort until you need it.
I am sure the WC pony express will get you home, there are a few with top boxes or trailers :ROFLMAO:

Why can you not get travel insurance after you have had the op and got the all clear Del/Tezza?

Why can you not get travel insurance after you have had the op and got the all clear Del/Tezza?
I didn't get the op and I haven't had the all clear, I have a dead heart muscle due to congestive heart failure (cardiomyopathy) lifestyle changes help to a point but it doesn't cure it, I feel OK if I don't overdo anything but I was advised not to travel so to get travel insurance I would have to lie which is not worth doing

A lot of insurers seem to treat 'awaiting medical treatment' as 'travelling against medical advice' [in broad terms], Neil

Steve
Yes I agree while waiting, that’s why my consultant said I wouldn’t get travel insurance until after surgery. Del is talking about a while after surgery and rectification of problems I think though. Not certain if Tezza is all clear or ongoing so May be different but don’t know til it’s cleared up

Edit: then again not sure if I will need it anyway, not a lot of interest in taking the van out the U.K. with current restrictions and requirements. May hop on a ferry for a dash to Netherlands though as they do some tempting offers. One of granddaughters and husband went last week for £49 each all in. Of course that would mean I have to renew my passport first, wasn’t bothering til I knew I could travel if I wanted to 😂😂😂

Yes I agree while waiting, that’s why my consultant said I wouldn’t get travel insurance until after surgery. Del is talking about a while after surgery and rectification of problems I think though. Not certain if Tezza is all clear or ongoing so May be different but don’t know til it’s cleared up
Sorry, Neil, I thought your response was in reply to the OP who is awaiting the operation! I shall exit stage left and hope nobody notices my cameo intervention :ROFLMAO:

Steve

It might be more to do with the replacement aortic valve . Dunno. SAGA were the only ones offering cover. And the amount they wanted was eye watering.

If anyone has any information as to how I can get healthcare cover, at sensible rates. Don’t be shy, share 😬

I’m going to use the 90 day turnaround while I’m still able. I bought Demi for 10 years of travel. I’m already six years in. Even with my rubbish maths, that’s, oh, ah, a lot more trips . Must be getting on for several.
The UK is fine. Travel in Europe is so much less hassle. Better Aries, roads and weather. If only the French would speak English, life would be so much easier.🙄

Last edited:
Just seen SimonM’s bit. I’ll try LV again next year

I seem to recall that @marchie has posted in the past about https://subscribe.axa-schengen.com/en/step1 for which there are apparently no medical questions/ exclusions.
True, Tony. We're about to make the choice between a single [maximum 180 days cover] trip policy [about €596 for 120 days] OR an annual Multi-Trip Policy [limited to 90 days per trip] at €656, the premiums being based on a couple insured. There is a chepaer policy, the main differences being a lower medical cover limit of €30,000 and the 'uninjured' person of the couple having to fend for themselves [€370 for a couple for 119 days single trip]

AXA Schengen Travel Policy

Steve

True, Tony. We're about to make the choice between a single [maximum 180 days cover] trip policy [about €596 for 120 days] OR an annual Multi-Trip Policy [limited to 90 days per trip] at €656, the premiums being based on a couple insured. There is a chepaer policy, the main differences being a lower medical cover limit of €30,000 and the 'uninjured' person of the couple having to fend for themselves [€370 for a couple for 119 days single trip]

AXA Schengen Travel Policy

Steve
Beware of low medical cover. Relatives are currently pondering having to sell their house to pay for further treatment of their son after limits were reached. Amazing how quickly things add up.

Beware of low medical cover. Relatives are currently pondering having to sell their house to pay for further treatment of their son after limits were reached. Amazing how quickly things add up.
Which is why I highlighted the difference in medical cover as well as the 'you're on your own' for the party who is not ill/injured with the lower cover policy. I have posted only the link, am not providing advice within the definitions of the Financial Services Act et seq, and leave each Forum Member to make his/her own decision on what cover suits them best. We intend to take the higher level cover, the only choice being whether we choose a single trip policy or a multi-trip. Our initial plans may push us towards a single trip policy and then take an Annual Multi Trip Policy to synchronise the foreign travel outline plans

Steve

Reactions: 2cv
IMPORTANT UPDATE: I have been poking around on the AXA Website before I purchase the Travel Insurance [Good news is that VISA Credit Cards are accepted so we don't have to hammer our French Bank Account which is approaching the stage where it will need topped up ...] and have found some additional bits of information:

1. Payment can be made by Credit Card [VISA, Amex etc]
2. There is no Age Limit for cover
3. During the purchase process Health Questions will be asked, but AXA do say that Cover can usually be arranged. Undeclared conditions are not covered. I imagine that there may be an addtional premium. Unfortunately, there is no 'before you get a quote' screen to declare health conditions, so I cannot make a 'dummy purchase/quote' to test for the impact on premiums. The FAQ Section of the Website contains the following answer re declaring pre-existing medical conditions:

Yes you do- and AXA has made it easy for you to do so by answering a few quick and confidential questions during the quote process. This means we should be able to make an offer that covers the conditions you have declared. Claims relating to undeclared conditions will not be covered.

I'll post a further update when we purchase and have actual information on any premium increases or refusal/limitation on pre-existing health conditions. It's a little disappointing that this is not mentioned in the basic quotation screens, but nothing is perfect and old age doesn't bump up the premium!

Steve

It might be more to do with the replacement aortic valve . Dunno. SAGA were the only ones offering cover. And the amount they wanted was eye watering.

If anyone has any information as to how I can get healthcare cover, at sensible rates. Don’t be shy, share 😬

I’m going to use the 90 day turnaround while I’m still able. I bought Demi for 10 years of travel. I’m already six years in. Even with my rubbish maths, that’s, oh, ah, a lot more trips . Must be getting on for several.
The UK is fine. Travel in Europe is so much less hassle. Better Aries, roads and weather. If only the French would speak English, life would be so much easier.🙄
Strange, consultant didn’t think it would stop travel insurance once everything was sorted and mine was aortic valve replacement. Stopping you getting it and how much they charge are two different things though.

I never used to get travel insurance as such when I did go over to Europe, I used to make sure I had breakdown/recover and personal accident insurance. I wouldn’t pay the amounts Steve has posted so if it came to it I would join Del and Tezza and wing it lol. I wasn’t risking it pre-op though as they seemed to think demise was imminent 👍

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back