Human thermals

Hope my question has became more pertinent with the icy blast that has now hit us. The gear was actually for 2 teenagers who were doing order filling in Tescos whilst waiting to move into more ed. Both were starting at 6am so leaving at 5.30 to get there. The frozen section is particularly chilly as you can imagine.
Me; I live in a house built at the turn of the last century. There are drafts from heaven knows where. Lots of layers during the day with a heated shoulder blanket when reading or watching tv. I almost feel guilty that I can put the heating on when so many with children are struggling.

I just went around ours and bled them all, a tiny bit of air, a couple are in need of replacing but plumbers are exorbitant around here and it's not a job I can do, I changed two when we moved in, but they are old imperial ones and need the adapters to fit metric rads, PITA to do but we could do with two more doing.
New-type rads are 30% more efficient, control is very important, money wasted even more.

We are in a terraced row of late Georgian/early Victorian houses built between 1820 and 1840, and most have been 'converted' [i.e. crudely chopped into two, 'Top and Bottom'] flats. The previous owners were too slow to demolish the rear garden wall and build a garage, so our Flat is about the only one that a] has no off street parking; and b] has a Grade A property listing, that requires Historic Scotland approval to change anything [including the 65 year old 2 glazed panel front door that fits where it touches, is not an architectural special feature, but which Historic Scotland will not allow to be replaced], so ripping out Boilers. insulating upgrades etc are verboten! A Historic Scotland employee told me when I enquired that the ventilation is much better for the property and the occupants' health [which was true during COVID; the whistling wind off the Firth of Forth, 100m away from the leaky front door changed the air about every 60 seconds; shame about the hypothermia]

Steve
All I can say is move or ask the council to pay the heating bill, I would.

Hope my question has became more pertinent with the icy blast that has now hit us. The gear was actually for 2 teenagers who were doing order filling in Tescos whilst waiting to move into more ed. Both were starting at 6am so leaving at 5.30 to get there. The frozen section is particularly chilly as you can imagine.
Me; I live in a house built at the turn of the last century. There are drafts from heaven knows where. Lots of layers during the day with a heated shoulder blanket when reading or watching tv. I almost feel guilty that I can put the heating on when so many with children are struggling.
Many good cheap well built homes here if you want to move, LOL, only thing is you will not understand a word of our lingo. 😂

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back