I am thinking of selling my motorhome and doing a self build!

Admin

Administator

Before I got the Hymer I had dreams of doing my perfect self build, now after owning the Hymer for two years and doing everything I can to upgrade it I am now thinking it may be time.

So I am considering selling the Hymer and doing my own self-build van. I could either sell it as is with all the gadgets fitted or remove them all for transfer over to the new van. I think that unless someone really wants all the tech I am likely to remove it and reinstall it in the new van.

I would need to do the build in the new year as I am too busy until then. I have most of the skills required to do the build and a great community to support more.

What do you think?

If I was younger and fitter then I would love to do another home build, I converted an Iveco Daily in the 90's and I had never done any woodwork since leaving school, we loved that van and the chance to do another with the knowledge built up over the years since then would be a dream come true, it will never happen for me though but you should go for it.
Find the right base vehicle, a suitable place to work on it and a few freebies from suppliers for their products appearing on your youtube video of the build and get on with it

If you’re breaking that old Hymer I want first dibs on that battery set up. Go for it you’ve defanetly got the know how to do it.

Cool :)

What base vehicle?

Even if someone does want the tech stuff, I think you'd still save money by moving what you want to keep to the new van.

I’m only joking someone will snap that hymer up with the upgrades that Phil’s done. Think if I was ever going down this route my first thing on my list would be a 4 wheel drive base vehicle and as much tech built in to cab area as I could get.

Sounds interesting. Panel van, or cab chassis and build or have built body too?
New Iveco 4x4 panel van looks interesting.

I have assisted my brother in converting a panel van using the innards of a caravan and thoroughly enjoyed it. It became apparent that it is a long job and needs a lot of thought, but often thought about doing one myself when I retire (as I would then have the time) but with still 4 years to go, I am already restricted with slight health problems, so don't leave it too late to do it.
My ideal van would be 4x4, long wheel base and German.

Before I got the Hymer I had dreams of doing my perfect self build, now after owning the Hymer for two years and doing everything I can to upgrade it I am now thinking it may be time.

So I am considering selling the Hymer and doing my own self-build van. I could either sell it as is with all the gadgets fitted or remove them all for transfer over to the new van. I think that unless someone really wants all the tech I am likely to remove it and reinstall it in the new van.

I would need to do the build in the new year as I am too busy until then. I have most of the skills required to do the build and a great community to support more.

What do you think?
For the way and amount you use your motorhome currently, a conversion based on a 7.5t truck or a coach would be really good :)

I would say the number of people who would want the kit you have installed AND willing to pay the price you would need to charge to cover its cost would be quite small so transferring over to the new van would likely be the way to go.

It would be great to build your own but when you get your tvan to the level where mostly it is all singing and dancing and all you should be doing is heading out for enjoyment.I know you love adding and upgrading,but you never really get back what you have put in.Anyway,whatever you do i am shure it will be the dogs wollocks [didnae want a bad word in case a wiz sacked,hehe] If you really want to do it do it.

With your experience, you must know by now exactly what you need and don't need, so go fer it. Loads of self build knowledge on here and on Motorhomebuilder.com. Good luck with whatever you decide (y)

my favourite vehicle was the 1 1/2 decker . bed upstairs and a verandah on the front which gave you a good chance to enjoy the views without having to mix with passing oiks. get a big enough payload you can carry a car under the rear seating area

4x4 .... why?

If the idea for changing is to go overlanding around the world then yes, 4x4 for sure (y) Get a 30 year old Army truck with 1,000 miles on it and build a custom pod on it ? ? ? ? ? (this book is a very informative read - https://amzn.to/2PNIItd ).
If the idea is the desire to 'scratch the itch', but the usage is pretty much the same as before (wild camping / motorhome meets where, if access was only possible with a 4x4, there would be very few folk attending) then a 4x4 just means more complexity, more cost, more weight and reduced fuel consumption but little actual real-world benefit.

my favourite vehicle was the 1 1/2 decker . bed upstairs and a verandah on the front which gave you a good chance to enjoy the views without having to mix with passing oiks. get a big enough payload you can carry a car under the rear seating area
Not sure about the car bit but the rest sounds brilliant :) (would it come in at under 7.5t though? I am assuming the typical motorhomer has no more than a C1/D1 license).
I was speaking to a chap last year at a C&CC FOL who had an American 5th wheel with an accompanying enormous Pick-up. That looked really good but would be a nightmare to drive for most folk I would imagine (this chap was a retired trucker who used to transport pipelines to Turkey so he obviously wasn't phased in the least of course)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back