How long should you leave the motorhome without moving it

[h=2]How long should you leave the motorhome without moving it[/h]

If you look at your car park ticket it will tell you what time to leave:Thumbs_Up_Hand_Sign

barryd;n7936 said:
Actually Steve I meant to mention that. I dont have a battery master but I do have a solar panel and last winter I was sat in the house and I could hear this screeching noise like an alarm going off and I traced it to the low voltage warning on the MPPT Controller! Thats never happened before so I figured somehow the controller not getting any sun was dragging the battery down so Ive disconnected the solar panel this year and isolated the battery. I Got this current hab battery at Battery Megastore in Caen and its not that great I Dont think. The Banner battery I had for about seven years before was better and 110ah as appose to 125ah with this one. I never got around to fitting a battery master to keep the cab battery topped up as Im too feckless to do it myself and it looked a PIA.

Have you cleaned the solar pane?? It does help.!!!

Ray.

raynipper;n7975 said:
Have you cleaned the solar pane?? It does help.!!!

Ray.

Dont be stupid Ray! I aint going up there. :biggrin: It was kicking out more than enough power all summer for our needs. Its superb but I reckon the battery isnt that great as it can be fully charged but my morning has dropped a fair bit more than the old one used to. Nothing serious and it doesnt matter as its charged again by lunchtime, just an observation.

barryd;n7893 said:
OMG! What have I done? :Flushed_Face_Emoji:

Just maybe Barry, to quote Sydney Carton in Dicken's 'Tale of two cities' -

"It is a far far better thing I do now than I have ever done"

Time will tell - probably when the free membership ends.

If not successful, you are for the guillotine my boy - despatched to "a far far better place"

That will give you something to look forward to - one way or another.

Your evil f(r)iend, Geoff

Aldra;n7862 said:
I’ve not left MHF

it it was my first love , a place of safety

if it folds I’d hate to lose touch with the remaining members

it it was bad enough losing touch with so many that left

but hey it seems many are here

so I’ll stay on both

I’m not really savvy on different forums

so it’s a big deal to me

aldra

The 'Hound from Hell' looks very dark over here Sandra :Sunglasses_Emoji:

I try not to go more than 4 weeks without taking it out for 50-ish mile run including a quick 1 - 2 junction blast on the motorway.

I try to keep camping all year if at all possible but if I'm home for a few weeks, I tend to plug in. I pop a very low wattage convector heater in the van when I'm home in the winter to keep the worst of the chill off and make sure everything's drained and the taps are open, as well as all the cupboard doors. I also pull all the seats and cushions away from the walls a bit.

When I first had the MH, the engine battery used to fail after about 2 weeks... new battery too. Once a solar panel was fitted, that and the battery master have always kept it topped up nicely.

Beware the lure of the moisture traps. Anyone who's ever accidentally tipped one over in the van will know only too well about the sticky, oily mess that takes months to clean off.. the devil's work :Smiling_Devil_Emoji :Grinmacing_Face_Emo

Thanks for all the useful replies and also the useless ones. :smile:

Its an interesting one someone made earlier about vans standing for months without moving on dealer forecourts but I dont think its good for them. Ill try and give it a run soon, even if I have to re tax it just to take it up the road. Actually I could always just bounce it around the farmers field at the back of our house instead. Ill have to move it next week as the oil man is coming and its a bit tight on the drive for him to get past :smile:

hank_drive.jpg

barryd;n8190 said:
Thanks for all the useful replies and also the useless ones. :smile:

Its an interesting one someone made earlier about vans standing for months without moving on dealer forecourts but I dont think its good for them.

The dealers don't care if the batteries die it's a few quid to replace them , on 2 different brand new vans we have had to have a chassis battery replaced and the habitation batteries on the other !

barryd;n7936 said:
Actually Steve I meant to mention that. I dont have a battery master but I do have a solar panel and last winter I was sat in the house and I could hear this screeching noise like an alarm going off and I traced it to the low voltage warning on the MPPT Controller! Thats never happened before so I figured somehow the controller not getting any sun was dragging the battery down so Ive disconnected the solar panel this year and isolated the battery. I Got this current hab battery at Battery Megastore in Caen and its not that great I Dont think. The Banner battery I had for about seven years before was better and 110ah as appose to 125ah with this one. I never got around to fitting a battery master to keep the cab battery topped up as Im too feckless to do it myself and it looked a PIA.

Barry,if you have a solar panel and storing the truck off ehu a battery master or similar is an essential item in my opinion.You should never have a flat cab battery and there is no faffing disconnecting anything during the colder months,it's a fit and forget mod.The van bitz one is a bit expensive but I believe that CAK Tanks do supply a similar device that is much cheaper.

Thanks chaps. Yes they do sound like a good idea but Ive never got around to having one fitted. Unofficially ive been changing vans for about four years so never bothered but there it is, same van, still on the drive. :confused:

Last month, I got in the moho to drive it for the first time in a month. Battery was completely flat. Had to call the AA to get me moving. Went for an hours drive/potter to charge it up to full. I check the engine battery level more often now and go for a pootle if it's looking low.

How about putting a bit more air in the tyres before putting the van in that tight spot Barry? You only have to move the van forwards or back a foot to be on a fresh part of the tyres.
Luckily we don't have to worry about space to shunt about. :Hugging_Face_Emoji:

Milly;n8514 said:
How about putting a bit more air in the tyres before putting the van in that tight spot Barry? You only have to move the van forwards or back a foot to be on a fresh part of the tyres.
Luckily we don't have to worry about space to shunt about. :Hugging_Face_Emoji:

I wonder if it makes a difference it being on gravel as Ive not had a problem with the tyres but then it usually gets moved every two or three weeks.

We go away in ours every 3rd week throughout the year (including through winter) so no issues for us
smile.gif

Graham
smile.gif

Hank the Tank has been away on Holiday on his own. I had to go away to Manchester to work (and to drink lots of beer) and we had an oil delivery coming so I had to move the van onto next doors drive, so its been sat on there since Wednesday. A journey of at least 30 metres! Connected the battery and turned over and started fine and again just now when I drove it back home (30 metres) :biggrin:

So just pulling the battery cable off seems to cause no issues. It did have a new battery not long ago as the old one was always dead after a couple of weeks of standing but the vans been stood there since the end of October with the battery disconnected and it started today like it was fully charged. Think it should be ok really.

I can't believe you don't use it in the winter Barry...

Can I ask why, since you love going away in it at other times?

Graham
smile.gif

Cos ees usualy pissed................ errrr sorry, muled wine.

Ray.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back