Human thermals

We bought Didrikson & FjellRaven anoraks for a Norwegian Cruise 5 years ago and Rab Heavy duty 'Rigger Gloves', with me adding the Rab Inner Liners because of Raynaud's Disease. Windproof over trousers [Berghaus or similar] and wooly hat [some times wear a pair of hand knitted hats, one inside the other with first longer to reach bottom of neck, and the pair together to trap warm air] or a Thinsulate Hat and then Walking Boots/Thermal Socks of [Elaine's] choice. Boots and anoraks are 2 of the few things she will spend money on ... :oops:

Steve

Brandy...!
Works a treat....
The more you drink, to prepare yourself.....
The less likely you are too go outside in the cold.
Trust me, I've done the research.

Whatever the reason, the layering principle is what outdoorsy people adhere to - rather than one bulky item. So you start with base layer, like merino, then a mid layer such as shirt and trousers, then a fleece, then a windproof/water resistant top and finally a shell outer which is wind and waterproof and breathable, not forgetting a hat or beanie, gloves, a down gilet, thick socks and good boots.

You wouldn't even have to light the fire. ;)
It's called onion method. Three thin layers are better than one thick layer.
Base, mid and wind/waterproof is fine for temperate climates.
My last base layers were from Primark, about six years ago.
Also check out dare2be from Halfords.
Any cycling store will have a selection.
Even eBay for army surplus.

My parents always bought Damart.

I've heard Marks & Sparks sell good ones too.

I bought some fleecy lined leggings off ebay a few years ago from China, but when they came they are more like very thick warm footless tights, not proper leggings, so I wear them under my trousers or jeans when I go out walking in very cold weather. Cosy.

Warmest socks and gloves I have found are the ones labelled "Heat holders".
The Chinese certainly know how to make warm clothing. It gets very cold in China, -20 where I worked. My Apartment only had a limited electricity supply and it was easy to trip the breaker. My Duvet looked very thin, so I went to bed waring a T shirt (I always sleep as nekkid as a Jaybird, to quote the song) but found that the Duvet was excellent and I did not need any clothing in bed.

I have pullovers but I prefer to wear padded shirts as sold by the likes of Arco and Screwfix for burly builders.

It's not all about you Trev
Ok smarty pants, just wondering why the lass is cold, some heat in one room is better than no heating.
Maybe she is out walking, then sports thermals would be good, or ones for motorcycles, esp the biker jackets are really cosy.

Last edited:
Ive used darmart for years in my forester past when I had to do a lot of standing around in the cold.

You'd be surprised by the number of people using Wully's tights idea..
Motorhomers.. ( We were Snowbound, one October, in Marsden in the Pennines. Parked on the cricket field for the Jazz festival.) Drifts right up to the wheel arches, on our winter escape south. Obviously no thick winter clothes.
Cyclists, motorcyclists and Truckers. ( Though some of them prefer the stockings and suspenders way, I'm told.. it makes peeing into a bottle, en -route, much easier.
Crotchless is the way to go. 😂

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back