Hydrogen trains now

I have the memory of a goldfish, but Google knows all :D :D

A yes but you have to remember the names to ask it and names are not my thing. So you are obviously better equipped than I.
You gave me the name "Duck" so I Googled Duck Energy, seemples, like me :D :D

While we're on the subject...Ukraine installed substantially more onshore wind turbines than UK in the last year. Says it all really.

Problem with that is it must charge batteries to stabalise the output, so back to childreen diging up earth for elements to make the batts, more polution, and then disposal of when knackered.
Where are you getting the information that children are digging up rare earth elements to make batteries, the increasing pollution and that disposal is an issue?

Use fossil fuels to produce electricity, then in turn use this electricity to produce hydrogen which is convert back to electricity to be of use 🤔

While we're on the subject...Ukraine installed substantially more onshore wind turbines than UK in the last year. Says it all really.
But Ukraine is more than double the size of the UK with only slightly more than half the population; they have S P A C E, Man S P A C E and with a huge area in central and eastern Ukraine that is pretty flat.

The real shame is that the UK is only now manufacturing its own wind turbines. The vast majority have been imported.

then we have to dispose of them as the blades are wearing out from all the crap in the air.

But Ukraine is more than double the size of the UK with only slightly more than half the population; they have S P A C E, Man S P A C E and with a huge area in central and eastern Ukraine that is pretty flat.
Er yeah, but they also have something else going on at the moment. Political decisions were made here to stop anymore onshore wind, that decision was then reversed but has not been carried through. Just words.

Problem with that is it must charge batteries to stabalise the output, so back to childreen diging up earth for elements to make the batts, more polution, and then disposal of when knackered.
Couple of things to put right here. Children digging up rare earths to make batteries? not sure where you get this from but manufacturers of EV batteries have spent a lot on ensuring that the supply of cobalt they use comes from reputable sources. 50% of the cobalt mined is used in the refining of petrol and diesel where the source is less well regulated.
EV batteries are fully recyclable, after they have had a second life as storage for homes and industry. However LI batteries are not the most efficient way of storing energy. In Orkney they produce Green Hydrogen, made from water using renewable electricity, which can then be used to produce heat and power. https://www.orkney.com/life/energy/hydrogen.
Other storage methods are also being used including Flow Batteries that use no "rare earth" elements.

I think I read somewhere that they can use superheated salt to store energy too, or maybe I dreamed it.

There was a report of superheated sand being used too but I have heard no more than that. The war is probably the reason FOR Ukraine being so keen on renewable energy.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back