How to repell flies?

GeoffL

Visited the van at the storage compound today and found hundreds of flies had taken up residence in between every door and its frame. So, for example, when I opened the habitation door loads of flies swarmed out and the edge of the door and inside the frame were thick with flies. I suspect there are so many flies because the storage compound is on a farm.

I'd be grateful for any pointers on how to get rid of these flies and how to stop them from returning.

Thanks for looking, Geoff

Sounds like an infestation of cluster flies. The attached article gives you some background info, but I don’t think there is a domestically available solution other than normal fly spray to kill on contact. Orientating the van so that the door is north facing would help if that’s possible.
Dave

Thanks Dave. If that article is correct then the problem should be over soon for the year. That said, it's a PITA to open the hab, locker or cab doors to get met by a swarm of the things. I was hoping there was something that could be sprayed or swabbed onto the frames to repel them from taking up residence again. FWIW, now that you've made me aware that 'cluster flies' exist (and there's me thinking they were house flies), I've found https://www.clusterflies.co.uk/, which seems to have a lot of info and some products for sale. Thanks again, Geoff

You are welcome Geoff, they were unknown to us until we renovated my mum’s old house and opened up the attic trapdoor, they just exploded out of the opening, dead and alive, horrible !!

Here is another thread on these flies. One answer is from a former professional fly killer. ;)

We had cluster flies in our last house. One day the sitting room was full of them. They love the sun & come out when it's shining.
We just blasted that room with fly spray every time we saw any for weeks.
Next year we only saw a few so hopefully killed most of them before they could lay eggs.

I have those in three velux windows. Horrible buggers. Not found a cure and just avoid opening those windows for the couple of months in question each year.
Not much of a solution if they are ina door frame though :(

FWIW, in my case it is only the south facing velux windows that get them - the north facing Velux windows are always clear of them. (It must be the warmth).
Oh. On that point, wait until it is cold (early morning, late evening rather than midday) before opening windows to clean out. They will be near comatose and easier to vacuum up!

We stored our van on a farm whilst the Iva and import paperwork was sorted out,
We moved into the van in December the van was full of them every gap and locker that had been available to them was used this became more apparent the day we put the heating on they were even in the awning rail and all the window frames
Our problem was sorted by turning the heating up and finding a nice sunny hillside to open all the lockers, two years later we still get the occasional one that comes out and buzzed around

We have the window stickers on a few windows and seem to keep them under control. The older rentakill ones were best, but discontinued. This year we also run a electric electrocuter from toolstation. Makes you smile every time you hear that crack sound.

Ooops, forgot the link in my earlier post.

Ooops, forgot the link in my earlier post.

Many thanks. Lots of promising info there including the link to the Rentokil stick to treat the affected frames. So, from that and info on this thread I suspect that the best course of action is:
  1. Park the van with the cab or rear facing south so that the side windows and doors don't get much direct sunlight.
  2. Remove all traces of the flies and, because they are attracted by a pheremone that hibernating flies release, thoroughly clean the frames and seals with a mild disinfectant.
  3. Use a Rentokil stick to treat the frames and seals so that any flies that return die.
  4. Carry out steps 2 & 3 at the end of Summer and each time the flies return.
FWIW, my van is stored with the cab facing south. Further, I suspect that getting rid of the pheremone will have the biggest effect.

Many thanks to all, Geoff

I checked our van yesterday as I have seen a lot of cluster flies in the cottage. Not a single one in the van.
Mind you we did use a smoke bomb thingy after we cleaned & winterised him after our France trip.

We used fly spray on the windows shutters, thousands of them, dropped like flies literally :)
had to do it a few times and each time more flew way the rest stayed to die . The year after more appeared, a quick once over again with the spray and all gone. not seen any for 3 years now

Be aware make sure you remove gas alarms, smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors as the smoke bombs can damage internal workings

We had our cottage treated with smoke bombs because we had gutted it & all the timbers were well exposed.

Despite checking, an old smoke alarm was left inside, & was going off but we couldn't do anything.

I had to post notices on the doors & windows to prevent anyone calling the fire brigade.😊

Spiders and there webs in mine now and again,very lucky they tell me and a sine of no damp.

I was sure i had membership till end of November so i will have to pay up at some point any way the best way to keep fly's out of your van my wife swears by citrus she put's them round the doors and it seem's to work
bill

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back