Hot EHU plug

GMJ

When packing up recently at a campsite we use frequently in Cheltenham, I noticed that my EHU plug was really warm to the touch on the plastic outer case and the pins were too hot to touch.

I've never noticed this before. The EHU worked fine plus as I say we have used the site many times before (although not that particular pitch).

Any thoughts folks?

It's first on the list to do (y)

I’d be having a closer look inside the plug, I’m assuming it’s the end of the cable from the pitch socket. i had some issues with one several years ago and when I opened it up it was noticeable that damp had crept in and the wires had got corroded for several feet along the length. I replaced it completely.

Something is making a bad connection. Which end was it? Van or post?

The male plug at the pillar. I'll have a look shortly and open it up...if it ever stops raining that is!

Have you got the link you can connect at home with the Domestic Plug on , then u will see if it's your lead or the site Post that is at fault ??

We were only using what we normally use tbh Trev...fridge on constantly but little else. When on metered sites we use between 5-6Kwh in any 24 hour period so not heavy users.

The site has a 16A supply from memory and very little draw from us. The cable we have is 2.5mm as well not the more usual 1.5mm.

i have never known a site which you can run heavy equipment without tripping most in Europe are 6A or 12A or the uk .if its getting warm or hot its a connection . cheyenne

Have you checked for a loose connection within the plug / socket?

As suspected the live connection had started to burn through. Probably loose or water ingress. Anyway I've ordered another plug and I also checked the other end which was fine as it's kept plugged in in a locker on my Autotrail. Saying that, I gave all 3 connections a couple of turns with the screwdriver to tighten them up just in case.

Cheers all

I’d be having a closer look inside the plug, I’m assuming it’s the end of the cable from the pitch socket. i had some issues with one several years ago and when I opened it up it was noticeable that damp had crept in and the wires had got corroded for several feet along the length. I replaced it completely.
Good call there. These plugs are not waterproof by any means and the damp will get in. I think I would have been inclined to chop maybe 6" off and get a clean set of wires, but if the corrosion crept up several feet, best to bin and start fresh (y)

Yes they are only IP44 not fully waterproof so it is strange that we all use them when you consider how shite the weather is in the UK!

I'll chop a bit off my cable when I rewire tomorrow and check it.

Yes they are only IP44 not fully waterproof so it is strange that we all use them when you consider how shite the weather is in the UK!

I'll chop a bit off my cable when I rewire tomorrow and check it.
Good point. I wonder if it’s possible to get a fully waterproof one? What do boats use for their shore connections? I can feel a search mission coming on!

When packing up recently at a campsite we use frequently in Cheltenham, I noticed that my EHU plug was really warm to the touch on the plastic outer case and the pins were too hot to touch.

I've never noticed this before. The EHU worked fine plus as I say we have used the site many times before (although not that particular pitch).

Any thoughts folks?
Over heating can be caused by the connection terminals in the plug becoming loose, check the tightness of all terminals.

That's a great idea. I'll try that....

Once it has got hot, stop using it until you have taken it apart to check.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back