How to Turn a Drama Into A Crisis, NHS Style

Not up to speed on current working practices so some of my arguments may be flawed for which I apologise.
Back in the day SRN's were told it was illegal for them to strike; how many checked the validity of this I have no idea but the concept certainly hampered pay demands.
As far as staff shortages that is something that in the past has been ameliorated by recruiting from abroad both qaualified and student nurses. That has been, I would imagine been severely hampered by Covid. Nursing was not a well paid position in the past but its 'staus' as a profession gave it a little standing but not the respect it has gained since Covid. It's lack of a decent salary was often jusified because it was seen as a 'calling'. Of course as a predominantly female profession it also suffered from the female wage gap. As the nursing qualification has gradually become a more academic one nurses are no longer paid as they train. This from an old ladies perspective has led to two things happening. Less awareness of the foibles of everyday bedside nursing and nurses left with huge debts from student days that are not supported in subsequent salaries. Being a graduate is not just student loan debt.
Back in the day if an SRN made a mistake the buck stopped with her; this meant that belonging to a proffesional body for protection was a must but also you couldn't work if you weren't registered. I know if someone who missed her payment deadline by one day and wasn't even allowed to do paperwork and was sent home until it cleared.
There has always been bed blocking and a shortage of home carers; now however carers can earn more money as cleaners or possibly in a supermarket.
Top heavy beaurocracy, petty rules, and equipment purchasing are features of the finances of the huge thing that is the NHS that has always needed to be seriously addressed to free up money for front line staff. (Covid ppe a modern example.
Think I'd better stop before you all fall asleep. Sorry.

The politics killed life on MHFacts.

That's why there are some familiar names now on here and the Wildies.
I was meaning life will go on fine without politics on here, but TBF I didn't think it had got out of hand or anywhere near it but rules is rules.

We have this ability to not receive emails from topics we don't like, same on facts, and most forums, you are not forced to look, in the titles say it all as does this thread, the NHS was bound to be political but just about any subject will these day as there is a so much wrong with this country right now, but we've been advised so I'll have to stop there.

We have this ability to not receive emails from topics we don't like, same on facts, and most forums, you are not forced to look, in the titles say it all as does this thread, the NHS was bound to be political but just about any subject will these day as there is a so much wrong with this country right now, but we've been advised so I'll have to stop there.
you are right of course Titles are indicative of content but I think it probably better for everyone if political matters are aired elsewhere. After all there are plenty of places to do it.

you are right of course Titles are indicative of content but I think it probably better for everyone if political matters are aired elsewhere. After all there are plenty of places to do it.
I agree, but perhaps if Admin wanted to there could be an isolated part of the forum where such serious things might be discussed in private away from the general populace, maybe with an access code/password which admin or Moderator could revoke if it went OTT.

Having said that I'd not be bothered either way as I don't have serious enough views about politics or religion, just an opinion now and then.

I think just about EVERY option of allowing folks to discuss politics on the various forums ....has been tried...

It has always ended up in a bun fight when someone or several someone's inevitably can't act like civilised human beings ...
Hence the no politics rules ....

Helps keep the forums pleasant places to visit ...

Plenty of easily found political forums out there for anyone that wants them .

Last edited:
As said not bothered, but it could be done.

Perhaps the NHS should stop employing Agency staff and instead start it's own Agency. Pay slightly more per hour but non of the benefits of being fully employed. People can then make their own choices. Work when they want for as long as they want.

A separate and isolated forum was tried on WC a few years ago, but merely resulted in fall outs and unpleasantness. As has been said there are plenty of dedicated places for political discussion and the rules here keep this a friendly and enjoyable place to visit.
Yes, perhaps its time to lock this thread.

I don't at all. it's just commenting on life now, there is no animosity or even argument, just some points of view or ideas on how perhaps we can come out of this horrendous situation.

MPs earn more than Nurses. MPs' salaries have increased [v. inflation]; those of nurses have not. Perhaps we should lobby for MPs salaries' to be downrated to the 2010 level plus the nurse percentage payrises. And then remove the subsidised House of Commons Bars and restaurants and the allowable expenses. Should release a few £ for more merited pay awards

Steve
That would lead to more mps leaving than nurses ,??

That would lead to more mps leaving than nurses ,??
Not at all, Barry. There was a further article yesterday that highlighted the earnings of {IIRC] some £15.2 million amongst all MPs from 2nd jobs, despite MP supposedly being a full time job

Steve

Not at all, Barry. There was a further article yesterday that highlighted the earnings of {IIRC] some £15.2 million amongst all MPs from 2nd jobs, despite MP supposedly being a full time job

Steve
Yep makes me wonder how they manage

I'd happily retire some of the top brass, a bit of lead in the lug hole would do the trick.

The main reason there is a shortage of Nurses is the poor system of payment during training and the need for people to be qualified technically at University.

My Daughter was paid very little under the Bursary system while training. Her Daughter has just qualified recently and was paid around the same amount as her Mother under the new system. The old system was means tested and it looks to me like the new one must be too. In both cases they were paid around £80 a week for the years of training and they had to buy their own textbooks etc.

Most of them work really hard and are dedicated, but my ex used to complain about a few under her just slacking all the time but getting rid of them was very difficult, you'll get that in any walk of life, people doing the minimum and others having to pick up the slack.

Most of them work really hard and are dedicated, but my ex used to complain about a few under her just slacking all the time but getting rid of them was very difficult, you'll get that in any walk of life, people doing the minimum and others having to pick up the slack.
Covid certainly proved that.

My Daughter had less to do as she normally works in and around the Operating Theatres. She often ended up working on the Covid and High Dependancy Wards 7 days a week to cover for absences. Strangely, it was the same set of Nurses who regularly phoned in ill.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back