How to Turn a Drama Into A Crisis, NHS Style

Depends on their grade. Most are band 5 and start on £27000 rising to £32000 after several years
But they pay £120 a year to be registered & parking at the hospital is quite hefty cost. Since the bursary was scrapped, they also gain a student loan acquired during three year training.
When I was training, a friend's son started in the Police force on more than I would get when qualified. The wages are not horrendously bad imho but out of sync with other services. Plus nurses now take far more responsibility for skills & duties which were covered by doctors, saving the NHS money and allowing junior doctors to work reduced hours.
It takes several years and experience to get to a band 5!

It takes several years and experience to get to a band 5!
Band 5 is the lowest qualified nurse grade? Train three years and start at band 5. Unqualified nurses can take training to get to band 4 from Health Care assistants....call them support workers or various other titles, but take on more roles now as Nurses also take on more.

Liz said something about teachers going on strike FFS have they not just had two years off.

NO! They've had two years of providing on-site education for the children of key workers plus regular lessons via zoom to everyone else. they've also stepped in and sorted out problems with exam qualifications, for which Gavin Williamson received a knighthood.

You'll also find that many schools acted as local hubs providing care, food and advice to people struggling financially or with mental health problems during Lockdown.

Some people have short memories; especially politicians! I think there is an ONS survey today showing that average wages in the private sector rose by 7% over the last year whilst public sector workers got 2.3%. Many of those private sector workers will have been receiving furlough payments for 18 months; very few public servants did!

Gordon

It was said tongue in cheek Gordon, maybe us pensioners should go on strike and everyone else then the country will be in even deeper shit.

It was said tongue in cheek Gordon, maybe us pensioners should go on strike and everyone else then the country will be in even deeper shit.
There are logisitical problems, Kev, such as the inability to use a Zimmer Frame and carry a Banner at the same time. And the chanting, 'What do we want?'
'Want what?'
'When do we want it?'
'How can I answer when, if I don't know what I'm asking for, or why? Now, what did I come in here for? ...' :rolleyes:

Steve

Why anyone is at all surprised at the fact of Nurses taking strike action. The facts speak for themselves, when Railworkers are on salaries far above (the nurses), where furlowed bye and large during the pandemic, and still believe they need to be paid more? in order to continue running a pathetic so called "service", while till having a final salary pension to look forward to. Something which most comercial enterprises had to divest years ago as being un-afordable. With salary and conditions in (say) Aus, or Canada far above those of the UK, many will vote with their feet anyway. Sacking strikers who have complied with the current balloting rules, is anyway not legal. Unlike the old (corrupt) show of hands which lost so many working days in the 50`s to 70`s. Much of the issues are still the same, union Bosses who are determined to bring down a legitimatly elected government, for their own political ends, history repeats itself. BUT, IMHO, The real crisis had been in the making for 30+years, relying on "imported" labour and closing teaching schools was so short sighted. But Governments of all colours ignored the warning signs, as they did over pensions too. Hey-Ho, what goes around comes around.

Pete
I'm not so sure. This government was certainly not "legitimately elected". Despite getting fewer than 50% of the votes cast, the Conservatives ended up with a huge majority.

But then the government changed and the electors were given no say in the new government.

I'm not saying this government wasn't legally elected, but I am saying it wasn't legitimately elected.

When it comes to nurses and railway workers, both groups have been offered pay rises well below inflation, so that constitutes a pay cut in real terms. Why should they accept that?

The nurses are understaffed and overworked and are aware that the supermarkets offer shelf stackers more money for less hassle.

The rail workers are huge profits going to the rail companies (mostly overseas rail systems who subsidise their home fares from profits made in the UK) but are also being asked to work on rest days, accept less safe working practices and accept worse employment terms in return for real-terms pay cuts.

As a non striking member of the NHS. No nurse is any of my hospitals have been threatened with sacking. Also on strike days the nurses are running to a pre agreed staffing level. There is also a facility to recall nurses (agreed with nurses) if circumstances put patients at risk.

NO. The threat of sacking is contained in this latest bill which is going through Parliament today. The government has admitted that it will have no effect on the current round of strikes (apart from pissing off the workers involved).

Gordon

Depends on their grade. Most are band 5 and start on £27000 rising to £32000 after several years
But they pay £120 a year to be registered & parking at the hospital is quite hefty cost. Since the bursary was scrapped, they also gain a student loan acquired during three year training.
When I was training, a friend's son started in the Police force on more than I would get when qualified. The wages are not horrendously bad imho but out of sync with other services. Plus nurses now take far more responsibility for skills & duties which were covered by doctors, saving the NHS money and allowing junior doctors to work reduced hours.
People here would be lucky to get that money in a mth never mind a week.

What sort of people?
Are they folk who have studied from the age of 16 to 21-25 without being paid; now taking life-or-death decisions every week, probably staying at their post until a task is finished because they can't just walk out on a patient in the middle of treatment?
Or are they those very necessary workers who went straight into stacking shelves at the local supermarket (for example) and who are still doing it: no responsibilities, 9-5 Mon-Fri (I know those hours are no longer the norm, but you gather my meaning I hope) plus overtime?

I never got this sort of money:

Fury at care home chief who has doubled his pay to £2million... more than 100 times what many of his dedicated frontline staff get for working day and night​

• Dr Pete Calveley, 60, is the chief executive of Barchester Healthcare
  • His pay doubled to £2.02million in 2019 - 120 times some of his care assistants
  • Care Quality Commission say one in ten of his homes 'requires improvement'
  • Campaigners say pay packet is a 'slap in the face' to carers working on front line

Gordon

If you believe the Media, it means that shelf stackers in Supermarkets (paid more than Nurses remember) are on more than £27,000+ per year. Which equates to £519.23 per 40 hour week or £12.98 an hour.

I have yet to see proof of this but if you look for shelf stacking jobs then you will find plenty of Agency jobs offering £10 to £14 an hour in various Supermarkets. These are temporary jobs and permanent Staff employed directly will be on a lower wage. This is normal, I know because I did a lot of contract work myself and understand the system. Agencies also tend to be less than truthful with pay rates. The (seemingly) higher rates will only be for overnight work at weekends with a lower rate for other times.

I know that some members will be affronted by my post as it does not suit their political views but I believe the Press and Media cannot be fully trusted these days and seem to have an agenda.

Aldi starting payrate this year starts at £11 hr and £12.45 within M25. This increases with length of service. They pay the best but the others are not too far behind. Don't know the current agency rate.
My niece was planning on training as a midwife and took a stopgap job in Aldi...has now decided against training as the university loan and pressures are putting her off. Think/ hope she will do it in a year or so but the job she is in pays her way and is pressure free. :cry:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back